Min Jeong Kwak | Golden Skate

Min Jeong Kwak

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
It's was a dissapoint season for Min jeong Kwak.
I was so sad about her score at the worlds championships. She should have earned better score with this skate :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhmpn1SQw-c

Do you think that she can rebecome what she was at the olympic games ? She was simply fabulous and hope for the future this year :cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAzVj70r3j4

What are you thought about her skating ?
Does, she needs to comeback with Brian Orser ?

Why would MJ need to come back to Orser? He was her coach only for just a month after olympic season. MJ's main problem is constant injuries. You see her body shape has changed since then and I don't think we'll ever see her in Olympic shape to pull off again while she has definitely improved in non-jumps areas.

Korea is in desperate need of new talents in senior scene asap.

icellist

On the Ice
I am a big Min Jeong Kwak fan. While I don't think she deserved to advance to the free skate in 2010 worlds, she deserved to advance this in 2012. The lutz and axel looked rotated to me while the salchow was pretty obvious. Her first spin was judged fairly but the levels on the spin and step afterward were lower than I expected. I felt that she was skating more in rhythm at Nice than at 4CC too.

Compared to Haejin Kim and Soyoun Park, she doesn't have the jumps but has the better carriage and choreography. Since the olympics, Kwak's combination jumps have become more fluid; they were so awkward in 2010. Back injury have been plaguing her since summer of 2010, only doing her signature bielmann less frequently. I do have to say that her lutz is lovely with a deep, without of doubt, correct outside edge. If you look at her exhibition programs, her axels have great height and good flow coming out. Her salchows also have very deep edges. Her flip is ok, but from what I remember, her toe loop and loop were pretty horrid. She can't do any of the hard combinations like the other two.

She was not under Brian Orser for a long time, so I don't think that was a problem. Since she is part of Yuna's agency, I think Yuna was probably paying the bill for her to train with Orser and could not continue after the KimxOrser coaching split, but I can't imagine many good coaches in South Korea. If MJ wants to stay training the Korea, she should go to Yuna's coach circa 2006. Like l'etoile said, it's mostly injury; she kept off the ice this past summer because of a thigh injury.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't think this skater will ever generate much interest outside Korea. There is nothing special about her athletically nor artistically. Not being cold but honest. There must be a huge group of girl skaters in Korea. One day Yuna will have a worthy successor, but it will take time.

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

Min-Jeong had difficulties with her jumps, as she had to cope with body change and injuries past season. She’s grown a lot recently and filled out quite a bit. She’s a national team member and shares the practice ice with Yu-Na. She’s I think in good hands, being coached by Hye-Sook Shin, who coached Yu-Na during her early teens. Hope she come back strong next season!

brightphoton

Medalist
I remember her at the most recent Worlds. Unlucky break for her, really got dinged on underrotations. What puzzled me was how elated she was for her landed "triples" and how surprised she was at her score, as if she didn't even know she had underrotated all of them. Anyway, she seems like a nice girl, but I don't forsee any more improvement from her. Just ain't got the jumps.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Min-Jeong got accepted to one of Korea's major universities I heard, so she may be starting (or have already started?) her studies there so I do not know if she will continue to skate competitively. I heard she wanted to retire after last season, but felt that she had to stick in one more season until Hae-Jin is old enough to compete at 4CCs and WCs, which she will be this coming season. I think it's been hard for MJ, she's constantly injured and for the past season or so always looks to be in pain after she competes, and then that coupled with the body changes and un-ideal training situation just makes things even harder. She scored well at the Olympics because she was so small and underweight then that she could get the jumps around enough to get full credit. She's never been a strong jumper though, apart from her 2a which is quite nice, and now that she is a more normal size, it's more apparent. If she even continues, I don't expect her to get back to her 2010 form, just because the jumps aren't strong with her toe-axel and URs, even though the rest of her skating (step sequences, speed, strength, flow) have improved since then.

Anyways, I thought she was undermarked at Worlds, she had one < call in her 4CC SP and scored 48+ which would have been more than enough to qualify her for the FS. To me, her 2a looked around enough at Worlds to get full credit, and even with a second < on the 3s, she should have scored enough to make the cut had her PCS not oddly dropped 5 points from 4CC. Like honestly, I don't know what that was all about, the performances were nearly identical, and she's not even American so her scores at 4CC were not very inflated at all.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyways, I thought she was undermarked at Worlds, she had one < call in her 4CC SP and scored 48+ which would have been more than enough to qualify her for the FS. To me, her 2a looked around enough at Worlds to get full credit, and even with a second < on the 3s, she should have scored enough to make the cut had her PCS not oddly dropped 5 points from 4CC. Like honestly, I don't know what that was all about, the performances were nearly identical, and she's not even American so her scores at 4CC were not very inflated at all.

There were four Asian judges on the 4CC panel, and NO Asian judges on the Worlds QR panel.