Sasha's latest journal entry | Golden Skate

Sasha's latest journal entry

euterpe

Medalist
There is isn't much in this 'journal entry' except a lot of schmoozing about Robin and about how much "FUN" Nationals is going to be.

Please. This journal is written expressly for heavy-duty Sasha fans. There is no real information in it, it's just plain fluff.

lavender

Record Breaker
Everything seems to be 'really fun'. I just wonder why (if everything is ok with TT) she doesn't know if TT left or not.

I haven't been reading the big long thread on this, so I've been out of the loop. The only thing about Sasha's journal entry that was a new slant on things at least for me was Tarasova's health and all the travelling. Hadn't thought of that. Had heard Tarasova say she missed living in Russia and wanted to be there more in a section of her book somebody translated on GS last year, but I didn't put much emphasis on it.

At least reading just the first two paragraphs, I felt there I got some insight into the "why" of this change. Sasha says at one point, "I never thought I'd be coached by Robin [Wagner]!"

Even so, the timing still seems odd. All Tarasova had to do was travel with Sasha to Atlanta and Dortmund and then RW could have taken over in the summer. Methinks that although the health and travel issues are definitely real that there is also more to it--not that we'll ever hear anything except "fun" from Sasha's journal, lol. But that's what all skaters do--put positive spins on coaching changes.

I just wish they would train at Chelsea Piers so I could go watch!
Rgirl

Spark

Rinkside
I know, she must have used the word "fun" about ten times in the last two paragraphs. The entry sounded quite vague and awkward when describing her new coaching situation and preparation for nationals. As if it were written by a little girl. Not much detail at all. Her evasiveness makes me think she's having doubts. If she really felt positive about the change, I think she'd be more specific in WHAT is so much "fun" about working with Robin, and WHAT she's looking forward to about nationals.

Tarasova's health has been mentioned in other threads, and is the official reason both Cohen and Tarasova gave for the split. I doubt it is the main issue though. It seems unlikely that Tarasova would be going all over the world with Sasha to her less important competitions and suddenly be too weak to go with her to nationals in her own country.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is the first time I've seen Sasha's journal--thanks for posting the link.

I paged down and read all the entries dating back to last winter. Pretty interesting. I noticed immediately that there was no entry after Worlds last year. Maybe the disappointment of not winning a medal there, much less the gold medal, was just too great to write about.

Based on the journal, I would guess that the decision to split with Tatiana must have come recently. There are a lot of mentions of Tatiana right up until Nov. 18, after the Lalique Trophy, with no hint whatsoever that there was anything wrong.

I can't believe it was solely Tatiana's health that caused them to split. I just can't see that, unless Tatiana was literally at death's door (which hopefully is not the case).

Whatever happened, it sounds to me like Sasha is now trying to put the best face possible on the split with Tarasova, but is a little overwhelmed and perhaps a bit scared about this enormous change in her life. (I know I would be, if I were her.)

One thing that comes through loud and clear in her web diary is how much she loves skating and everything associated with it. She has such high hopes and big dreams. Her passion for the sport is moving.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Lots of fun and lots of baking it seems. Surprised to learn that she celebrates Christmas.

Piel

cianni

On the Ice
cianni

It was reported on another thread that Sasha said she doesnt know how to use a computer. Its one of her fans that posts these updates. This may be the reason it sounds like a 12 yr. old wrote it. Could be true.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Is it time to give Sasha a break?

I too appreciated the link as I have never been to "Sasha's Journal" before. It was interesting to read that entry.

I'm a Sasha fan, and also a Michelle fan and a Jenny fan and a Fumie fan and the list goes on - I just love watching a great skate!

I'm starting to think that the skating fan base is getting a bit hard on her about the coaching change issue. There is no doubt in my mind that the change was due to reasons other that strictly TT's health. We may or may not ever know the full details, and it's probably none of our business anyway.

I have seen Sasha bashed harshly on other boards for not saying anything herself about this change (i.e. we need to hear it from the horse's mouth - stuff like that). Now she says something about it, and that is criticized too. Did anyone really think she'd "say something" (and there seemed to be some pressure for her to do so) and then put a NEGATIVE spin on it?

I too wonder how much "fun" she is having right now - right before nationals, tons of pressure, new coach, tons of speculation with the TT split, etc. And there is no doubt the press has been and will be hounding her for the "scoop" during Nationals - when she will probably just want to be left alone and focus on her skating.

So...I say...time to give this girl a break.

DG

Jhar55

Medalist
Thanks for the link.
My question is what does she need to do the her programs to make them more comfortable? Shes been doing these programs all season and if she not comfortable by now she never will be.

So...I say...time to give this girl a break.
ITA, Dgirl. Thinking back on it from Sasha's first silver medal at Nats, she's been whupped for everything from being a "brat" to being a "circus freak." She certainly has her weaknesses, but she's also a beautiful skater and as far as I know she hasn't had an affair with anybody else's husband.

OTOH, I've been on the FS boards for about three years on and off and it seems that there's always somebody--I should say some woman--who becomes the Erica Kane of figure skating. First it was Tara, then Pasha Grishuk, Katia Gordeeva got it for a while when she was living with Ilia and pregnant before they got married, and now it's Sasha. Usually, though, people tire of beating up on one person and find another. Back in the '90s, nobody could stand Surya Bonaly. When she turned pro and won one of the last of the World pro competitions, she was the media and fan darling. And now even Oksana Baiul is being welcomed back. Just human nature I guess.
Rgirl

PS To address Jhar55's question: Sasha's also been making her programs more difficult, especially in the last few weeks. Plus, she's not secure on certain jumps. Finally, you can be comfortable with a program in GP events and practice, but to be comfortable at Nationals and Worlds, you want to be REALLY comfortable. I think "comfortable" is also another word for "consistent." Sometimes skaters have a program for two seasons before they're really able to skate it to the hilt--thinking Shen & Zhao with "Turandot." Just some thoughts re your question.

Last edited:
G

God

Holy me! This girl abuses the word "really." She used it 12 times in this entry, or once for every 48 words. Does Pilates affect brain cells?

Then again, I'm not one to talk. I abused a close relative of the term—"verily"—ad nauseum in the King James Bible. Yes, that's the official word of God, although I did ghostwrite portions of Dianetics...

My golly gosh, God! (How's that for redundant?) I'd recognize that writing style anywhere! But then, who wouldn're recognize God's style?;)
Rgirl
Aw, c'mon, won't God please turn on His PM feature?

G

God

My PM is called prayer. Alas, my "prayer box" has filled up with spam. You have no idea the petty things people will pray for. I'm a deity, not a plumber/doctor/stocking mender/organ size increaser! And to all sports fans, please stop asking me to intervene in athletic competitions, that's Satan's department (1980's "Miracle On Ice" being his proudest achievement). Although, I can be persuaded to help a certain Asiatic American skater win that elusive Olympic gold if her fans would sacrifice squirrels to me (throw it on the ice after she skates in lieu of teddy bears).

rtureck

Final Flight
God said:
Although, I can be persuaded to help a certain Asiatic American skater win that elusive Olympic gold if her fans would sacrifice squirrels to me (throw it on the ice after she skates in lieu of teddy bears).

Pause for some British squirrel music:

British Light Music - Tomlinson / Tomlinson, Slovak Radio

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1093506

Track 6. First Ste of English Folk-Dances: No.5 Hunt the Squirrel

G

God

Thank you rtureck for turning me onto this delightful accompaniment for one of my favorite pastimes! The British aren't so bad after all. Now I have to reconsider my plans to destroy the Isles...

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
God's PM

God said:
My PM is called prayer. Alas, my "prayer box" has filled up with spam. You have no idea the petty things people will pray for. I'm a deity, not a plumber/doctor/stocking mender/organ size increaser! And to all sports fans, please stop asking me to intervene in athletic competitions, that's Satan's department (1980's "Miracle On Ice" being his proudest achievement). Although, I can be persuaded to help a certain Asiatic American skater win that elusive Olympic gold if her fans would sacrifice squirrels to me (throw it on the ice after she skates in lieu of teddy bears).

I'm praying for...

TT to be healthy (guys please don't take this the wrong way- I think TT, Tchaikovskaya, and Zmievskaya need to ummm...lose weight, and visit cardiologists)

Irina and her mom to be healthy

Oh- can you give Kevin van der Perren a medal at worlds, then have him on the COI tour, make sure he gets lost when they get to sports arena, so I can meet him...I am his most obsessed fan LOL (he's too cute)

G

God

Don't worry, Tarasova will outlive us all (except me, of course). Don't let her heft deceive you, the combination of vitalizing vodka and insulative fur coats has kept her body in prime condition.

Irina will be fine. One look at her ruddy cheeks will reassure you that she is not one to let a few diseases set her back. Alas, her mother... Well, I'll pick out a nice room for her.

The skating judges are the ones who decides if Mr. VDP will get a medal or not. I'm only in charge of Judgment Day. Although, it seems to me that he will benefit from having a triple axel, maybe even a quad, and music unrelated to Bryan Adams and Kevin Costner.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Kevin Van Der Perren

God said:

The skating judges are the ones who decides if Mr. VDP will get a medal or not. I'm only in charge of Judgment Day. Although, it seems to me that he will benefit from having a triple axel, maybe even a quad, and music unrelated to Bryan Adams and Kevin Costner.

Well, how about making his shirt burst open mid-routine?

Signed,

In lust with Kevin (van der Perren, not Costner)

Hi Doggygirl - I'm with you on the Sasha bandwagon for carrying on this change of coaches ad infinitum but it is not unusual . When MK left Frank (you were not around then), there were pages and pages of this sort of thing with the intent of making MK an evil person for leaving her coach of so many years, and she did it before an Olympics! At first I was curious as to what happened between MK and Frank as I am with Sasha and TT. But when theories remain therories, it then becomes, for me, boring.

I have my own feelings about both cases: MK had an awakening as for the need to up her skating a notch. Her skating had become just so 'matter of fact'. It worked, not so much for the 2003 World;s Gold but because her skating did go up a notch (and at an older age!).

I would presume Sasha, too wanted to up her skating in some fashion and apparently, TT was not able to assist in that particular area, so she left TT.

I believe this is the way it's done in Sports. The NY Giants are changing coaches and maybe the NY Jets should think about it.

What makes the difference in the two skaters was that Sasha had the sense to get a new coach before Nationals while MK made a booboo in going the Olys alone.

Until we get more concrete reasons for both of these splits we have to put up with the theories. Some of them are a hoot. Fast forward to their retirements, we will get the book version. Until then, the theories which come close to being picadillos will continue.

Joe