Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Figuring out the GP slots (Ladies)

Custom Title
    I'm going off the basis that most competitors are usually invited to an event again and my SA host pick predictions from http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post642554
    Just for the American ladies:

Ashley Wagner gets SA (national champion, first time at this event) and NHK Trophy (had this event for the past 4 years)

Alissa Czisny gets SC (invited 5 times) and CoC or NHK (invited once both in 2007)

Caroline Zhang gets TEB or SC (2008, 2009) and CoR (never invited before)

Mirai Nagasu get CoC (past 3 years) and CoR (never invited before)

Agnes Zawadzki has not skated at both TEB and CoC

Gracie Gold gets SA host pick and other

Christina Gao gets SA host pick only

Most likely:
    SA: Wagner, Gold, Gao
    SC: Czisny, Zhang
    CoC: Nagasu and Zawadzki
    CoR: Nagasu and Zhang
    TEB: Gold and Zawadzki
    NHK: Czisny and Wagner

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    NHK: Czisny and Wagner
    Impossible for Wagner to be invited to NHK. There is NO WAY the Japanese fed is going to invite Ashley over Kanako and Mao and they're only allowed 1 from the 4-6 at Worlds. So not NHK for Wagner.

Earlier in the thread someone predicted TEB for Wagner; that would make my year (or skating season). I've been hoping for Wagner to get TEB since I became a fan of her right after her 2007 TEB performances. Paris is only a couple hours away for me

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Miki has already made her entry by now according to her plans. She has said she might pull out if she can't regain full motivation, but I think the JSF will sort of make her stay.
    Since she now trains in Japan, I think she'd have wanted places like China or NHK.
    She should be in the "comeback skater" category so she'll be assigned 2 spots, I think.

Custom Title
    Can someone start a thread like this for the men?

Custom Title
    Will do. Pairs is next, then men, then dance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Impossible for Wagner to be invited to NHK. There is NO WAY the Japanese fed is going to invite Ashley over Kanako and Mao and they're only allowed 1 from the 4-6 at Worlds. So not NHK for Wagner.

Earlier in the thread someone predicted TEB for Wagner; that would make my year (or skating season). I've been hoping for Wagner to get TEB since I became a fan of her right after her 2007 TEB performances. Paris is only a couple hours away for me
    forgot about the seeding:

how about this...
    CoR: Gold and Zhang
    TEB: Wagner and Zawadzki
    NHK: Czisny and Nagasu

Custom Title
    Alissa should be invited at Skate Canada because it's her lucky competition cause she win a medal each times she go

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    1. Suzuki and Asada duked it out at NHK in 2008 as well as 2011. Between Murakami and Asada, the latter has more audience connection and history. If it was Suzuki and Murakami in the 5th and 6th positions, than yeah - I'd say Suzuki gets left out. As it stands, I'm comfortable with that prediction.
    JSF assigned both Asada and Suzuki to NHK because they were certain Asada would beat Suzuki, but proven wrong last year. I have no idea how certain they are this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    JSF assigned both Asada and Suzuki to NHK because they were certain Asada would beat Suzuki, but proven wrong last year. I have no idea how certain they are this year.
    They just wanted make sure that any one of Japanese skater wins. Very few people would agree that Suzuki could've win if it was not in Japan. I think both Suzuki and Asada will be assigned to NHK. Murakami cannot be trusted in this respect.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    They just wanted make sure that any one of Japanese skater wins. Very few people would agree that Suzuki could've win if it was not in Japan. I think both Suzuki and Asada will be assigned to NHK. Murakami cannot be trusted in this respect.
    I don't know what you mean by "if it was not in Japan". I'd rather think the exact opposite. Asada gets JSF's support most while Suzuki gets none. Mr. Nagakubo, Suzuki's coach said that he thought she wouldn't make it to the Olympic team when he saw the judge panel at 2009 Nationals.
    Last edited by mikeko666; 05-11-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Custom Title
    In the case of NHK trophy of last year, since Asada singled the axel and Leonova went clean in the SP, they "decided" to push up Suzuki as high as possible. If it was not in Japan, surely there's no such thing. And if they wanted to let Asada win, the 8 points difference is too much to catch up. Their priority was pretty obvious.

In addition, Ando is taking a season off and Murakami (originally considered as the solid #2) has made a horrible showing at CoC. They needed to promote Suzuki to the #2 position in order to secure 3 spots at worlds. NHK trophy (where home favoritism is always evident) was a very suitable place to do that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    In the case of NHK trophy of last year, since Asada singled the axel and Leonova went clean in the SP, they "decided" to push up Suzuki as high as possible. If it was not in Japan, surely there's no such thing. And if they wanted to let Asada win, the 8 points difference is too much to catch up. Their priority was pretty obvious.

In addition, Ando is taking a season off and Murakami (originally considered as the solid #2) has made a horrible showing at CoC. They needed to promote Suzuki to the #2 position in order to secure 3 spots at worlds. NHK trophy (where home favoritism is always evident) was a very suitable place to do that.
    How is Murakami considered the solid #2? I was under the impression that with Ando out last season and SUzuki's excellent competitive results, Murakami remained as #3...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Ashley is guaranteed two GP events, and she's the only US lady who is. She doesn't need Skate America, but the ladies who are guaranteed one by virtue of World Ranking, Seasons Best score, or JW medal (Zhang, Zawadzki, Gold) do need a second event, and may need SA.
    I think Ashley should get SA. She is the most deserving skater based on this season. Furthermore, being a home skater she will likely get a boost in scores that could further improve her reputation with the judges. What I mean is that if she scores well at SA her base mark in the judges' minds might be higher. I did feel she was held back a bit this season and I think it was due (in part) to not having a history of high scoring programs like those who placed ahead of her. While it may mean another American may not get a second event, I don't think there is a particularly compelling argument to favor any of them over Ashley.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    How is Murakami considered the solid #2? I was under the impression that with Ando out last season and SUzuki's excellent competitive results, Murakami remained as #3...
    She isn't number 2, she's number 3, next season she could even be number 4 if Miki comes back in good form, Akiko's momentum continues, and Mao is skating like she was earlier this season as opposed to at Worlds. If anything, I fear for Mao's status. Her 3a is less and less consistent, almost always cheated even when landed, and it appears she can no longer do 3-3s. If she's on form, she doesn't need these to do well, but with mistakes, she could slip to number 4 feasibly, especially if Kanako regains her form from 10-11. That being said, if Kanako addresses her URs and Akiko isn't quite so on fire next season, Kanako can easily replace Akiko as number 2 (3 if Miki comes back), as the Japanese Fed seems to prefer her.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    If this clause remains..
    "c) “Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 at any previous ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons are allowed to re-enter the Grand Prix if they commit to participating in 2 Grand Prix events. A come-back under this clause is allowed only once for any skater. ......"

it will be applied to Miki, Yu-Na, Joannie, ... and who else?

Or, will Miki and Joannie be considered as "participated" in competitive season(s) just by "Japan Open" ?
    JO doesn't have SP in it, so I don't think it means "having participated" ....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast