Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you been to any good ice shows lately?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Have you been to any good ice shows lately?

With so few shows being aired on TV, and it being the off season, I'm already missing skating. Of course, there are ice shows...but none came to my area.

If you've been to an ice show lately, I hope you'll write a review and tell us about it.

A good review is the next best thing to being there.

If you know of a show coming up, post any links to the show website in Announcements, and post a link to the Announcements thread here?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-10-2012 at 10:37 AM.

SOI in Hershey, PA, Holiday Dreams on Ice @ University of Pennsylvania Rink back in December (Johnny,Weir, Armin M., Ashley, etc.), and the two Ceasars' Tribute shows in Atlantic City so far. Looking forward to the Caesars' Tribute #3 which will be in Atlantic City. in early November.

iluvtodd, what was special or memorable about those shows?

I was at Holiday Dreams on Ice. What I remember marveling at -- stars like Johnny Weir being so attentive to his spacing in the group numbers. His fun number to Lady Gaga and his serious number (I forget the music, but don't forget his artistry), also the silence of his landings on his jumps.

Ashley looking so confident, Armin looking like a serious competitor but also having fun.

Also, my parents were so thrilled to see these stars up close (we had 3d or 4th row seats). The rink wasn't that large.

Yes, it was a little cheesy, but it was fun to see the young skaters from the community strut their stuff.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    I don't know if two months ago is recent, but I went to the Reborn Garden benefit show (dedicated to the victims of 3/11) which was one of the best things I've ever been to.

Part I and the Finale is up here;
    http://reborn-garden.com/performances_en.html

It has Yukari Nakano in it!!
    Too bad it doesn't show the solo performances from Part II. Publication rights too dear?

Every skater did quite better in the solos and the guests (Sarah, Johnny, Stephane) were at their utmost.
    The three and Miki's solo got standing ovations, especially Johnny and Stephane.

Embedding and/or copying not allowed.
    The music of some numbers could get geo-blocked depending on the country you live.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 05-10-2012 at 01:58 AM.

sorcerer, Thanks for the link!

For completeness sake, I'm putting a link to the All That Skate 2012 thread:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...2012-(May-4-6)

Custom Title
    Please visit this thread in the Announcements section for an updated list of upcoming club & benefit shows in the U.S. and Canada: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...605#post642605

Here's hoping skating fans will support any local events being held in their area and report back here!

Tripping on the Podium

Custom Title
    If you're looking for long show reviews, I can oblige.

Canadian Stars on Ice Toronto/Hamilton:
    Http://kurtfiles.com/soi/soireviews/csoi12torham.php

Doris, here are some links to reports about some of the shows I mentioned.

http://www.toddeldredgemessageboard....-Review?page=1

My friend Tara beat me to it. I filled in the music details that she was unfamiliar with. The most amazing performance was Calla & Rocky's, which brought down the house but was unfortunately "chacked" from the broadcast (along with 6 other performances). As much as I attending SOI (since 1993), this was my favorite live show ever. It was called "A Tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating." The 7 "chacked" performances, are thankfully posted on the Caesars' Tribute FB site. There was a nice tribute to "Uncle" Dickie, introduced by Scott Hamilton. Not everyone there skated, there were some interviews (Tai & Randy, Kristi, Tenley Albright, to name a few). It was a glorious night.

The second Caesars' Tribute show was a Tribute to the Ladies of Figure Skating. The cast was international in scope, and it included Katia (a replacement for Irina S. who was originally announced for the cast), Sasha, Nancy, Sarah Hughes, Shizuka, Miki, Laetitia Hubert, Nicole Bobek, Yuka, Joannie, Liz Manley, the Ice theater of New York (Eve Chalom is in that), and a beautiful tribute to Peggy Fleming by Uncle Dickie and the ladies in the cast. Several of the ladies skated to Peggy's signature program "Ave Maria." I enjoyed both Tribute shows, but I preferred the TV broadcast of the ladies' tribute, since no one (to my knowledge) got "chacked." Favorite individual performances? - Miki, Shizuka, Yuka, Nicole, Liz, but seriously, we really liked it all!

SOI - Hershey, PA 3/18/12 - http://www.toddeldredgemessageboard....ey-SOI-3-18-12

Again, my friend Tara summed it up. We had a special treat in being able to see the pre-show warm-up. Usually during the warm-up the skaters do their individual programs. We did get to see that, but with an added bonus. For the first time ever, we got to see the cast warm-up with several of their group numbers with Kurt in charge!

May I add to Kitt's comments about Holiday Dreams on Ice? Johnny's second program was to "Ave Maria," beautifully and sensitively done. He absolutely rocked the house with his Lady Gaga program! Samantha Caesario was supposed to be in this show, but was ultimately unable to be there due to illness, I think. I bought the t-shirt, and her picture was on it (I was also sad that she was injured in time for Nationals, so we didn't get to see her compete there, either). Brandon Mroz was also in the show. I know he had a tough season competitively, but he was delightful in this show. One of his programs was to "Mack the Knife," and he skated it well, and was quite flirty & playful with the audience. I got to talk to him after the show, and complimented him on his performances in this show, and wished him all the best @ Nationals. Always a pleasure to see Armin and Ashley too.
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 05-11-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the report! I'm glad to hear of so many great skates.

Thanks for the reminder about Johnny's Ave Maria, iluvtodd! Also, I seem to remember that Brandon Mroz did a playful rendition of "Greased Lightning" (complete with black leather jacket)

I too was disappointed that Samantha Caesario was not there...I was looking fwd to seeing her skate.
    Last edited by Kitt; 05-11-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: addition

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    "The Ice" 2012 cast list (announced today):

- Mao Asada
    - Kanako Murakami

- Takahiko Kozuka
    - Yuzuru Hanyu
    - Takahito Mura

- Jeffrey Buttle
    - Jeremy Abbott
    - Javier Fernandez

- Alena Leonova
    - Mirai Nagasu
    - Adelina Sotnikova

- Takahashi/Tran

- Davis/White
    - The Shibutanis

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Thanks for the reminder about Johnny's Ave Maria, iluvtodd! Also, I seem to remember that Brandon Mroz did a playful rendition of "Greased Lightning" (complete with black leather jacket)

I too was disappointed that Samantha Caesario was not there...I was looking fwd to seeing her skate.
    Thanks for reminding me of Brandon Mroz's other program, Kitt. That was great too!

I Samntha Caesario's skating, and hope she'll be @ this summer's Liberty Competition (mid July) in Aston, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    "The Ice" 2012 cast list (announced today):

- Mao Asada
    - Kanako Murakami

- Takahiko Kozuka
    - Yuzuru Hanyu
    - Takahito Mura

- Jeffrey Buttle
    - Jeremy Abbott
    - Javier Fernandez

- Alena Leonova
    - Mirai Nagasu