Have you been to any good ice shows lately? | Golden Skate

Have you been to any good ice shows lately?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
With so few shows being aired on TV, and it being the off season, I'm already missing skating. Of course, there are ice shows...but none came to my area.

If you've been to an ice show lately, I hope you'll write a review and tell us about it. :love:

A good review is the next best thing to being there.

If you know of a show coming up, post any links to the show website in Announcements, and post a link to the Announcements thread here?

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SOI in Hershey, PA, Holiday Dreams on Ice @ University of Pennsylvania Rink back in December (Johnny,Weir, Armin M., Ashley, etc.), and the two Ceasars' Tribute shows in Atlantic City so far. Looking forward to the Caesars' Tribute #3 which will be in Atlantic City. in early November.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was at Holiday Dreams on Ice. What I remember marveling at -- stars like Johnny Weir being so attentive to his spacing in the group numbers. His fun number to Lady Gaga and his serious number (I forget the music, but don't forget his artistry), also the silence of his landings on his jumps.

Ashley looking so confident, Armin looking like a serious competitor but also having fun.

Also, my parents were so thrilled to see these stars up close (we had 3d or 4th row seats). The rink wasn't that large.

Yes, it was a little cheesy, but it was fun to see the young skaters from the community strut their stuff.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I don't know if two months ago is recent, but I went to the Reborn Garden benefit show (dedicated to the victims of 3/11) which was one of the best things I've ever been to.

Part I and the Finale is up here;
http://reborn-garden.com/performances_en.html

It has Yukari Nakano in it!!
Too bad it doesn't show the solo performances from Part II. Publication rights too dear?

Every skater did quite better in the solos and the guests (Sarah, Johnny, Stephane) were at their utmost.
The three and Miki's solo got standing ovations, especially Johnny and Stephane.

Embedding and/or copying not allowed.
The music of some numbers could get geo-blocked depending on the country you live.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doris, here are some links to reports about some of the shows I mentioned.

www.toddeldredgemessageboard.yuku.com/topic/3890/Caesars-Tribute-Review?page=1

My friend Tara beat me to it. I filled in the music details that she was unfamiliar with. The most amazing performance was Calla & Rocky's, which brought down the house but was unfortunately "chacked" from the broadcast (along with 6 other performances). As much as I :love: attending SOI (since 1993), this was my favorite live show ever. It was called "A Tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating." The 7 "chacked" performances, are thankfully posted on the Caesars' Tribute FB site. There was a nice tribute to "Uncle" Dickie, introduced by Scott Hamilton. Not everyone there skated, there were some interviews (Tai & Randy, Kristi, Tenley Albright, to name a few). It was a glorious night.

The second Caesars' Tribute show was a Tribute to the Ladies of Figure Skating. The cast was international in scope, and it included Katia (a replacement for Irina S. who was originally announced for the cast), Sasha, Nancy, Sarah Hughes, Shizuka, Miki, Laetitia Hubert, Nicole Bobek, Yuka, Joannie, Liz Manley, the Ice theater of New York (Eve Chalom is in that), and a beautiful tribute to Peggy Fleming by Uncle Dickie and the ladies in the cast. Several of the ladies skated to Peggy's signature program "Ave Maria." I enjoyed both Tribute shows, but I preferred the TV broadcast of the ladies' tribute, since no one (to my knowledge) got "chacked." Favorite individual performances? - Miki, Shizuka, Yuka, Nicole, Liz, but seriously, we really liked it all!

SOI - Hershey, PA 3/18/12 - www.toddeldredgemessageboard.yuku.com/topic/3916/Hershey-SOI-3-18-12

Again, my friend Tara summed it up. We had a special treat in being able to see the pre-show warm-up. Usually during the warm-up the skaters do their individual programs. We did get to see that, but with an added bonus. For the first time ever, we got to see the cast warm-up with several of their group numbers with Kurt in charge!

May I add to Kitt's comments about Holiday Dreams on Ice? Johnny's second program was to "Ave Maria," beautifully and sensitively done. He absolutely rocked the house with his Lady Gaga program! Samantha Caesario was supposed to be in this show, but was ultimately unable to be there due to illness, I think. I bought the t-shirt, and her picture was on it (I was also sad that she was injured in time for Nationals, so we didn't get to see her compete there, either). Brandon Mroz was also in the show. I know he had a tough season competitively, but he was delightful in this show. One of his programs was to "Mack the Knife," and he skated it well, and was quite flirty & playful with the audience. I got to talk to him after the show, and complimented him on his performances in this show, and wished him all the best @ Nationals. Always a pleasure to see Armin and Ashley too.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for the reminder about Johnny's Ave Maria, iluvtodd! Also, I seem to remember that Brandon Mroz did a playful rendition of "Greased Lightning" (complete with black leather jacket)

I too was disappointed that Samantha Caesario was not there...I was looking fwd to seeing her skate.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"The Ice" 2012 cast list (announced today):

- Mao Asada
- Kanako Murakami

- Takahiko Kozuka
- Yuzuru Hanyu
- Takahito Mura

- Jeffrey Buttle
- Jeremy Abbott
- Javier Fernandez

- Alena Leonova
- Mirai Nagasu
- Adelina Sotnikova

- Takahashi/Tran

- Davis/White
- The Shibutanis

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the reminder about Johnny's Ave Maria, iluvtodd! Also, I seem to remember that Brandon Mroz did a playful rendition of "Greased Lightning" (complete with black leather jacket)

I too was disappointed that Samantha Caesario was not there...I was looking fwd to seeing her skate.
Thanks for reminding me of Brandon Mroz's other program, Kitt. That was great too!

I :love: Samntha Caesario's skating, and hope she'll be @ this summer's Liberty Competition (mid July) in Aston, PA.

"The Ice" 2012 cast list (announced today):

- Mao Asada
- Kanako Murakami

- Takahiko Kozuka
- Yuzuru Hanyu
- Takahito Mura

- Jeffrey Buttle
- Jeremy Abbott
- Javier Fernandez

- Alena Leonova
- Mirai Nagasu
- Adelina Sotnikova

- Takahashi/Tran

- Davis/White
- The Shibutanis

What a great cast!!!!!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
www.onice.jp

I went to the Saturday evening show "Dreams on Ice." I didn't plan actually, but when they added Dai to the cast at the end of May, naturally I couldn't resist. The only question was when, and while I was cleaning up my schedule, the tickets were sold out. But there is always the way out. Also, I heard that they sometimes sell tickets without seats in Shin-Yokohama Skate Center just before the show. Anyway, I had no ticket at all, so I would be happy to get in no matter with a seat or without it. I couldn't make it yesterday or on 16th morning. So I went to the ticket office on Saturday during my free-time at around 3pm. The window was shut down literally with the iron curtain, a few ladies were waiting in a line, the written note was telling that the sell will start at 5pm. I couldn't come there at 5pm, so I came when I got free but it was already around 6:30pm, the start time of the show. The ojisan in the ticket window was speaking on the phone and gave me a sign to wait. I didn't want to wait and it seemed like there was no tickets afterall, I was late. On the corner near the traffic light right next to the convinience store 7/11 there was an easily-recognized broker. Those guys are usually keeping a ticket in the hand and are always standing back to the officials. He was dealing with a 17,000 yen stuff and I am sure he would be happy to sell it at a cheaper price because the show has already started. Nevertheless, I gave him two banknotes of 10,000 yen and said some local equivalent of "keep the change" (well, in fact there is none since here there is no such a thing as tips, but you can always say what you mean). I CAN'T STAND ticket brokers! That's why I always treat them like dogs- giving them cheap digs. I am sure he was happy. Nasty people doing their filthy "business". In Russia they are like parasites, making business almost officially. I still remember Moscow Worlds and all negative stuff that those morons created around tickets sales. Once again I use the moment to tell a thank-you to Plush fans in Moscow who helped me to get an OCG card after I failed to buy Worlds tickets from Japan. The 40+yo guy in a black jacket and glasses who I dealt with today sold me the ticket that he bought in a Family Mart in Musashi-murayama-shinmei-ten, I have no idea where exactly it is. It's still in Tokyo prefecture but near Saitama? Anyway, it's not even near Yokohama. Probably those guys have a headquater there. It's not a very common thing in Japan- ticket brokers, I mean compared to Russia. But occasionally they do exist. :mad:

I entered the arena when the entrance of skaters was going on. While the staffer was showing me in the dark where to go, I had to go down to minami-arena and pass people, then again a ticket check before I entered my area, and all this was in the dark, blah-blah. So, I coudn't see well the whole entrance procedure. Narumi fell from a throw jump, as usual. Hanyu fell from a quad. Takahiko Mura landed his fantastic 3A and 3F. Dai landed his classic combo 3F-3T, then 3L and performed a very fast combo-spin. Chan fell from 3F, first he fell on a butt, then he turned around somehow and ended up lying on his tummy face down, then he tried to jump into a spin or whatever, but he landed on the knee. Boys did an eagle, girls- a spiral. That is what I could catch while talking with the arena staff and trying to get to my seat. Finally, after the entrance was over, I could reach my chair.
Baby Shoma Uno was as cute as always, his feature element- Klimkin eagle with a 2A right after was adorable. Many junior skaters did well today, girls including. They were all ice-princesses, which always bores me, but comparing how meh-ed their elder sisters did later, the youngests were kicking around quite well, all of them: Imai, Sato, Soji and especially Miyahara, very confident, with a full set of 2A-3T, 3F-2T, 3L. Risa Shoji had the most beautiful jumps of the night- a terrific combination of lightness, highness and length. Watching Hino it's hard to believe that once he was over Hanyu. They guy is simply walking on the ice, trying to land something and to look entertaining. Kenji Tanaka presented his new SP, did everying almost clean, no combo though, and caused the first ovation. Daisuke Murakami, the dude with edges, is trying to be the second Daisuke very hard. He presented a shorten version of his new FS, quite elegant but far from clean- started well but then fell down from 3L and he twice double-d what was supposed to be 3A. When I saw Tatsuki Machida, and knowing his easy-going nature, at first I thought he was going to perform some parody on Dai's EX "The Crisis". The same shirt, the same pants, even the same posture at the beginning. And then- well, that was a perfect blend of passion, where a fun guy is still trying to sneak with his light-minded nature, and then again a storm of emotions. Everything was clean, all his jumps, 3A included. The magnificent performance of a young prince who deserves a much better place in team Japan than just a spot for 4CC. Pretty much the same can be said about Takahito Mura. What a shame that Japan can send only three spots to Worlds. Mura's 3A, one of the the highest and most powerfull 3A ever, would be a jewel in any event. His style is different, he is mature and masculine, very cool and that is his way to express himself. Mura and especially Machida got the hugest ovation of the night that got later beaten only by Daisuke.
Kozuka skated the same style that he skates for years, could be enjoyable and fun with his footwork in sunglasses. But all those shaky landings, on combos, 3A and even solo 3L, don't speak well for the guy. In PIW in May he looked a little better and I had a hope that he will recover after a disaster season. But it seems like no radical changes are happening. Well, it's June and who knows what will be at JN when the team will be decided. Kanako challenged a 3L and a 2A-3T combo, and failed on both. The first lutz was butterflied, the combo was 1A-2T. She was so awfully upset that she couldn't focus after that and just kept skating mechanically, probably thinking what the hell had just happened. Narumi-Tran presented their new SP. The twist was okay, the side-by-side jump: both oops-ed. Narumi fell again on a throw jump. Miki looked beautiful and skated her "You must love me" stuff clean. But what she skated was in a la Arakawa set- 2A, 3S, a spin and postures. Hanyu was probably the biggest disappointment for me tonight. The set of jump was 3T, 3A, 3Loop, 3S, all clean and fine, yet no combo and no quad, which wasn't like that in last summer shows. But that wasn't the main reason for my upset. What kind of EX is it? I have no idea who contributed more in this EX, either Kurt or Orser. But Dear Uncles, he is just a kid! No need to dress him up in leathery-like pants and a silver jacket like a hooker. And surely no need to give him some lousy music, dancing cheap tricks, then undressing him till undershirt, "drawing" heart and throwing the clothing around. Come on! Send him back to Bestemyanova&Bobrin. They did an amazing job with him last season. Hanyu's talent is much worthier than some showy crap. Caro butterflied 3L, did 2L instead, 3S with step-out and two hands. Chan landed 3F and didn't fall, then landed two 2A, what he skated made me miss his Rach EX that I saw at WTT. Both Caro and Chan are World champions, who should think well when they are going with shows to Japan. Even junior skaters challenged more serious stuff here, not all of them succeeded everything, but they all challenged. Such lousy performances from both World champions is simply unacceptable. The audience was very supporting, with Italian and Canadian flags, and you guys with WC gold medals should have worked hard to pay people back. Akiko skated her new EX "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", fell down on 3F, 2A was okay, then 3S with step-out and two hands on the ice. Dai skated the tango Primavera Portena and it was one of the most sensual tango that I ever saw live. The audience was bewitched, following his each move and didn't even dare to breathe. All set of 3F, 3A, 3L was there cleanly delivered. In a finale boys jumped, girls spinned, elder boys Dai, Hanyu and Kozuka all landed beautiful 3A. Chan chose to join the last group with elder girls, not boys, Akiko, Kanako, Miki, Caro and spinned with them. Then- bowing and fireworks.
It's not enough to visit one show only. So I am a little disappointed that Dai was put on the list so late. I can't make it tomorrow, unless some emergency happened and my personal stuff will by cancelled. Then I'll go to the arena to deal with my beloved broker. If you decide to visit the show tomorrow morning, just keep in mind that the ticket office opens not at 10:00 but at 9:30am. The arena is cosy and small, with the perfect location. Have fun. I am jealous. :)

skfan

Final Flight
www.onice.jp

I went to the Saturday evening show "Dreams on Ice." I didn't plan actually, but when they added Dai to the cast at the end of May, naturally I couldn't resist. The only question was when, and while I was cleaning up my schedule, the tickets were sold out. But there is always the way out. Also, I heard that they sometimes sell tickets without seats in Shin-Yokohama Skate Center just before the show. Anyway, I had no ticket at all, so I would be happy to get in no matter with a seat or without it. I couldn't make it yesterday or on 16th morning. So I went to the ticket office on Saturday during my free-time at around 3pm. The window was shut down literally with the iron curtain, a few ladies were waiting in a line, the written note was telling that the sell will start at 5pm. I couldn't come there at 5pm, so I came when I got free but it was already around 6:30pm, the start time of the show. The ojisan in the ticket window was speaking on the phone and gave me a sign to wait. I didn't want to wait and it seemed like there was no tickets afterall, I was late. On the corner near the traffic light right next to the convinience store 7/11 there was an easily-recognized broker. Those guys are usually keeping a ticket in the hand and are always standing back to the officials. He was dealing with a 17,000 yen stuff and I am sure he would be happy to sell it at a cheaper price because the show has already started. Nevertheless, I gave him two banknotes of 10,000 yen and said some local equivalent of "keep the change" (well, in fact there is none since here there is no such a thing as tips, but you can always say what you mean). I CAN'T STAND ticket brokers! That's why I always treat them like dogs- giving them cheap digs. I am sure he was happy. Nasty people doing their filthy "business". In Russia they are like parasites, making business almost officially. I still remember Moscow Worlds and all negative stuff that those morons created around tickets sales. Once again I use the moment to tell a thank-you to Plush fans in Moscow who helped me to get an OCG card after I failed to buy Worlds tickets from Japan. The 40+yo guy in a black jacket and glasses who I dealt with today sold me the ticket that he bought in a Family Mart in Musashi-murayama-shinmei-ten, I have no idea where exactly it is. It's still in Tokyo prefecture but near Saitama? Anyway, it's not even near Yokohama. Probably those guys have a headquater there. It's not a very common thing in Japan- ticket brokers, I mean compared to Russia. But occasionally they do exist. :mad:

I entered the arena when the entrance of skaters was going on. While the staffer was showing me in the dark where to go, I had to go down to minami-arena and pass people, then again a ticket check before I entered my area, and all this was in the dark, blah-blah. So, I coudn't see well the whole entrance procedure. Narumi fell from a throw jump, as usual. Hanyu fell from a quad. Takahiko Mura landed his fantastic 3A and 3F. Dai landed his classic combo 3F-3T, then 3L and performed a very fast combo-spin. Chan fell from 3F, first he fell on a butt, then he turned around somehow and ended up lying on his tummy face down, then he tried to jump into a spin or whatever, but he landed on the knee. Boys did an eagle, girls- a spiral. That is what I could catch while talking with the arena staff and trying to get to my seat. Finally, after the entrance was over, I could reach my chair.
Baby Shoma Uno was as cute as always, his feature element- Klimkin eagle with a 2A right after was adorable. Many junior skaters did well today, girls including. They were all ice-princesses, which always bores me, but comparing how meh-ed their elder sisters did later, the youngests were kicking around quite well, all of them: Imai, Sato, Soji and especially Miyahara, very confident, with a full set of 2A-3T, 3F-2T, 3L. Risa Shoji had the most beautiful jumps of the night- a terrific combination of lightness, highness and length. Watching Hino it's hard to believe that once he was over Hanyu. They guy is simply walking on the ice, trying to land something and to look entertaining. Kenji Tanaka presented his new SP, did everying almost clean, no combo though, and caused the first ovation. Daisuke Murakami, the dude with edges, is trying to be the second Daisuke very hard. He presented a shorten version of his new FS, quite elegant but far from clean- started well but then fell down from 3L and he twice double-d what was supposed to be 3A. When I saw Tatsuki Machida, and knowing his easy-going nature, at first I thought he was going to perform some parody on Dai's EX "The Crisis". The same shirt, the same pants, even the same posture at the beginning. And then- well, that was a perfect blend of passion, where a fun guy is still trying to sneak with his light-minded nature, and then again a storm of emotions. Everything was clean, all his jumps, 3A included. The magnificent performance of a young prince who deserves a much better place in team Japan than just a spot for 4CC. Pretty much the same can be said about Takahito Mura. What a shame that Japan can send only three spots to Worlds. Mura's 3A, one of the the highest and most powerfull 3A ever, would be a jewel in any event. His style is different, he is mature and masculine, very cool and that is his way to express himself. Mura and especially Machida got the hugest ovation of the night that got later beaten only by Daisuke.
Kozuka skated the same style that he skates for years, could be enjoyable and fun with his footwork in sunglasses. But all those shaky landings, on combos, 3A and even solo 3L, don't speak well for the guy. In PIW in May he looked a little better and I had a hope that he will recover after a disaster season. But it seems like no radical changes are happening. Well, it's June and who knows what will be at JN when the team will be decided. Kanako challenged a 3L and a 2A-3T combo, and failed on both. The first lutz was butterflied, the combo was 1A-2T. She was so awfully upset that she couldn't focus after that and just kept skating mechanically, probably thinking what the hell had just happened. Narumi-Tran presented their new SP. The twist was okay, the side-by-side jump: both oops-ed. Narumi fell again on a throw jump. Miki looked beautiful and skated her "You must love me" stuff clean. But what she skated was in a la Arakawa set- 2A, 3S, a spin and postures. Hanyu was probably the biggest disappointment for me tonight. The set of jump was 3T, 3A, 3Loop, 3S, all clean and fine, yet no combo and no quad, which wasn't like that in last summer shows. But that wasn't the main reason for my upset. What kind of EX is it? I have no idea who contributed more in this EX, either Kurt or Orser. But Dear Uncles, he is just a kid! No need to dress him up in leathery-like pants and a silver jacket like a hooker. And surely no need to give him some lousy music, dancing cheap tricks, then undressing him till undershirt, "drawing" heart and throwing the clothing around. Come on! Send him back to Bestemyanova&Bobrin. They did an amazing job with him last season. Hanyu's talent is much worthier than some showy crap. Caro butterflied 3L, did 2L instead, 3S with step-out and two hands. Chan landed 3F and didn't fall, then landed two 2A, what he skated made me miss his Rach EX that I saw at WTT. Both Caro and Chan are World champions, who should think well when they are going with shows to Japan. Even junior skaters challenged more serious stuff here, not all of them succeeded everything, but they all challenged. Such lousy performances from both World champions is simply unacceptable. The audience was very supporting, with Italian and Canadian flags, and you guys with WC gold medals should have worked hard to pay people back. Akiko skated her new EX "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", fell down on 3F, 2A was okay, then 3S with step-out and two hands on the ice. Dai skated the tango Primavera Portena and it was one of the most sensual tango that I ever saw live. The audience was bewitched, following his each move and didn't even dare to breathe. All set of 3F, 3A, 3L was there cleanly delivered. In a finale boys jumped, girls spinned, elder boys Dai, Hanyu and Kozuka all landed beautiful 3A. Chan chose to join the last group with elder girls, not boys, Akiko, Kanako, Miki, Caro and spinned with them. Then- bowing and fireworks.
It's not enough to visit one show only. So I am a little disappointed that Dai was put on the list so late. I can't make it tomorrow, unless some emergency happened and my personal stuff will by cancelled. Then I'll go to the arena to deal with my beloved broker. If you decide to visit the show tomorrow morning, just keep in mind that the ticket office opens not at 10:00 but at 9:30am. The arena is cosy and small, with the perfect location. Have fun. I am jealous. :)

thanks for the entertaining review. can you comment on the music used by imai, shoji and the other ice princesses? did akiko skate only 'umbrellas' or was there a 2nd program, as well?

disappointed to hear that even in a show mervin can't land his SBS. used to be it was predictably narumi who failed the jump, but now... et tu, mervin? :eek:

i must respectfully disagree with you re: caro, pchan, other skaters who don't bring out the heavy artillery (quad, 3f, 3z, etc) for exhibitions. when i'm at a show and i see a spectacular splat, followed by the skater clumsily picking himself/herself off the ice, having missed several beats of music and choreographic details... just speaking for myself, i'm not thinking, wow, what respect that skater has for the audience, trying big, big jumps. instead i think, dear god, NOT HERE TOO! :laugh:

at least during the shows, i prefer for skaters to focus on their choreography and music rather than components, jumps, how many revolutions to hold this position, that position.

quite disturbed to hear your description of hanyu's new exhibition. do you know whose choreography this is?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for your detailed report. I am surprised about your comments regarding Hanyu's exhibition. I thought he looked so cute in the promo photos. I am anxious to see it for myself. Sound like a lot of the skaters were having jump problems.

LuCN

Rinkside
I only went to Artristy on Ice and Art on Ice Shanghai shows.both of them are very good shows and the cast is fabulous.I can't image to see Yagudin,Kurt and other big names in figure skating world in person.and if compare the two shows,ArOI has more fs stars,while AOI Shanghai's choreograph,light,dancers,organization is better.

I search for some review of Dream on Ice show,many people said they love Hanyu's performance...I really want to see the EX and have my idea.When will the show broadcast on TV?

I have different thought about the show.I don't want to see technique parts of fs on show,but artist side.Plushenko has best jumps,he did many perfect 3A and 3-3 combos on the shows,but his programs are empty.I'd love to see different kind of music,songs from ladygaga to opera as background music,different jump,spin,and moves from the show.a show is for entertaining,if I want to see difficuilt jumps,I can go to see COC and GPF.I've seen them,but I love shows too.

Eris

On the Ice
Risa Shoji had the most beautiful jumps of the night- a terrific combination of lightness, highness and length.

Wow, was Risa really that good? It's so great to hear such news after her dissaponting Jr Worlds.