Have you been to any good ice shows lately? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Have you been to any good ice shows lately?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Evening With Champions show in Boston is coming up at the end of the month. This show benefits the Jimmy Fund which benefits the Dana Farber cancer institute.

This year's show dates and times are Saturday, September 29 at 7PM and Sunday, September 30 at 2PM

It's a nice lineup, particularly for the men!

http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/

(last updated 8/28/12)

Ladies:
Christina Gao, 2009-10 Junior Grand Prix Final Bronze Medalist, 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalist
Kimmie Meissner, 2006 World Champion, 2007 U.S. National Champion, 2006 Olympian
Agnes Zawadzki, 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist, 2010 World Junior Silver Medalist, 2011 World Junior Bronze Medalist

Men:
Jeremy Abbott, Three-time U.S. National Champion, 2008 Grand Prix Final Champion, 2010 Olympian
Jason Brown, 2012 World Junior Bronze Medalist, 2011 Junior Grand Prix Final Champion, 2010 U.S. National Junior Champion
Harrison Choate, 2012 U.S. National Junior Pewter Medalist, 2011 Gardena Spring Trophy Champion
Ross Miner, 2012 Four Continents Bronze Medalist, 2011 & 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist
Douglas Razzano, 2012 Finlandia Trophy Silver Medalist, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place

Ice Dancing:
Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, 2011 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 6th Place
Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre, 2008 & 2009 U.S. National Bronze Medalists, 2008 Four Continents Bronze Medalists

Pairs:
Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, 2009 World Junior Bronze Medalists & 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place
Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, 2012 U.S. Junior Bronze Medalists
Melanie Lambert & Fred Palascak, Professional Adagio Pair Team & U.S. National Medalists
Ludmila & Oleg Protopopov, Two-time Olympic Champions, Four-time World Champions

Synchronized Skating Teams:
The Haydenettes, 2010 & 2011 World Synchronized Skating Championships Bronze Medalists, 20-time U.S. National Champions
Team Excel Collegiate, 2012 U.S. National Synchronized Skating Championships 5th Place

Theatre on Ice:
Act I of Boston, 2012 U.S. National Silver Medalists, Three-time International Champions, Two-time International Silver Medalists

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Going to Mike's show this weekend, and will spend a few days in DC with our N. VA cousins. Sorry to hear that Sinead won't be able to come, but looking forward to John & the rest of the cast.

Some day, it would be super to attend "An Evening with Champions" in Boston. What an amazing line-up! Well, we hope to make it to Boston in 1/2014!

Oh, great, Iluvtodd! I look forward to your report on this show.

"An Evening with Champions" is frustrating to contemplate because this show used to be easily findable on PBS (our public broadcasting channel), but nowadays it's so hard to figure out their scheduling of it. If it indeed does get broadcast, it's hidden somewhere at an obscure time. Grrrr!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Going to Mike's show this weekend, and will spend a few days in DC with our N. VA cousins. Sorry to hear that Sinead won't be able to come, but looking forward to John & the rest of the cast.

Have a good time, iluvtodd!

Regardless of Bradley's collegial reply, it was John Kerr's tweet that he was "nervous and excited about the performance" that had me puzzling whether he is planning something unusually ambitious, such as a solo ice dance that is separate from the group numbers. If simply skating without Sinead is making him nervous, that is pretty darn sweet! :)

ETA:
And now John Alastair Kerr ‏@Jkerrbear has sent another tweet -- which also seems only partially tongue-in-cheek??
For one night only I shall be performing solo at #icechampionslive. This is my shot!
8:33 PM - 7 Sep 12​

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for the link, let's talk! :)

Too bad Daisuke does not get the opportunity to debut his SP either at Skate America or Skate Canada this season...the audience will love that program, I think, just like at SA in 2007 where he debuted his Hip Hop Swan.

Here is a short video clip of the dance battle btwn Meryl and Charlie at The Ice. LOVE Meryl! :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPg-om-ZJZU&feature=relmfu

fairly4

Medalist
no, i havent, but question,
alissa is skating in 2 shows that she could have skated in another gp event. i undertand to get her feet wet so to speak, but after injury if she didn't want a 2nd gp event why should have she skated in 2 ice shows. for me if she can't skate in 2 gp events she shouldn't be able to skate in shows.
the shows are about the time of later gp events. so if she feels she could be ready to skate in them, she could have skated in both gp events.
personally i am getting tired of some skaters who can't skate in gp events and then skate in shows

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
no, i havent, but question,
alissa is skating in 2 shows that she could have skated in another gp event. i undertand to get her feet wet so to speak, but after injury if she didn't want a 2nd gp event why should have she skated in 2 ice shows. for me if she can't skate in 2 gp events she shouldn't be able to skate in shows.
the shows are about the time of later gp events. so if she feels she could be ready to skate in them, she could have skated in both gp events.
personally i am getting tired of some skaters who can't skate in gp events and then skate in shows

Do you talking about Alissa Czisny? You are unjust. Alyssa had surgery, she was unable to train hardly. If she's not ready for the competition, isn't a good idea to attend. The show is suitable to return to the ice.

For one thing, Alissa doesn't need to do any jumps if she skates in a show. She can just get her feel for the ice back. I think that's acceptable.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Absolutely agree with AC doing shows. Not sure it is good for her to do any GP event given surgery, time off and her comp. nerves. I am always pleased to see her in shows where she can relax and just show off her best moves. She brings something to shows that only a few retired ladies do, like Joannnie and Shizuka, IMO. (and for eligibles, the beauty that lovely Mao brings to her gala skates. Forgot Carolina. These ladies are so special when just skating and not worrying about the jumps these days. Beauty for its own sake gets overlooked in CoP numbers. Thank goodness for exhibitions to show us their love of iceskating.

Victura

On the Ice
I completely agree with skateluvr and Olympia about Alissa doing shows as well. It'd be a great step for her to skate in front of a live crowd without the pressure of competition, and it would be easier on the body as well. However, perhaps I've missed something, but I didn't see any mention of Alissa doing any shows in the last few pages. I haven't had time to go through the entire thread, but what is she scheduled to do?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for your continued review, Doris! :love: reading about Harrison Choate, Ross, Kimmie, Kim & Brent, in particular. Eyria, thanks for your review too - glad you enjoyed the evening!

Doris, your review gives more details than they've shown on TV of this event for years. You're a great reporter. Thanks again!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For those in the Cleveland area:
The "Scott Hamilton and Friends" show (for his charity), featuring many champions past and present, is on Sat Nov 3.
http://www.scottcares.org/Events/2012IceShowandGala.aspx

And if the information at the link is up-to-date, among the individuals performing are:
- "Alissa Czisny"
- "Rockne Brubaker" [sans partner]

Lysacek is among the Gold Medal Honorees who will be attending.

Last edited: