Have you been to any good ice shows lately? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Have you been to any good ice shows lately?

shine

Record Breaker
Wow, can't wait to see Tatsuki's new program :love: And I've got to say that he looks SO much better with the short haircut. SO MUCH.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:love: Thank you so much! :bow: to Let's talk!!!

Wow, can't wait to see Tatsuki's new program :love:

:agree: Yes yes, we've got to see his program choreo done by himself! If we are lucky, Tatsuki will skate to it at Dream On Ice and TV will broadcast it.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
PIW corps de ballet can't stop surprising me. Yesterday Soshi Tanaka did 3A, with a little step out though. But how about the fact itself that the skater who retired 11 years ago and who never won anything at senior level, challenged the element of major difficulty in shows. Maybe this will help some people to finally understand why I look down at a so-called WC who takes it lazy both in shows and competitions, knowing that why to bother if everything is granted in advance. :laugh:

In the morning show Kanako again had a step out on 3Z and did 3S with no combo. In a finale she did 2S as a "warm up", then 3S. In the afternoon she fell on 3Z, did her combo 3S-2Lo-2Lo very well. In a finale she did 2S, then again her brand combo 3S-2Lo-2Lo. Her spins are a little slower and the posture got worse. I am not sure if it's just her dress or she got slightly bigger. She told fans that her study at the university is rather "taihen" but she is managing. Akiko in the morning skated her EX "The Unmbrellas of Cherbourg" and in the afternoon she had a collaboration with a violinist Furusawa for her "Lavender" EX. Her "Lavender" was rather well done. In both shows she went for a safer route of 2A and 3S, this time with no falls. Shizuka was as usual, with the difference that in the afternoon show, where she skated her cyber "Swan", she added 2T to her 2A.

Takeshi had a good day and skated clean in both shows, demonstrating once again his high and powerful jumps of Plu&Yag era. In the afternoon finale he challanged 3A, with step out. Sasaki was having fun all around, did both 3Z and 3F with tano, didn't succeed in 3A (fell). Tatsuki was awfully perfect again in the afternoon. He was perfect in all 6 six shows that I attended. The only mistake he did was yesterday morning- a step out on 3F. Also, his blade hit smth. while he was entering 3Z from the spiral, so he couldn't do the jump because there was a railing already and he had to turn, then the timing was missing and he had to do the elements that were assigned with the music. I know about 3Z because I saw 4 shows previously, so I know that the jump must be there. Those who hadn't seen his EX before, didn't notice that one jump was missing, so flawlessly he did that switch. In the morning finale he did that 3Z from the spiral, giving a chance to people to see that nice entrance into the jump. In the afternoon finale he did 3A twice, one after another. His spins are so fast and light. He does feel very comfortable in his new EX that he choreographed himself, knowing very well his likes and strengths. Mura also had a good day with his clean performance in both shows, with the set of 3F, 3Z, 3S and his brand wow 3A. He challenged a quad in both finales and did it but touched the ice with the second toe a little. Overall, good work in the shows, Tatsuki and newly-wedded Mura-kun! ;)

Daisuke skated Moonlight Sonata in the morning and again like on the previous day was absolutely flawless in his magnificent performance. He did 3F, 3L, his fabulous 3A, fast spins and emotional steps where each beat of music matters. In the afternoon he chose to skate Stroll, which was absolutely the right decision to close the show session with this sparkling prog. Like a glass of champagne. He showed us once again what an artistic and versatile skater he is- three different progs in 4 shows, and all in different characters. He skated the original version of Stroll, the one that he showed in FrOI in August. Did all elemets clean except that 3A was slightly two-footed. He also challenged a quad in a finale but didn't succeed, downgraded it and two-footed in the morning and fell in the afternoon. I first thought that it might be the general physical tiredness that makes him be perfect in the morning shows because he is simply fresher. Or maybe Moonlight Sonata is better designed for Dai by Morozov, so he blends in it harmonically. Dai did look down though, either due to being physically or emotionally or both exhausted. And judging by twitter I wasn't the only one who noticed that. I hope he WILL find the time to take a break over summer to kick that fatigue away. PLEASE, DAI!!! :bow: So many people love you and wish you all the best that the life can bring. He is truly worshiped and adored by his tasteful fans, and not without the reasons. :love:

I updated vids and pics, the same channel, the same album (see my previous posts here for the links).

BIG THANKS to PIW Team and guest skaters for all great work you did!!! I was having a wonderful time and see you all in July! :clap:

Thanks so much!

I echo your wishes that Daisuke will rest up and renew himself for the Olympic season. I want the world to see him at his very best.

giulia95

Medalist
PIW corps de ballet can't stop surprising me. Yesterday Soshi Tanaka did 3A, with a little step out though. But how about the fact itself that the skater who retired 11 years ago and who never won anything at senior level, challenged the element of major difficulty in shows. Maybe this will help some people to finally understand why I look down at a so-called WC who takes it lazy both in shows and competitions, knowing that why to bother if everything is granted in advance. :laugh:

In the morning show Kanako again had a step out on 3Z and did 3S with no combo. In a finale she did 2S as a "warm up", then 3S. In the afternoon she fell on 3Z, did her combo 3S-2Lo-2Lo very well. In a finale she did 2S, then again her brand combo 3S-2Lo-2Lo. Her spins are a little slower and the posture got worse. I am not sure if it's just her dress or she got slightly bigger. She told fans that her study at the university is rather "taihen" but she is managing. Akiko in the morning skated her EX "The Unmbrellas of Cherbourg" and in the afternoon she had a collaboration with a violinist Furusawa for her "Lavender" EX. Her "Lavender" was rather well done. In both shows she went for a safer route of 2A and 3S, this time with no falls. Shizuka was as usual, with the difference that in the afternoon show, where she skated her cyber "Swan", she added 2T to her 2A.

Takeshi had a good day and skated clean in both shows, demonstrating once again his high and powerful jumps of Plu&Yag era. In the afternoon finale he challanged 3A, with step out. Sasaki was having fun all around, did both 3Z and 3F with tano, didn't succeed in 3A (fell). Tatsuki was awfully perfect again in the afternoon. He was perfect in all 6 six shows that I attended. The only mistake he did was yesterday morning- a step out on 3F. Also, his blade hit smth. while he was entering 3Z from the spiral, so he couldn't do the jump because there was a railing already and he had to turn, then the timing was missing and he had to do the elements that were assigned with the music. I know about 3Z because I saw 4 shows previously, so I know that the jump must be there. Those who hadn't seen his EX before, didn't notice that one jump was missing, so flawlessly he did that switch. In the morning finale he did that 3Z from the spiral, giving a chance to people to see that nice entrance into the jump. In the afternoon finale he did 3A twice, one after another. His spins are so fast and light. He does feel very comfortable in his new EX that he choreographed himself, knowing very well his likes and strengths. Mura also had a good day with his clean performance in both shows, with the set of 3F, 3Z, 3S and his brand wow 3A. He challenged a quad in both finales and did it but touched the ice with the second toe a little. Overall, good work in the shows, Tatsuki and newly-wedded Mura-kun!

Daisuke skated Moonlight Sonata in the morning and again like on the previous day was absolutely flawless in his magnificent performance. He did 3F, 3L, his fabulous 3A, fast spins and emotional steps where each beat of music matters. In the afternoon he chose to skate Stroll, which was absolutely the right decision to close the show session with this sparkling prog. Like a glass of champagne. He showed us once again what an artistic and versatile skater he is- three different progs in 4 shows, and all in different characters. He skated the original version of Stroll, the one that he showed in FrOI in August. Did all elemets clean except that 3A was slightly two-footed. He also challenged a quad in a finale but didn't succeed, downgraded it and two-footed in the morning and fell in the afternoon. I first thought that it might be the general physical tiredness that makes him be perfect in the morning shows because he is simply fresher. Or maybe Moonlight Sonata is better designed for Dai by Morozov, so he blends in it harmonically. Dai did look down though, either due to being physically or emotionally or both exhausted. And judging by twitter I wasn't the only one who noticed that. I hope he WILL find the time to take a break over summer to kick that fatigue away. PLEASE, DAI!!! :bow: So many people love you and wish you all the best that the life can bring. He is truly worshiped and adored by his tasteful fans, and not without the reasons. :love:

I updated vids and pics, the same channel, the same album (see my previous posts here for the links).

BIG THANKS to PIW Team and guest skaters for all great work you did!!! I was having a wonderful time and see you all in July! :clap:

once again thank you so much!!! Don't you go to Art On Ice Japan on June 1-2? :biggrin:

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm not particularly fond of ice shows. The last one I saw was when I saw Michelle skate in Greenville, SC. Even with her in it, it somehow fell flat.

^ You saw the most desultory ice show of all time. Michelle forced herself onto the ice to fulfill her contractual obligation (she never missed a cheesefest, no matter how injured she was), and skated around in a circle with no jumps. Everyone else was exhausted after the Olympics. The television sponsors tried to force them to put on some kind of competition format, but the skaters said no, no no. Marshall's never sponsored another ice show.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great review! MS and the Stroll in one day oh my, what a treat for the audience!:)

Thank you!

^ You saw the most desultory ice show of all time. Michelle forced herself onto the ice to fulfill her contractual obligation (she never missed a cheesefest, no matter how injured she was), and skated around in a circle with no jumps. Everyone else was exhausted after the Olympics. The television sponsors tried to force them to put on some kind of competition format, but the skaters said no, no no. Marshall's never sponsored another ice show.

Was that one that they showed on TV? I remember a show with Michelle not jumping at all, toward the end. No wonder she left the ice for good when she retired from competitive skating and didn't do any further pro appearances except for those few with YuNa. She must have been so tired of dragging herself onto the ice in good times and bad.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This is Michelle's "A Song for You" performance at Marshall's that was televised. This was after the 2006 Olympics.
I don't know but to me there is more to this performance than skating around in a circle, yes no jumps but breathtaking-nevertheless.

She went on to fulfill her COI contract skating with no jumps because of her injury. It was a privilege for me to see her live as she said goodbye
to her skating fans and her competitve career. I believe that was the last year for COI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MbfKSX10I

Icey

Record Breaker

You have wrong show. The Show was in 2002. Michelle did do jumps . She fell on one jumps as I recall. While taking her bows she amusingly rubbed her behind.

At the 2006 show in Greenville she did no jumps as far as I can tell from what few vids of that show exist.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
http://www.artonice.jp/skater.html

I went to the evening show. There were two pairs of acroboats Besedin/Polishuk and air acrobats Chesna/Chesna. I saw the first guys last time something like 10 years ago or somesuch. They were then doing Swan as well. But for a reason- this show number indeed is a true crowd pleaser full of life and enjoyment. Chesnas were scary. They don't use any security. And considering that they do their tricks 5-10 meters above the ice, well... Beautiful number on 'Nutcracker' and the audience enjoyed it a lot as well. Gev is just some break dancer, off ice and on ice. There is no figure skating. Miyu Honda was "warming up" the audience before ths show started. She landed 2L and 1A, did very good bielmann. Little charming cutie.

Pechalat/Bourzat skated 'Dirty Dancing' in the first half, were quite dull, especially him. In the second half they did the collaboration with Fujii and that boring ballad somehow inspired life in their routine-like performance. Savchenko/Szolkowy skated Morricone in the first half, in the second one- some supposedly entertaining stuff. I lost the account of how many times they did 2A throw jump, obviously targeting 3A. Sooner or later it became non-interesting to look at their efforts, especially because the lack of 3A is the least of their concerns. There is simply no Pair, no Two and no passion/chemistry/whatever in their progs. Robin is just a skating body who clearly wants to retire a.s.a.p.
VolTran in the first half skated collaboration with Jenkins. I am absolutely not a fan of any vocals, any singers in ice shows. Life orchestra is fine. But nothing more please. Singers, stage dancers, music clips on huge screens is just one big distruction for the audience and for the skaters as well. Tanya with Max did good lifts, a death spiral, on a throw jump she touched the ice with both hands and fell on a knee. I still thinks that Max throws her too high sometimes. In the second half they skated their EX in a gorgeous haute couture outfit. They did double twist, their lifts, and good clean 3Loop throw jump. The number was like one whole stream of beauty, emotions and elegance.

Sarah can jump only 2A now, sometimes 1A, she doesn't possess any other jump. Well, at least she possesses one. Miki possesses zero. She skated with Jenkins "Amazing Grace" in the first half and then "Bolero" in the second. Did a couple of spins of 1-2 level and then she was just stroking around the ice. I don't believe that the skater who doesn't perform any jumps can seriously consider to go to Olympics. Arakawa was as usual, no matter what music is playing, she is skating her ice princess set. She fell on 3S once, in a finale she challenged combo 3T-3T but the second jump was downgraded and two-footed.
Suzuki was opening the solo numbers in the show. She presented her new EX, the dress didn't look that awful as in that FB pic. The color is strong, the top is sligtly heavy perharps but doesn't spoil the general impression much. She did 2A, 3S was with second toe touch. The music and her skating was dramatic and very sensual, hit each note really well, especially in sequeces and footwork.

Mura in the opening did 3L, 3S, quite confident and solid. In his collaboration with Fujii he fell on 3A but then did it well in a finale. He also tried a quad but singled it. Yuzu skated in the first half that lousy Blues that exposed the negative sides of his posture instead of hiding them. He fell on the opening quad, landed 3A and 3Z-3T successfully. In the second half he had a collaboration with Fujii too. What an idiot designed that blouse for him? It's not a male shirt. It's a female blouse, compared to which PChan's shirt for SP looks like a parade of masculinity. Obasan surely liked it with their "kawaii". As if he shouldn't mature and should stay girlishly looking boy to please their weird taste. Stupid women. Yuzu did 3S (planned 4S maybe), then fell on 3A. He looked quite slow and sweaty at the end. Fujii's balads are unbearable yawn-ish crap. There is not so much to expect from any skater in terms of PCS. In a finale Yuzu landed 3A clean. Then he did 4T well but he sat a little too deep, still he went for a sequence and added 3A after 4T but had a step-out, two hands on the ice and a knee too, i.e. counts as a fall. In general his body is the same, with weak muscles and round-shouldered posture. He requires a special care, with a nutricion that makes his muscles and skeleton look stronger and actually be stronger. As well as choreo classes. But nobody cares. His only coach who did care was taken away from him and his current dude looks at him at as a paycheck. Basically Yuzu is alone.

Stephane skated collaboration with Jenkins "Bring me to life" in the first half, in the second- "A Chorus to life". He doesn't jump much anymore, besides 3T and 2Z. In a finale he did a combo 3T-3T and challnged a quad 4T, landed it with under-rotation and a step-out. Still seems like not that bad for a retired skater. I mean kicking quads around, even not super clean ones. His spins are all their and didn't get any worse. As well as his musicality, connection to the audience and catching the character of the tune. He is slightly heavier in skating than Dai, and not that seducing in terms of pasison on the ice. But nevertheless Steph is a diamond in figure skating history, the place that he took fair and square.

Dai was skating the last and showed up in gray, so uncommon color for him. The shadow is similar to silverish details in his Moonlight Sonata costume. Dai can pull any music. Unless you ask him to pull the stuff which level of art is below zero. Then you see how much not enough art in that pop crap. Because you have a chance to compare the artist Dai with some silly pop song. On the entrance into 3A his blades swung a little, probably a crack on the ice or whatever. He kept going and did 3A with his terrifically beautiful and high position in the air. He touched the ice with his hand though, that tiny accident on the entrance might have caused it, or not. Then he did 3F well. But the highest jump of the night from him was Russian split jump. It wasn't just high but also the way how he landed it- not on a foot in the same direction but he turned in the air and landed it on the opposite blade. I haven't seen this trick from him much before. Then his footwork and steps that don't need any commments. In a finale he did 3F again and tried a quad but fell. He was quite in a cheerfull mood in general and it was nice to see that knowing how much down he looked at PIW just a month ago.

AOI is much more expensive, luxury and sophisticated show compared to SOI. It's like a fancy restaurant after McDonalds. Even Jenkins and Fujii couldn't spoil all the fun. The show will be broadcasted next weekend, have no idea what show exactly. Then vids will show up on youtube I am sure. ;)

Pattina

On the Ice
Thank you let's talk. Always funny but with many technical info on programs and elements. Really enjoy your recap.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Well, thank you for the time and effort that you have put into writing this review, let's talk. But, to tell the truth, I came here to see if your review was as unpleasant as others told it was. Unfortunately, I see that it is. I've rarely seen such negativism and such a low level of tolerance in a skating show review - except your reviews, that is, if I remember it right. Also, I understand that you have your own view on figure skating and what is important in it, and you have a right to it too. But when it comes to show reviews, I personally don't need just a super detailed account of all the technical elements that the skaters did, and of all the mistakes that they made, but rather some impressions about their programs, the style and atmosphere of those programs if they are new, about their skating and their performance (really in the sense of performance, not the execution of their technical elements). If I can't watch some competition live or on TV in real time, and I am reading a report about it, then of course I want to know everything about the technical elements down to the smallest detail. But a skating show is something else. It's not a competition in the same sense as official competitions. Of course, it's understandable that many skaters still want to show what they can do in terms of elements. But, more than that, it's another kind of competition. Or at least, it should be. It's should be about who is going to surprise the public most, about who is going to show something new - whether it's the technical elements, or the overall creativity of their programs (be it style, choreography, story, or some elements outside the obvious technical elements). It is about who manages to excite the public the most, and who gets the most attention from it, and about who is going to be invited again. This last sentence may be a bit cynical, but it's true.

To be fair, you mentioned some other things in your review outside of technical elements, but most of it was so negative and took such an obvious second place to the technical elements, that it almost made the review more unpleasant than it would have been without those things. I realize that I probably should be thankful that there is a review of the show at all, and such a lengthy one at that, especially as it is the only one that I've encountered so far. But, as I didn't get the things from it that I look for in a skating show review, that makes it difficult for me to really appreciate the effort. At the same time, I realize that other people probably got just what they wanted from it, so it's not a completely bad review.