Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shibutanis to attend state dinner in Washington for Prime Minister of Japan

News Shibutanis to attend state dinner in Washington for Prime Minister of Japan

This news was posted on FSU today by VisaliaPete, based on tweets by Alex and Maia.

[url]http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83510[/url]

The event is hosted by Secretary of State Hilary Clinton.

I wonder if PM Noda is a skating fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    This news was posted on FSU today by VisaliaPete, based on tweets by Alex and Maia.

[url]http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83510[/url]

The event is hosted by Secretary of State Hilary Clinton.

I wonder if PM Noda is a skating fan?
    What an awesome honor! I can't wait to see photos! Knowing them they will take lots of them!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I wonder whether they will be solicited to take up their Japanese citizenship and skate dance for Japan? Alex Hideo Shibutani will have to make his decision relatively soon? His birthday was April 25, 1991, so I believe next year is his date. Maia's Japanese name is Harumi.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I wonder whether they will be solicited to take up their Japanese citizenship and skate dance for Japan? Alex Hideo Shibutani will have to make his decision relatively soon? His birthday was April 25, 1991, so I believe next year is his date. Maia's Japanese name is Harumi.
    I don't see them asking at State Dinner where they were invited by Hillary Clinton. That seems to be in poor taste. That said, I'm sure seeds for the ask could be planted.

And that said, I doubt they would take the offer. While Alex and Maia are quite proud of their Japanese heritage, they fully embrace representing the U.S. Also, they don't have much to gain by going to Japan. Yes, they could be No. 1 in Japan, but I'm not sure how that would help them as far as placement....

Awww I love the Shibs and what an honor for them. HC could not have chosen better.
    Thanks for the info!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I am so happy for the Shibutanis to receive this wonderful invitation!
    Someone in the State Department must be a figure skating fan.
    Lysacek recently became a Sports Envoy, and now Alex Hideo and Maia Harumi are getting this well-deserved recognition.

Maia's latest tweet is:
    "So excited to be in DC for Secretary Clinton's dinner in honor of Japanese Prime Minister Noda. Leaving for the reception in a few minutes!"
    (As an aside, I wonder whether she consciously is referring to it now as Secretary Clinton's dinner -- as opposed to a "state dinner", which I believe was an innocent misnomer.)

Custom Title
    I don't see them jumping ship either. The only possible gain they would have is a possibility, somewhat remote, of winning gold in the Team event at the Olympics. Skating for Japan might be a sure ticket to Sochi, but the Shibs' position as US #2 pretty much guarantees that anyway.

There are several disadvantages to a switch, including losing a minimum of a year's competition (which can be deadly in Ice Dance) and, of course, Alex surrendering his US citizenship. And as Mrs. P pointed out, being #2 in the US dance powerhouse is significantly better than being #1 in Japan, who never sends out any dance team but the mediocre Reeds.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    What a huge and well-deserved honor for the Shibs!

And I seriously doubt the Shibs will switch. It would be a huge change for them, for little to no tactical reason. And missing out on a year of competition is probably an absolute deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Someone in the State Department must be a figure skating fan.
    Michelle Kwan works for the U.S. State Department. She is all into the national fitness programs championed by first lady Michelle Obama.

[url]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OuB0rRedqnQ/TciNGoiZ_YI/AAAAAAAAMEA/hDxonPzNgE4/s1600/Michelle+South+Lawn.jpg[/url]

[url]http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2011/05/09/s110409-09firstlady-pg-horizontal.JPG[/url]

(In case you were wondering, President Barack Obama made one out if eight shots from the three-point arc at this event. No word on Michelle's score. )

Coincidentally, Lysacek got his appointment as sport envoy just after he switched to Michelle's agent, Shep Goldberg.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-30-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Yay for the Shibs!

Michelle Kwan works for the U.S. State Department. She is all into the national fitness programs championed by first lady Michelle Obama. ...

Coincidentally, Lysacek got his appointment as sport envoy just after he switched to Michelle's agent, Shep Goldberg.
    I had not forgotten Kwan; purposely had not mentioned her, because Karen Hughes brought her into the State Department back during the George W. Bush administration.
    I was surmising that an Obama political appointee at State might be a figure skating fan.
    OTOH, maybe the fan is a career diplomat, given your good point about the agent shared by Kwan and Lysacek.

An excerpt from Sec. Clinton's remarks at last night's dinner for the Japanese PM:
    "That’s why we are working to create opportunities for the young people in both of our countries. Our shared goal is to promote a [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]tomodachi[/SIZE][/FONT] or friendship generation of young people who will be our future leaders. That’s why we have created a private-public partnership, the TOMODACHI Initiative, to bring young people from both countries together. We are looking forward to receiving hundreds of young Japanese students and sending hundreds of young American students, through student exchanges, sports programs, and entrepreneurial programs."

I was surmising that an Obama political appointee at State might be a figure skating fan.
    Maybe it's Secretary Clinton herself. Here she is with the South Korean foreign minister praising Yu-na Kim's Olympic performance.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMyrb9Hxkjo[/url]

Maybe it's Secretary Clinton herself. Here she is with the South Korean foreign minister praising Yu-na Kim's Olympic performance.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMyrb9Hxkjo[/url]
    Thanks to your clip, Mathman, I'm now having visions of HRC as President of the ISU down the road. [Never say never. ]

I hope that the Shibutanis will not keep us waiting too long before they share more about their evening with the Secretary and the PM. The little details from Virtue and Moir after they dined with the Queen gave us a vicarious sense of their once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I hope that the Shibutanis will not keep us waiting too long before they share more about their evening with the Secretary and the PM.
    I know! I know! It's Wednesday already. What, they can't connect to Twitter?!

The Shibutanis looking great at the State Department dinner:
    [url]http://twitter.com/#!/PMCroninCNAS/status/198100267655372800/photo/1[/url]

(No sign of Sec. Clinton or the Japanese PM in this photo, unfortunately. I hope that Maia and Alex were able to meet and pose with them too.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast