Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 US Team envelopes announced

News 2012-13 US Team envelopes announced

U.S. Figure Skating announced today the individuals and teams that will compose the A, B and C team envelopes for the 2012-13 season. Athletes assigned to the Reserve team envelope will be announced at a later date.

More

Go Haven and Brandon! Go Lynn and Logan!

Custom Title
    Rachael Flatt is now in envelop C. Czisny is in B.

yay Keegan!

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Rachael Flatt is now in envelop C.
    Who?

Czisny is in B.
    Who?

But seriously, it's hard to get level A. You must be top ten at worlds, medal at GP final, win Four Continents, or win U.S. Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Who?
    2010 National Champion, 2011 Silver Medalist. 2012 Envelop C.

Who?
    Two times U.S. Champion (2009 and 2011), and current Silver medalist. 2012 Envelop B.

But seriously, it's hard to get level A. You must be top ten at worlds, medal at GP final, win Four Continents, or win U.S. Nationals.
    Outside of the US, few know about Marley/Brubaker, or Hubbell/Donohue. Nor are they US champions. Both teams in envelop A.

Custom Title

Outside of the US, few know about Marley/Brubaker, or Hubbell/Donohue. Nor are they US champions. Both teams in envelop A.
    Well, this may be true, but they both finished top 10 at Worlds and hence qualify for Team A.

Custom Title
    I guess the list also reflects the weakness in US Singles internationally and their inconsistencies. Must be frustrating with all those talents, as listed as Team B.

2010 National Champion, 2011 Silver Medalist. 2012 Envelop C.

Two times U.S. Champion (2009 and 2011), and current Silver medalist. 2012 Envelop B.
    Out they go, with yesterday's dishwater.

Outside of the US, few know about Marley/Brubaker, or Hubbell/Donohue.
    Yet!

I guess the USFSA is more interested in where you're going than in where you've been.

The pairs situation is kind of unique, though. Only a few countries have a pairs team to send to Worlds at all, so "top ten," while an achievement to be proud of, is actually quite a ways down the list.

As for Hubbell and Donahue, I think they have a chance of overtaking Shibutani and Shibutabi for #2 in the U.S.

Anyway, what can you do? You set the bar, then see who can jump over it.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Rinkside
    Can I ask a super newbie question? What exactly does the envelope mean for a skater?

Custom Title
    I looked a little further and realized the Team is all about international competitions and representations. Even Dornbush is now in Team C.

I guess the USFSA is more interested in where you're going than in where you've been.
    But the list is determined by where they have most recently been internationally. There is either a discrepancy between their National and International standings or there is a tendency for national medalists to drop off quickly. Or plain inconsistencies.

Ice Dance is obviously the strongest discipline right now. The international standings are both high and relatively consistent.

Can I ask a super newbie question? What exactly does the envelope mean for a skater?
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=209
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 05-09-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by britebells View Post
    Basically? Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Basically? Money.
    The USFSA typically does not like to mention specific dollar amounts. They probably have not yet been decided for next season, and no doubt it depends on revenue. My impression is that top skaters get a few thousands of dollars of direct assistance, in addition to paid expenses to attend international competitions.

According to this report

http://www.usfsa.org/content/FactSheet.pdf

last year the USFSA spent about $1,000,000 in direct grants to athletes through the ASUPP program (that's this team envelope thing), the USFSA bonus program, and dispersions from the 1961 Memorial Fund.

I am not exactly sure what the bonus program is about. Last year they gave out $95,000 in bonuses. This compares to $268,000 the year before -- a sign of the times. (For comparison, they paid Michelle Kwan more than $900,000 per year during the late 1990s when they were flush with money from ABC television.)
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-09-2012 at 04:00 PM.

at least the top skaters still break even in the long run... unlike a certain other sport I follow... (look she didn't come right out and say said sport!)

I think it's interesting that Nagasu got team B funding, the same as the last few years. Therefore she will not, actually, be working with less money this coming year than i past years (other than that she may have lost some potential money by not winning or medaling in many events this season).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast