Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2012-13 US Team envelopes announced

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think it's interesting that Nagasu got team B funding, the same as the last few years. Therefore she will not, actually, be working with less money this coming year than i past years (other than that she may have lost some potential money by not winning or medaling in many events this season).
    She has her silver from Cup of China to thank for that her Team B funding. Otherwise, she would have been on Team C.

Custom Title
    I'm wondering why Joelle Forte was at Skate America in 2011 ? Her ranking at the US Nationals is not in the top 5.
    If someone know it, I wish that they write me a quote

But, I don't care that they choose Joelle for Skate America, I find that she was great at this competition and deserve to be more appeared in international competition.
    I felt that she should have won the 3rd place at this competition, but she was undermark for lack of international experience. She is such a great skater

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    I'm wondering why Joelle Forte was at Skate America in 2011 ? Her ranking at the US Nationals is not in the top 5.
    If someone know it, I wish that they write me a quote

But, I don't care that they choose Joelle for Skate America, I find that she was great at this competition and deserve to be more appeared in international competition.
    I felt that she should have won the 3rd place at this competition, but she was undermark for lack of international experience. She is such a great skater
    Joelle Forte was in the top 10 at nationals in 2011. All the other top 10 competitors on the senior grand prix from the US had 2 spots already. The other ladies in the top 10 (Siraj and Lam) were staying junior this past season. It was between Forte and Bulanhagui for the 3rd spot and Forte was not getting any younger (she was the oldest lady competitor at nationals for the past two years). She got the minimum score at Nebelhorn before SA host picks were chosen.

Usually Skate America invites the national champion (Flatt 2010, Czisny 2011), potential comeback skater (Caroline Zhang 2010, 2011) or junior-to-senior phenom (Caroline Zhang 2007, Mirai 2008, most likely Gracie 2012), and relative unknown from nationals top 10 (Alexe Gilles 2009, 2010 and Joelle Forte 2011).

Out of the top 10 this year Angela Wang, Vanessa Lam, and Kiri Baga are probably staying junior. Most everyone else in the top 10 and Gracie Gold will snag 2 spots (except Rachael and Christina Gao). If Rachael or Christina plan to continue, USFSA will probably give her 1 spot (most likely Christina).

Only Ashley Wagner is guaranteed 2 spots on the GP. Alissa Czisny (SBS 8, WR 4, Nat 2), Caroline Zhang (SBS 9, WR 26, Nat 4), Mirai Nagasu (SBS 11, WR 13, Nat 7), Gracie Gold (SBS 12, WR 55, JrNat 1) and Agnes Zawadzki (SBS 25, WR 19, Nat 3) are guaranteed 1 spot (but are shoe-in for 2) with their top 24 SBS or WR. Christina Gao (SBS 30, WR 33, Nat 5) and Rachael Flatt (SBS 38, WR 38, Nat 6) are not guaranteed any.

Rachael may retire and a host pick go to Christina Gao. Vanessa Lam (SBS 26, WR 45, Nat 9) may skate senior after making the JGPF but should stay junior until she can assure at least 1 spot on the senior GP. If she chooses seniors, she will only be on the substitute list if SBS is considered for the sub list. I'm hoping that the 3rd spot goes to Samantha Cesario who scored well in her last eligible year on the JGP and missed nationals two years in a row due to injury.

I'm betting on the 3 host picks to be Ashley Wagner (national champion), Gracie Gold (junior-to-senior phenom) and Christina Gao or Rachael Flatt (Nat top 10, no GP) with slight hope for Samantha Cesario (relative unknown jgp age ineligible)

Joelle Forte placed 14th at nationals this year and is age ineligible for juniors (one of the oldest lady competitors!). If she still wants to compete, I'm guessing she can only get Senior B's, but I agree that I very much enjoyed her at SA this year. Both programs were delightful especially the FS despite the hard fall on the lutz. I felt that if she wasn't such an unknown she would have received the PCS to place higher in the competition that was pretty much a splatfest. I also thought her 3S was not underrotated. She had a lot of transitions in her SP and a lot of transitions out of her jumps in the FS. The tuck she gets in her flying sit spin is marvelous as well as her true lutz. She was probably encouraged to compete for another year with funding last year but yet to hear if she wants to compete again this year. If you haven't yet, check out her SA FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt7Ta9590lA! I hope she does though, I heard she added a 3F and practiced 3T-3T this past year for the first time (late bloomer!). And USFSA was more generous with Senior B's this past year.

lol, with this info, I should map out GP selection for American ladies

Tripping on the Podium Narumi1997's Avatar
    From Vincent Zhou's Bio

Has skipped grades in school, and is in ninth grade honors math class and in the seventh grade gifted program for other subjects
    WOW. Just WOW. Elite Skater while doing 9th grade math when by age, he's a 5th grader. I skipped a grade too...but not 4

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Rachael Flatt is now in envelop C. Czisny is in B.
    i know, awful.

Custom Title
    Cesario is actually eligible for one more season of JGP since her birthday is in August. She will turn 19 after the July 1st cutoff this summer, so she can do JGP if she wants to. That being said, she deferred admission to Fashion Institute of Technology this year, so if she wants to attend, she would be starting this fall, otherwise she would have to reapply to colleges at a later date. So idk what her competitive plans are but that may make a difference.

Also, Christina is starting Harvard this fall. Where she has funding, I assume she will continue competing, though of course she might retire if she wants to focus on school, but even if she does compete, she might not want to travel internationally to do so. She has a bye to the 2012 Nationals, so perhaps she would take the fall to become adjusted to Harvard and her new training situation and then make Nationals her first event of the season.

Anyways, with the new reduced spots, I'm not sure any of the 1 event guaranteed skaters are really a "shoe-in" for 2, particularly Agnes and Mirai who did not have great international seasons. Alissa after all her meltdowns might not get 2 either, but odds are probably better because she does have a high WS and SB, and Gracie can probably get 2, but nothing is certain. Ashley is the only US lady that is certain of getting 2 GPs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Also, Christina is starting Harvard this fall. Where she has funding, I assume she will continue competing, though of course she might retire if she wants to focus on school, but even if she does compete, she might not want to travel internationally to do so. She has a bye to the 2012 Nationals, so perhaps she would take the fall to become adjusted to Harvard and her new training situation and then make Nationals her first event of the season.
    That would actually work out well for her as Harvard's spring term starts at the tail end of January. The Ivies in the frigid North tend to have near month long winter breaks.

Custom Title
    From last year, being particularly high on either list helped almost all the american skaters to get to events. Even though Mirai and Alissa did not do well at the end of the season, what they did in the beginning of the season put them in the near top of both lists. That being said, Mirai, Alissa, Caroline are pretty much set: Mirai racked a lot points from Nebelhorn and SBS at CoC, Alissa racked a lot points from the GP and SBS at SA. For Caroline's case we can look at Wagner's 2011 GP selection criteria, Wagner had the 17 highest SBS and 25 WR and still got two events. Caroline's 9 SBS and 26 WR is very comparable. I think Caroline has a better chance than Agnes because of her high SBS but Agnes is in the same boat: 25 SBS and 19 WR (on 1 list is top 24 out of top 24 in the other).

Custom Title
    I'm most disappointed by Richard. I'd love to see him in envelope A next year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    He's been tweeting videos of himself in practice landing 4 toes and 3a-3t and 3a-3t-2lo combos so he seems to be in a good place right now . Hopefully we'll see that in competition next season and he'll be in a good place going into the Olympic season to try and get named to the team. I think he kinda got thrown into the spotlight last season and then got a little spooked because all of a sudden he was expected to be one of the top US skaters and a near lock for the World team, and this was only his first full-senior season! His consistency in the 10-11 season makes me think he isn't a headcase and will come back strong.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Then he needs to compete better.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Then he needs to compete better.
    I have a feeling Ricky will really hit it out of the park this season. Those videos on his twitter are veryyy impressive.

Doesn't matter what you do in batting practice, it only matters what you do in the game.

Custom Title
    Right now the only 3 US girls that i'd like to see with 2 GP events are Ashley, Caroline and Gracie just because they actually compete and don't look petrified before they skate and don't usually meltdown. After that it's a tossup between Mira, Alissa and Agnes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2