Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OMG! Very close call!

4th Time Around

OMG! Very close call!

I was up in the air halfway through a salchow when out of the corner of my eye I caught this little girl about 7 or 8yo go sliding down on the ice right under me! I put my feet together and came down on both feet up on my toes.

This kid was literally touching the bottoms of my blades! One extra second and she would have been toast. It's horrifying to think what would have happened to her if I hadn't seen her while up in the air. A blade through the face, a punctured femoral artery, a blade in the skull and brain damage, broken bones from me landing on top of her... thank God I saw her!

And even after that near death experience, the kid still did not watch where she was going.
    Last edited by treesprite; 05-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm guessing this was on a public session and the child was not supervised?

Tripping on the Podium
    It truly is amazing, and sad. In my lessons (half of them are in a public skate session) the other coaches seem to care less about whether their students are invading my space or not. What is important to them is THEIR student. Forget about the 40 year old man learning how to skate. These girls have shows to perform. They're not stopping, and they ain't looking. It's a shame that so few rinks exist now compared to yesteryear, and ice is so expensive for 1-3 people to share.

Many coaches have lost the idea of teaching common courtesy. One of the two rinks that are 10 minutes apart has a sheet down right now and the other rink is SUPER full on the 2p-5p FS sessions (25-30 skaters) of various levels (barely able to stand up to 3+3's) and it's really hairy. This is why I like my early AM ice time...

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Many coaches have lost the idea of teaching common courtesy. One of the two rinks that are 10 minutes apart has a sheet down right now and the other rink is SUPER full on the 2p-5p FS sessions (25-30 skaters) of various levels (barely able to stand up to 3+3's) and it's really hairy. This is why I like my early AM ice time...
    some of the coaches at my rink are the same...they do not teach their students common courtesy and to be respectful to others when they are in their programs. they will literally run you over.

I like when the kid who's going to "run you over" is less than 1/2 your size. One day, I will land on one and squash them.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm getting to the point that I am tired of just stopping in my tracks so these prima donna's can do their routine. Next time I may just continue on my way, hell or high water, with my elbows out to protect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    some of the coaches at my rink are the same...they do not teach their students common courtesy and to be respectful to others when they are in their programs. they will literally run you over.
    Quote Originally Posted by thevaliantx View Post
    I'm getting to the point that I am tired of just stopping in my tracks so these prima donna's can do their routine. Next time I may just continue on my way, hell or high water, with my elbows out to protect myself.
    Unless this was/is a public session, then it is pretty much common everywhere that you always watch out for the skater doing his/her program. If someone is skating their competitive/show program you are supposed to move out of their way. That's what everyone I know teaches their students, and I know it's pretty much common coutesy everywhere.

This is true UNLESS the kid has used up their opportunities to skate their program. I think more than 2X on an hour long FS session means I am not moving again.

Tripping on the Podium
    What I've been noticing is that some of these kids (and their snotty parents) come in with an air of "this is MY rink!!!!" and they are told by their coaches "don't worry about the others". It wouldn't surprise me if some of those parents came down out of the stands if THEIR children weren't getting the ice time that THEY need. That's just what I'm seeing here in New York. I haven't seen this in the one rink I've been to in Massachusetts. In MA the skaters I've been around -- they were all a lot better than me -- seemed to respect the presence of other skaters. I think some of it depends on the rinks and their willingness to enforce rules of behavior.

It's not really the rink, it's the coaches. The coaches need to be teaching their students respect - respect others, go around them, don't play your music incessantly on a session....

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thevaliantx View Post
    You're paying for your session. Unless their music is on and they have right of way, or they are being coached (second right of way), then if they get in your way, it is their fault.

There are two rather snooty girls at my rink who sneered at me, the adult who should've stopped skating by now, when we came within inches of one another. It's not just coaches who need to teach the kids common courtesy, but the parents. Some parents think their daughter or son (oh some of the boys stare at me as if I'm something alien, this thirty-something male coming to practice on THEIR ice) is the next big thing, so the kids grow up with big heads on their shoulders.

4th Time Around
    It was a public session, but one in which 4 or 5 private freestyle lessons were going on. This girl was not in a lesson or anything. I don't know what she was even doing in the middle of the ice because in the couple times I've seen her, she has not done any jumping or spinning. I'm thinking maybe she was trying to do a shoot-the-duck, which has no business being through the center of the ice where people are doing freestyle and lessons.

A big problem is that skaters who are not doing freestyle, most especially kids who are beginners, like to use the center circle to practice crossovers even though there are 4 circles at the ends (2 on each end), or the center lines just to do edges along, or work on 3 turns which they could do on the ends of the rink like most other people. I hate it when people do crossovers around the middle circle; they refuse to stray off the path of the circle even if it means having a run-in with someone spinning or jumping.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    It's impossible to do a sit spin at my rink without feeling like you are gonna slice a little kid in half...

4th Time Around
    Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    It's impossible to do a sit spin at my rink without feeling like you are gonna slice a little kid in half...
    Makes me not want to imagine a flying camel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast