Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: OMG! Very close call!

I am only speaking of my experience in my area (hence I said in my experience). When I skate on one of the only adult FS sessions in our area, there are a couple much older Bronze skaters who I would describe as closer to test level (I would describe them as very tentative and more like a Prebronze level skater) who seem to be in their own little world and like to set up camp in small areas at a time. I know where they are and based on what they are doing can predict where they are headed but when I get within 5-10 feet of them while going by (setting up a jump, skating a program, etc) these skaters tend to freak out or change direction into my path as if they had no idea I was on the ice until I am approaching their current campgrounds. Competitive pre-pres have a different skill set than adult Bronzes (versus test level pre-pres who are typically much more unpredictable in terms of reaction/ability to trend the traffic than lower level adults). As I said, many of the lower level skaters I've been on sessions with (children and adults alike) seem to be confused by the person spinning and jumping in the other direction and whose patterns for jump practice are completely opposite what they usually see. I make it a point to avoid sessions which I know are dominated by these skaters as much as possible as I don't like spending my time being distracted by where they are. There are the returning skaters or people from other sports who take up skating later in life (gymnasts, dancers, roller skaters) who aren't as tentative as the folks I've described above and who have previous experience either as a skater or in that other activity that give them good spatial awareness and ability to focus inwardly (what am I doing) and outwardly (what are the people around me doing and who's program is that) at the same time.

On the Ice
    I really disagree with most of the comments about where certain levels should be. I'm an adult pre-bronze skater and I skate almost always with the few elite teenagers. It was agreed between me, my coach, and the skating director that I am more of a danger to the higher level kids than I am to the elite teens. I outweigh the kids by about 150pounds. It is not a pretty sight to see me collide with a 9 year old because she is so short that when I look over my shoulder she is in my blind spot. A parent threw a fit because I was on the ice with smaller kids. I am more comfortable being on the ice with people my size. I know when I see one of them flying down the ice I better get to the boards and fast.

4th Time Around
    I am a CW skater and I am 100% aware at all times that the other skaters probably think I'm about to jump when I'm about to spin. I think the people who see me a lot do a better job of sharing space with me than the skaters who aren't used to me. One of the first things I do when someone I don't recognize shows up is to observe the person's habits before trying to negotiate space simply by way of movement.

The other day I was overjoyed when I heard an instructor tell her child student who was skating backwards around the center circle, to watch where she was going so she wouldn't run into the lady. That was the first time ever that I heard an instructor telling a student to watch behind them. I felt like going after her lesson was over and thanking her, but she left when I wasn't paying attention.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3