Any suggestions on choreographers/music choices for Daisuke 2012-13 season? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Any suggestions on choreographers/music choices for Daisuke 2012-13 season?

I didn't mean that Daisuke shouldn't skate to movie music or that he had never skated to movie music. Sorry if I was unclear. (I loved his "La Strada.) I just meant that he's a subtle and sophisticated enough skater that he could reach for music that isn't as well known to the general public these days. Most people are up on at least some movie music. I'm sorry to say that at least in the U.S., classical music is an unknown country to the majority of people. I live in hope that this situation will change!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
No matter what music he chooses, I just want him to make the program that will make that music to retire. Like Blues for Klook. I doubt someone else would ever want to try anything better with it.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Toller Cranston was involved with some great thematic ice extravaganzas like this.

He was Tybalt in a Romeo & Juliet on Ice in 1982
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=032DwlgcNHo

His Dreamweaver special was really wonderful, but I don't see it on youtube just now.
(and the rest of this post!)

Doris, thank you so much for all vid links! :), I am a bit late to say this, though...:eek::

Toller Cranston greatly influenced Mrs. Utako Nagamitsu, Dai's long time coach, for her direction as a professional coach.

On her last year as competitive skater, she went to Sapporo to watch all the competitions of figure skating at the Olympic Games in 1972, which was her FIRST encounter to any sort of international competitions in her whole life.

She said in the interview that she attended every practices and competitions from the day 1, and she was so much excited, delighted to get to see the world's top skaters for the first time, and enjoyed every minute of it.
What's the most remarkable with this, I thought, is the skater who caught her notice and attracted the most was Toller Cranston.

Asked why it was Cranston who placed only 9th at Mens comp, and not Jannet Lynn the Bronze Medalist who was called as 'fairy on the ice' and adored the most by lots of Japanese back then, Mrs. Nagamitsu simply answered, "Why? He danced!, in spite of being a male skater."

It was indeed an interesting article for me to get to know Utako sensei as once-competitive skater, as a coach and as a person. We see lots of articles focused on skaters, but not so often focused on their coaches, do we? Maybe I should do translation of this article later in Dai's other thread...:yes:

Thanks again Doris, for the vids. :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Toller was absolutely amazing. There are those of us for whom he is still among the most incredibly special skaters of all times.

He was much more interesting than Janet (who was a lovely, lovely skater,).

Some of Toller's amateur competitions and exhibtions still exist!

1973 Skate Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w9hi2AdP0Y

His Skate Canada 1975 SP to Graduation Ball was fab. Here is a two part program on him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NyCTKltCe0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eG30izLTX8&feature=relmfu

1974 SP & LP, Toller commentating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AZboQ0R08&feature=relmfu

Doris, thank you so much for all vid links! :), I am a bit late to say this, though...:eek::

Toller Craston greatly influenced Mrs. Utako Nagamitsu, Dai's long time coach, for her direction as a professional coach.

On her last year as competitive skater, she went to Sapporo to watch all the competitions of figure skating at the Olympic Games in 1972, which was her FIRST encounter to any sort of international competitions in her whole life.

She said in the interview that she attended every practices and competitions from the day 1, and she was so much excited, delighted to get to see the world's top skaters for the first time, and enjoyed every minute of it.
What's the most remarkable with this, I thought, is the skater who caught her notice and attracted the most was Toller Craston.

Asked why it was Craston who placed only 9th at Mens comp, and not Jannet Lynn the Bronze Medalist who was called as 'fairy on the ice' and adored the most by lots of Japanese back then, Mrs. Nagamitsu simply answered, "Why? He danced!, in spite of being a male skater."

That's especially interesting to me because the first two skaters that I noticed when tuning in to skating on my little black-and-white TV a few years later were Toller Cranston and John Curry. Though I love ladies' skating, not a single lady captured my attention the way these two guys did. (I just missed Janet Lynn's career. The skaters I saw were Dorothy Hamill, Dianne de Leeuw, and Cristina Errath, among others.) In something I read by Toller once, he cited his two favorite lady skaters as Janet Lynn and Laurence Owen, the 16-year-old 1961 U.S. champion who died with the rest o the American team in the plane crash. Both of those ladies were considered artistic for their day.

Toller often had a low standing because of school figures. Equally often, he would place very high in the free skate, often winning it. I think that his contributions to skating were disproportionately large compared to his international medal count. I think he had one or two world bronzes and the one Olympic bronze. But he was one of the forerunners of skating that was both artistic and athletic. Almost all the men who have come after him, and certainly most of the Canadian skaters, owe something to him. He wasn't all art, either. Like Curry, his jumps were high and strong, and if you look at the short program from Skate America that Doris recommends, you'll see that his footwork was both original and commanding. This guy could skate! I'm so glad he had a long pro career. I got to see him live twice in professional shows, and he was amazing in person.

Doris, thanks for all the links! I can see an affinity between Toller and Daisuke. Both of them are great technicians and charismatic performers to whom the music is supreme.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
But he was one of the forerunners of skating that was both artistic and athletic. Almost all the men who have come after him, and certainly most of the Canadian skaters, owe something to him. He wasn't all art, either. Like Curry, his jumps were high and strong, and if you look at the short program from Skate America that Doris recommends, you'll see that his footwork was both original and commanding. This guy could skate! I'm so glad he had a long pro career. I got to see him live twice in professional shows, and he was amazing in person.

Doris, thanks for all the links! I can see an affinity between Toller and Daisuke. Both of them are great technicians and charismatic performers to whom the music is supreme.

What wonderful opportunities for you to get to see him live twice, Olympia!

Utako sensei exactly believed what you have just said, seeing Toller skate and dance in front of her: "there soon will come the time male skaters start/need to skate and dance on the ice". As for the ability to dance, she also believed, citing ballet dancers, that male skaters can easily catch up with female skaters and eventually surpass them, due to their superior physical strengths and athleticism.
Sadly, she got criticized for her belief because male skaters were all about figures, jumps and spins in those days in Japan, but she did not changed her belief.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I had my head cooled down a bit...

According to IN, Daisuke is going to work with Lori for 2012-13 season, and it says 'programs', so that means 2 programs, right?
Okay. Let me put things in order...........

-Patrick wo'nt work with Lori, but with David Wilson and Jeffrey Buttle
-Daisuke, instead, will work with Lori, and probably for 2 programs
-Evgeni has contracted with Pasquale Camerlengo for 2 seasons until Sochi Olympics
-Yuruzu has joined Team Brian Orser. Rumored choreographer is going to be Wilso, but not confirmed yet
-Petrenko is going to do choreo for Michal's SP. I am not so sure if it's a good idea, though...
-Zueva will do choreo for Takahiko again. Not so sure for this one, either.
-Tom Dickson will do choreo for Nobunari's SP. And Lori for his LP
-Johnny will come back with 'Firebird' program. Rumored landing quads

...Life is full of mysteries all the time. So does Mens figure skating.........Why not? :biggrin:

Many of my favorite boys are going to explore new directions, try to expand range of their styles, or at least go for something different the upcoming season. That's why I LOVE MENS FIGURE SKAITNG! :cool:
GOOO BOYS!!! :rock:

SGrand

Final Flight
It's going to be a very interesting and surprising season! Really looking forward to it! :D

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I had my head cooled down a bit...

According to IN, Daisuke is going to work with Lori for 2012-13 season, and it says 'programs', so that means 2 programs, right?
Okay. Let me put things in order...........

-Patrick wo'nt work with Lori, but with David Wilson and Jeffrey Buttle
-Daisuke, instead, will work with Lori, and probably for 2 programs
-Evgeni has contracted with Pasquale Camerlengo for 2 seasons until Sochi Olympics
-Yuruzu has joined Team Brian Orser. Rumored choreographer is going to be Wilso, but not confirmed yet
-Petrenko is going to do choreo for Michal's SP. I am not so sure if it's a good idea, though...
-Zueva will do choreo for Takahiko again. Not so sure for this one, either.
-Tom Dickson will do choreo for Nobunari's SP. And Lori for his LP
-Johnny will come back with 'Firebird' program. Rumored landing quads

...Life is full of mysteries all the time. So does Mens figure skating.........Why not? :biggrin:

Many of my favorite boys are going to explore new directions, try to expand range of their styles, or at least go for something different the upcoming season. That's why I LOVE MENS FIGURE SKAITNG! :cool:
GOOO BOYS!!! :rock:

Ooo Daisuke with Lori!!! I expect he will skate classic European then :p Can't wait!!! I just love how he keep rotating choreographers and willing to try different styles year after year. I wonder if he will get some Lori bonus this year, hope so.... haha, and he will deserve every 0.1 point of it :)

I can't wait for Johnny too, am a big fan.

deedee1

Record Breaker
These are my favorite programs recently done by Lori:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyUwtmch9w

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHzfiygvtU

I still love this Mao :love:, and Carolina with this music and choreo is the best for me! :yes:

I am so sure they will pick up a classical piece, and considering the current form of Daisuke with some ballet exercises and more flexibility, I am really looking forward to what ideas Lori will come up with! :party:

Life is so short. Better enjoy it while we can. No time to grieve for it, guys! :biggrin:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Sigh. In retrospect, it makes sense that Daisuke would want to work with Lori Nichol. Of all the well-known choreographers in the sport, Daisuke has worked with almost everyone: Nikolai Morozov, Tatiana Tarasova, David Wilson, Pasquale Camerlengo, Shae-Lynn Bourne, Kenji Miyamato.....that is, everyone except for Lori Nichol. With Patrick going elsewhere for choreography and Daisuke surely retiring after Sochi, next season is perhaps one of Daisuke's last opportunities working with Lori on a competitive level.

I will be VERY disappointed if Lori chooses a boring old warhorse piece of music for Daisuke though.....

I will be VERY disappointed if Lori chooses a boring old warhorse piece of music for Daisuke though.....

You know I agree with you, Evangeline!

My first impression of Lori was through her work with Michelle from 1993 or so on. At that point, I was transfixed by her innovative music choices, including Salome, The Yellow River Concerto, Lyra Angelica of course, and the combination of the Villa-Lobos "Song of the Black Swan" and a section of Dvorak chamber music. I hope that Takahashi will inspire her to make similarly daring choices and not do what she did with Evan. It's possible that because Evan is very straightforward and heart-on-his-sleeve emotional, Lori decided to play it safe with him. Takahashi has a far more poetic approach to skating, and his ability to inhabit the music is as magical as Michelle's. I hope that leads to more unexpected music.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sigh.

I share your sigh. It took me almost all of Saturday to recover from a shock myself. :p
Do not worry. I am sure the Daisuke/Lori collaboration does not go 'Evan's route'.

As Olympia says, she will choose pieces more like Calorina's or Michelle's. Daisuke will definitely inspire, may even demand ;) Lori to be more creative in choreo and to choose more unique/unexpected or most difficult piece of music to interpret and skate to. :yes:

Prior to 2005-06 season after working with Tarasova/Platov team for two years, Daisuke and coach Nagamitsu were in dire need in going for new direction in order to preaper for Torino (spots for Mens disc. at Olympics down to ONE spot, you know...). They listed up and weighed Nikolai and Pasquale as probable choreographers, and decided to try Nikolai first.
In spring 2008 when they had to part ways with Nikolai (due to Nikolai+Nobunari team-up :scowl:), they then naturally asked Pasquale to do his choreo. Pasquale has been so successful for creating wonderful programs for him, that led them to continue working together for 4 seasons so far.
When rumored Evgeni contracted with Camerlengo, I had a hunch that Dai might have a year off with Pasquale and go for a new choreographer upcoming season (never thought of Lori, though...)

During his days still with Nikolai and asked about future choreographers he wanted to work with, Daisuke mentioned David Wilson and Lori Nichol quite often. My guess is their names has been always on Dai's mind. For that matter I am happy for him to finally get to work with Lori! :)