Multiple reasons implicated
Maybe really injured
Messy results identified
Must rest immediately
Media report incoming
Many rumors initiated
... Message responses indefinite
Mystery remains inevitable

Three little letters, so many possibilities...

- Alissa Czisny

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Alissa-Czisny-Page/144134182298712

I hope Alissa is okay and it's nothing really serious.

Oh, dear...I don't like the implications of that acronym. But what a witty collection of phrases! If Alissa wrote that, she's putting her college degree to very good use.

Stay strong, Alissa!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For Alissa:

Marvelous Results Indicated
Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image
Most Resonating Interpretation
Muster Reliable Information
Many Rewarding Intuitions
Marvelously Resplendent Impression
Most Remarkable Improvement
Masterpiece Refined Infinitely
Mistake Repetition Impossible
Miraculous Recovery Impending

macy

Record Breaker
For Alissa:

Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image

awesome, way to be positive!

i hope she's alright too and that the MRI if that is what she is getting will turn out fine. but i hope that she figures out what's going on one way or another.

deedee1

Record Breaker
For Alissa:

Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image

How thoughtful of you to write the above for her, SkateFiguring.

I sincerely hope she somehow gets to read your returning message.
Here is my prayer, too; Alissa will be fine soon and feels better. :yes:

P.S.
I'm wondering if the usage of 'somehow' is correct, so that the sentense as a whole does not sound any sarcastic or inconsiderate, especially in a case like this when we all feel for Alissa.

I used to hate writing/reading in English as a student, because grammar and its usage of vocabularies relating to subjunctive mood remained the weakest point during my college days. I was in danger, a couple of times, of failing credits in English literature such as Shakespeare.

P.S.2
I hope I would ever have a sense for wording one tenth (1/10) as good as yours, SF. :) Poetry and such, even in my own language, has never been my strong field whole my life...

periperi

On the Ice
Aw man, I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with her... Stay strong and feel better, Alissa!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
For Alissa:

Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image

LOL... very cute love this.

Alissa, maybe it is time to add 'Must Read Internet' to see your fan support ;P

How thoughtful of you to write the above for her, SkateFiguring.

I sincerely hope she somehow gets to read your returning message.
Here is my prayer, too; Alissa will be fine soon and feels better. :yes:

P.S.
I'm wondering if the usage of 'somehow' is correct, so that the sentense as a whole does not sound any sarcastic or inconsiderate, especially in a case like this when we all feel for Alissa.

I used to hate writing/reading in English as a student, because grammar and its usage of vocabularies relating to subjunctive mood remained the weakest point during my college days. I was in danger, a couple of times, of failing credits in English literature such as Shakespeare.

P.S.2
I hope I would ever have a sense for wording one tenth (1/10) as good as yours, SF. :) Poetry and such, even in my own language, has never been my strong field whole my life...

SF, I too hope Alissa sees your supportive (and ingenious) message! It will buoy her up, I'm sure.

Deedee, your use of somehow in that sentence is just right. It sounds straightforward and sincere, with no hint of sarcasm. Whatever travails you went through in your efforts to learn English are paying off. As you say, in that sentence, it's the adverb somehow that's tricky, not the verb form, and you used the suitable adverb in the right position in the sentence. English is really sloppy with subjunctives because we often don't have a separate form for that mode. I think most native speakers couldn't tell you when they are using the subjunctive. In fact, I didn't really know what the subjunctive was until I started learning French and Latin.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Alissa:

Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image

This is great!

Aw man, I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with her... Stay strong and feel better, Alissa!

Amen!

LOL... very cute love this.

Alissa, maybe it is time to add 'Must Read Internet' to see your fan support ;P

:love:

SF, I too hope Alissa sees your supportive (and ingenious) message! It will buoy her up, I'm sure.

Deedee, your use of somehow in that sentence is just right. It sounds straightforward and sincere, with no hint of sarcasm. Whatever travails you went through in your efforts to learn English are paying off. As you say, in that sentence, it's the adverb somehow that's tricky, not the verb form, and you used the suitable adverb in the right position in the sentence. English is really sloppy with subjunctives because we often don't have a separate form for that mode. I think most native speakers couldn't tell you when they are using the subjunctive. In fact, I didn't really know what the subjunctive was until I started learning French and Latin.

I had no idea of subjunctive mood until I studied French & Spanish (and I found it even harder in Spanish, which was a surprise).

For Alissa:

Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image

:rock: Well said!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The term MRI ( magnetic resonance imaging ) has come into common use over the last 20 or 25 years. It was originally an anaytical tool in organic chemistry. It was originally called NMR ( nuclear magnetic resonance ), but people were afraid of anything with the term "nuclear" in its name.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
For Alissa:

Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image

Awww SF your poem to Alissa is so sweet! I hope everthying will turn out for the best for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The term MRI ( magnetic resonance imaging ) has come into common use over the last 20 or 25 years. It was originally an anaytical tool in organic chemistry. It was originally called NMR ( nuclear magnetic resonance ), but people were afraid of anything with the term "nuclear" in its name.

Ah, interesting.

As for Czisny- well, cryptic message indeed but if it means what everyone is implying here, well it is really no surprise. Until more is revealed, I'll stay away from speculation but I kinda saw this coming...

ETA: SF I honestly think you should send that to her. She'd appreciate the effort I think.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many thanks to Olympia!, for your quick, accurate and thoughtful reply, as usual, to my grammartical question. :)

One of the greatest benefits for me to join this board is I have so many great tutors for my English! :yes:
Whenever I ask something, somebody always is so kind to give me its answers in a swift and smart manner, or rather covertly without making me feel embarrassed.
And even better for me is I can get them for free! :biggrin:

Interesting to know that, as Olympia and iluvtodd mentioned, some of you, as native speakers yourselves, did not notice if there was conjunctive mood in English until you started learning other languages.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Doris, that's so funny, I learned about subjunctive mood (mostly just knowing you should say, "If I were ... " rather than "If I was ... " even though "I" is singular) also from Latin in HS! It's amazing how you really formalize your understanding of grammatical nuances, as you aptly termed them, when you study another language.

Now, if we can just get so many to stop using "I" as the object of compound prepositional phrases ("for you and I" really should be "for you and me," for example -- I was always taught to just drop the first part as a quick check -- you wouldn't say, "for I" you'd say, "for me" -- and that reminds you it's objective case). And don't get me started on "than" and "then" - how did that misusage even start?

Back to Alissa, I don't go on FB, did anyone say when her MRI results would be posted?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
English is really sloppy with subjunctives because we often don't have a separate form for that mode. I think most native speakers couldn't tell you when they are using the subjunctive. In fact, I didn't really know what the subjunctive was until I started learning French and Latin.

I had no idea of subjunctive mood until I studied French & Spanish (and I found it even harder in Spanish, which was a surprise).

I look at it this way. We Americans took our sloppy subjunctives to the surface of the moon. How far did the French, Romans and Spanish get?

Doris, that's so funny, I learned about subjunctive mood (mostly just knowing you should say, "If I were ... " rather than "If I was ... " even though "I" is singular) also from Latin in HS! It's amazing how you really formalize your understanding of grammatical nuances, as you aptly termed them, when you study another language.

Now, if we can just get so many to stop using "I" as the object of compound prepositional phrases ("for you and I" really should be "for you and me," for example -- I was always taught to just drop the first part as a quick check -- you wouldn't say, "for I" you'd say, "for me" -- and that reminds you it's objective case). And don't get me started on "than" and "then" - how did that misusage even start?

Back to Alissa, I don't go on FB, did anyone say when her MRI results would be posted?

That's one of my pet peeves also, "for you and I." Your way of testing it out, dropping the first part, is the best way to check and also the best way to explain it to anyone.

Studying another language makes us realize that all language has a structure, even the one we started speaking in baby talk at the age of one. Latin is one of the best languages for exploring the structure of language because it's so regular. Because nouns have six cases, you can tell when a noun is supposed to be an object of a preposition or an indirect object, for example, or whether it's the subject or object of the sentence.

As for Alissa, I hope she finds out soon if something is amiss, and I hope it can repair itself.

verte76

On the Ice
I hope she's OK!

For Alissa:

Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image

Pretty quote.

For Alissa: Get well soon and I hope nothing is wrong!

Last edited by a moderator: