Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a way, it might be better to find there is something wrong, and work on fixing it. If there is nothing wrong, then Alissa still doesn't have a clue as to why she skated so badly.

verte76

On the Ice
Sort of a cryptic message. She must have an injury.

Maybe. If she has something wrong then works on fixing it she might know why she had such a bad skate at Worlds.

Can't find her Facebook page. I'm on Facebook and I can't find her page.

LOL... very cute love this.

Alissa, maybe it is time to add 'Must Read Internet' to see your fan support ;P

I agree.

Stay strong Alissa!

Last edited by a moderator:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Verte, Alissa's FB page is linked in the OP. Here it is again:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alissa-Czisny-Page/144134182298712

Since you are on FB and since so many seem to think it may do her good to see my spins on "MRI", maybe you can bring them there or call her attention to this thread?

I didn't expect so much attention on my little word play which was meant to show different and positive meanings can be derived from the same words or situations. It is a matter of focus and choice. It may be encouraging for Alissa to realize this. I believe in deliberate creation with one's mind. The instant effects of positive and negative thoughts on the body can be easily demonstrated. So why waste one's energy and risk increasing the chances of negative outcomes? I hope Alissa as a skater realizes the importance of mental exercise and uses it to her advantage.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I suppose someone else can share SF's poem on Czisny's facebook, with SF's permission & appropriate credit given, of course. I don't know if anyone else here is Czisny's "friend" or not, but if posted on there I'm positive she will see it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^ I wouldn't call it a poem at all. LOL. Just immediate phrases coming to my mind using M R I like Alissa did, but from a positive perspective. I actually cut them down to about the same number of phrases as she put out. I probably should have arranged them in a more meaningful way. Anyways, in this forum, I can never tell which one of my many mumbling posts will end up getting attention. Always amusing when one does.

R.D.

Record Breaker
poem, immediate phrases, all the same thing to me, you guys are fitting words within a specified structure (MRI in this case) :p

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope she proceeds cautiously here with her statements to the public. If her poor performance is attributable to an injury she knew about, she should have never gone to Worlds after seeing what happened with Rachel last year. It's hard to imagine a situation in which she didn't know she had an injury, but it did affect her performances, and would be revealed with an MRI. Obviously I hope she will be ok but it makes me a bit angry to think she knew she wouldn't be able to skate her best at Worlds but decided to go anyway.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's why I feel this is deja vu- but again, I'll wait until more details are released.

I hope she proceeds cautiously here with her statements to the public. If her poor performance is attributable to an injury she knew about, she should have never gone to Worlds after seeing what happened with Rachel last year. It's hard to imagine a situation in which she didn't know she had an injury, but it did affect her performances, and would be revealed with an MRI. Obviously I hope she will be ok but it makes me a bit angry to think she knew she wouldn't be able to skate her best at Worlds but decided to go anyway.

I don't feel that way at all. Every athlete is all banged up by the end of the season. I can easily imagine a situation where a skater could make it to the world championship despite an accumulation of aches and pains, determined to suck it up, shake it off, and push through no matter what.

The off-season is the time for MRIs, rehab, rest, and finding out if there is really something wrong that requires medical intervention before next season.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Czisny and Abbott were both a mess at the end of the year. Perhaps the Sato/Dungjen team just has too many skaters now to give each the attention they need. Alissa was coming back from injury at GPF and pushing to up her tech. Jeremy was pushing to get the Quad in the short and recover from the injury that kept him out of 4CC. Maybe they just over trained and wore out. At their ages, they've got to be dealing with chronic issues.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't feel that way at all. Every athlete is all banged up by the end of the season. I can easily imagine a situation where a skater could make it to the world championship despite an accumulation of aches and pains, determined to suck it up, shake it off, and push through no matter what.

The off-season is the time for MRIs, rehab, rest, and finding out if there is really something wrong that requires medical intervention before next season.

I agree that she did "push through no matter what," but should she have? Clearly something was different this time as she had a few poor performances leading up to Worlds and had poor practices. It is detrimental for the USFSA to have athletes be in complete denial about their physical state and take it upon themselves "to suck it up" and compete at Worlds. Yes people are banged up at the end of the season, but if you are banged up and performing poorly in practice I think you have an obligation to investigate and give up your spot if you cannot perform near your best. Her performances at Worlds were unusually bad by any standard.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think it Alissa made a bad decision, it's bad because of how it affects her health and well being. Beyond that, this whole debate was really tired last year and revisiting it doesn't thrill me. I absolutely disagree that one has an obgliation to give up a spot under these circumstances. I'm on Mathman's side here.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it Alissa made a bad decision, it's bad because of how it affects her health and well being. Beyond that, this whole debate was really tired last year and revisiting it doesn't thrill me. I absolutely disagree that one has an obgliation to give up a spot under these circumstances. I'm on Mathman's side here.

I guess it's a matter of whether you think an athlete has some sort of "ownership" over her spot on the team. To clarify I said I think she had an obligation to investigate the issue, such as getting an MRI, and give up the spot if there is some problem that prevents her from performing well (aside from mental issues). I wonder if, because of what happened with Rachel last year, she either didn't look into the problem or kept it under wraps until after Worlds. I guess I just don't buy that they are only now finding the problem and until now everyone thought it was just normal wear and tear from the season. Obviously I could be wrong, but I cannot imagine her team thought everything was fine given her last few programs and poor practices.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I hope that she figures out what is bothering her. It is so hard to be a fan of hers, because she can have a decent performance and then the next competition fall all over the place. IIRC she did not land either a 2axel or any clean triple in her Worlds appearance. At senior worlds. She was representing USA, not Mexico. I know that since the Olympics are less than two years away it makes sense to stay in and see if you can achieve your goal, but this is painful to watch. Maybe this MRI will tell her once and for all if she should continue. She still can spin well and has a beauty and elegance when she skates, so she could possibly make some sort of pro career, even if she's the feature on a cruise ship. Hoping for the best for her.

Nigel

On the Ice
Czisny and Abbott were both a mess at the end of the year. Perhaps the Sato/Dungjen team just has too many skaters now to give each the attention they need. Alissa was coming back from injury at GPF and pushing to up her tech. Jeremy was pushing to get the Quad in the short and recover from the injury that kept him out of 4CC. Maybe they just over trained and wore out. At their ages, they've got to be dealing with chronic issues.

I agree that perhaps Sato/Dungjen team has had too much on their plate....this is a relatively "young" coaching team...in terms of having so many high level skaters. Injury, overtraining or perhaps the training of newer elements into programs (Abbott's quad, and Alissa talked about adding a 3/3 combo at one point) late in the season.....could have all contributed to lack luster results. And, IMO, in general, for skaters who demonstrate a lack of consistency in programs when trying to "up the ante" that late in the season is perhaps a reflection of an inexperienced coaching team. Those sorts of changes in programs need to occur in the off season, when there is time to do multiple repetitions of the elements in sections of programs so that the skater has time to develop muscle memory with the more difficult element, thus building confidence as well. I think the psychological challenge to add new "risk" elements that late in the season only compromised their performances. And, if Jason and Yuka had fewer skaters, they may have had more time to make a better assessment of the training of their skaters. Too much emotional energy goes into adding "risk" elements when the athlete is under-trained in those elements. Add that to expectations (and for Alissa, perhaps some mental anguish over the status of her recovery status from the injury that occurred at the GPF) and anything else that was going on in the skaters lives.....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Headline from IN:

"Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in hip
Two-time U.S. champion requests, and receives, only one Grand Prix assignment: NHK Trophy"

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
For Alissa:

Marvelous Results Indicated
Must Remain Inspired
Most Reassuring Image
Most Ravishing Image
Most Resonating Interpretation
Muster Reliable Information
Many Rewarding Intuitions
Marvelously Resplendent Impression
Most Remarkable Improvement
Masterpiece Refined Infinitely
Mistake Repetition Impossible
Miraculous Recovery Impending

To show her you're thinking of her positively, I made a screenshot of your post, and posted it on her FB.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Headline from IN:

"Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in hip
Two-time U.S. champion requests, and receives, only one Grand Prix assignment: NHK Trophy"

Thank you for the info. I will go t IN and read the article. Get well soon Alissa!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Get better Alissa! At least she knows the root cause of her health issues and can begin the process of a real recovery.