Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career | Golden Skate

Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Great story! It was very detailed. Interesting what she said about Patrick Chan:

When put on the spot about whether she liked Takahashi's programs over two-time defending world champion Patrick Chan of Canada, Suzuki thought for a moment and provided some interesting perspective.

"I prefer Daisuke's programs over Patrick's, but Patrick has really accurate edge work," she observed. "It seems sometimes like he has a turbo engine on his edge. That's how fast he is and how much speed he has. It just flows. He has very deep edges. He is very accurate on where to put his edges on the ice. That's why he is so strong with his edge work and footwork.

"Patrick is improving on how to express his emotions, but I prefer the originality of Daisuke's programs. But I understand why Patrick gets such high scores despite the mistakes he makes.

"If you ask other skaters to do the same things with those transitions in their programs, it's impossible. From the first step it just starts flowing, he gets up to speed. He is very accurate."

Suzuki suggests that skating judges today are better able to assess the quality of performances because they have been there themselves.

"I personally think that today many of the judges are former skaters and ice dancers who have done compulsory and school figures," she said. "By having more of these kind of judges, they know how accurate Patrick and the footwork of other skaters are. If they do the right thing, they get the scores that they deserve."

Also interesting is her comments on her coaching relationship:
"It has been nearly 10 years since I have been working with Mr. Nagakubo," she said. "When you are working with somebody that long, you start saying things very straightforwardly to each other. So we are fighting all the time.

"Some people say it is like fights between father and daughter. He will scold me sometimes and I will say something back. At the same time, afterward we can have communication. He can explain his feelings about why he said something.

"There are advantages and disadvantages to having such a long relationship. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to see his face today, but tomorrow will be OK. I think our relationship is really strong and good."

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the link, great read! It was interesting to hear her thoughts regarding her eating disorder and how she felt about being known for the disorder rather than her skating.

periperi

On the Ice
Her interview is honest, open, and heartfelt, as like her skating.

Pretty much this. It was an enlightening read for me. Akiko comes across as levelheaded and straightforward. I like how candid her answer to the Takahashi/Chan question is. Just stating her honest opinion, and her description of Patrick's edge work is interesting and definitely accurate. Akiko's comments on her coach and long-term relationships as well as her ED and expressed interest in bringing some awareness to this issue were highlights as well. Thank you for posting the link, japanice!

L

lowtherlore

Interesting read. She sounds very candid and levelheaded. I like her even more!

I love her insights on Patrick and Daisuke. Her description of what makes each of them a great skater is so precise and articulate. I hope she stays in skating for a long time to come.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So she thinks today's judges are better judges on skating performances.:)

So many skaters acknowledged understanding of Patrick's high scores. But many skating fans don't. This is the difference between an Olympic sport and a common art form. I do not claim that I fully understand them, but I do respect the judge decisions with an open mind for learning and studying.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
LOL, she didn't say the judging result was accurate. Only that Patrick deserves high(est) skating skills scores.

questar

Rinkside
LOL, she didn't say the judging result was accurate. Only that Patrick deserves high(est) skating skills scores.

:confused: She didn't say about only Chan's skating skill score. She said about Patrick's whole high scores.
And she says she can understand why Patrick gets such high scores.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My favourite note about the intereview was how often it has her pausing, thinking and then answering. She seems both generous and thoughtful, which is a lovely combination.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
DSC (Detroit Skating Club) Twitter reported:

"Currently, three of the top four Japanese ladies, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, and Haruka Imai, are training here at DSC. More to come."

"Top Japanese Mens skater Takahiko Kozuka (2012 World competitor ranked 2nd in Japan) is also here at DSC working with Yuka Sato."

I am wondering if the Japanese ladies are having their programs choreographed by Pasquale Carmerlengo. Time will tell.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
DSC (Detroit Skating Club) Twitter reported:

"Currently, three of the top four Japanese ladies, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, and Haruka Imai, are training here at DSC. More to come."

"Top Japanese Mens skater Takahiko Kozuka (2012 World competitor ranked 2nd in Japan) is also here at DSC working with Yuka Sato."

I am wondering if the Japanese ladies are having their programs choreographed by Pasquale Carmerlengo. Time will tell.

Well Pasquale choreographed Akiko's awesome FS (and Anjelika Krylova did her SP), so that does not surprise me she is back.

I am interested to hear that Kanako is here. Curious how she'll do with a Pasquale or Anjelika program.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love Akiko! Thank you Akiko is you read goldenskate for inspiring us with your fight to stay skating when people wrote you off. I started a thread that went not far about what we want to see you skate to next year. I hope classical music experts like Olympia find you some great piece. I saw Paul Taylor dance company and lost the program, but the music they used for a funny piece was perfect...I'll have to look up the company and see what they used. I also liked the Brandenburg piece they danced to, which would be a good serious piece but if anyone here is a fan (New Yorkers?) of the famous Paul Taylor Dance Co, they do this very fun, funny dance as bees-male and female-sounds weird I know, but it is classical, orchestral, uplifting and I could see u skating to it.

Akiko, I hope you win the WC next year. You are a very delightful skater. I just hope you podium again. I am your biggest fan. You inspire me! I'd love to see David Wilson do your Sp and Pasquale do your LP. Maybe I won't be here to see it, but I hopoe you have great confidence and good luck. Japanese ladies have Akiko, Haruka and Mao, and the budding Kanako, but you stand your ground. Japan looks to dominate singles and grab the Sochi podium. I hope you can hang in with the Russian babies. Akiko is a special person. She may not look like Shizuka and be tall and thin, but she is like a cool drink. I know I am gushing. Great to have seen Carolina realize her potential and Akiko do so well. It was an inspiring year for ladies. Only downside was Leonova on the podium and not Wagner, but next year, I hope to see Akiko move up to silver.

I like how she honestly and fairly compared Patrick and Dai. She is a diplomat but truthful! Go Akiko!!!!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
:confused: She didn't say about only Chan's skating skill score. She said about Patrick's whole high scores.
And she says she can understand why Patrick gets such high scores.

Understanding something and agreeing with something are two entirely separate things.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:agree::yes: to both:

Her interview is honest, open, and heartfelt, just like her skating.

My favourite note about the intereview was how often it has her pausing, thinking and then answering. She seems both generous and thoughtful, which is a lovely combination.

P.S. to some of posters here:
Do not get started again, you guys...:disapp: This thread is for Akiko, whom and whose skating we all love, admire, and enjoy. :yay:

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Well Pasquale choreographed Akiko's awesome FS (and Anjelika Krylova did her SP), so that does not surprise me she is back.

I am interested to hear that Kanako is here. Curious how she'll do with a Pasquale or Anjelika program.

I've heard Marina Zueva is choreographing a FS for Murakami. She also made her FS last season.

Yuka Sato is Imai's coach and choreographed all of her programs last season. I assume Imai is being choreographed by her again, too.

As for Suzuki, I would like to see her FS choreographed by Krylova this season.

questar

Rinkside
yes!! I will not get started again.
This thread is for Akiko. Right! and I like her :)
Akiko is my favorite Japan female skater. I like her coach too
although I don't know about him well. :p
After reading this interview, I like her more.
She sounds like strong, thoughtful, sweet person.

Plus Kozuka is my favorite male skater in Japan. :)

I wish her the best of luck next season.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
So she thinks today's judges are better judges on skating performances.:)
Yeah, like Ravi Walia, a Canadian bronze medalist, who never medaled at any international event. Or Sung-Hee Koh who was 10th, i.e. the last one, at NHK one day. And a bunch of others who were all great skating performers! :laugh:

Is it like her way of flirting with judges? Because she can't be serious with such statements. They simply don't correspond to the facts.

So many skaters acknowledged understanding of Patrick's high scores.
There are also many others who critisize Chan's highs score and the judging system in general. Plushenko, for example.
This is the difference between an Olympic sport and a common art form.
Here we go again. Chan Patrol lieutenants never miss a chance to call the audience a dumb crowd. The booing in Nice must be still hurting.

I feel for Daisuke. After all that he has contributed in her, practically promoting his fellow team member, when she was ignored by J-media, and such a stab in the back he got in return. Very well. It's always better to know the truth about someone.