Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Back to Akiko: has she ever performed abroad in any shows or other exhibitions? (I mean, any not connected to a competition, obviously.) I can't offhand recall.

Also, is she aware of the level of her international popularity? I sure hope so. She deserves to know how happy she makes so many skating fans.

I think so!

I remember in 2010, she tweeted a letter she received from one of the stars of West Side Story. I remember thinking, "how cool!" and then "she deserved it" because she skated to that music so well!

No kidding? That's impressive. I wonder if it was George Chakiris. I had such a huge crush on him in the movie. He was a dancer and did a tremendous job as Bernardo. Whichever star it was, that was a lovely and considerate gesture.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No kidding? That's impressive. I wonder if it was George Chakiris. I had such a huge crush on him in the movie. He was a dancer and did a tremendous job as Bernardo. Whichever star it was, that was a lovely and considerate gesture.

It was from George Chakiris! Per this article (http://www.haaba.com/news/2010/02/19/1-388305/olympicsfskate-suzuki-delight-at-oscar-winners-praise), which was published right before she competed at the Olympics:

Japanese figure skater Akiko Suzuki revealed her delight Friday at receiving a letter from Academy Award-winning actor George Chakiris praising her on her free skate to West Side Story.

Chakiris won the Best Supporting Actor award for his role of Bernardo in the 1961 movie version of West Side Story.

And Suzuki will be portraying Maria in her free skate on February 25.

"When I trained with Shae-Lynn Bourne in Toronto she recommended I skate to West Side Story," she explained.

"I reminded her of the character of Maria, because it's similar to my own personal character - emotional with strong mind and strong heart.

"George Chakiris sent me a letter thanking me for using West Side Story and he wished me all the best at the Olympic Games.

"He said he's looking forward to my performance."

periperi

On the Ice
Aw, that's wonderful! Thanks for the link to the article, Mrs. P. I'd never read about George Chakiris praising her LP to West Side Story! :yay:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I loved Akiko's West Side Story! She really captured the character and music of that era. Thanks for the article.

Last edited: