Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career

Custom Title
    to both:

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Her interview is honest, open, and heartfelt, just like her skating.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    My favourite note about the intereview was how often it has her pausing, thinking and then answering. She seems both generous and thoughtful, which is a lovely combination.
    P.S. to some of posters here:
    Do not get started again, you guys... This thread is for Akiko, whom and whose skating we all love, admire, and enjoy.
    Last edited by deedee1; 05-16-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Well Pasquale choreographed Akiko's awesome FS (and Anjelika Krylova did her SP), so that does not surprise me she is back.

I am interested to hear that Kanako is here. Curious how she'll do with a Pasquale or Anjelika program.
    I've heard Marina Zueva is choreographing a FS for Murakami. She also made her FS last season.

Yuka Sato is Imai's coach and choreographed all of her programs last season. I assume Imai is being choreographed by her again, too.

As for Suzuki, I would like to see her FS choreographed by Krylova this season.

Rinkside
    yes!! I will not get started again.
    This thread is for Akiko. Right! and I like her
    Akiko is my favorite Japan female skater. I like her coach too
    although I don't know about him well.
    After reading this interview, I like her more.
    She sounds like strong, thoughtful, sweet person.

Plus Kozuka is my favorite male skater in Japan.

I wish her the best of luck next season.
    Last edited by questar; 05-17-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    So she thinks today's judges are better judges on skating performances.
    Yeah, like Ravi Walia, a Canadian bronze medalist, who never medaled at any international event. Or Sung-Hee Koh who was 10th, i.e. the last one, at NHK one day. And a bunch of others who were all great skating performers!

Is it like her way of flirting with judges? Because she can't be serious with such statements. They simply don't correspond to the facts.

So many skaters acknowledged understanding of Patrick's high scores.
    There are also many others who critisize Chan's highs score and the judging system in general. Plushenko, for example.
    This is the difference between an Olympic sport and a common art form.
    Here we go again. Chan Patrol lieutenants never miss a chance to call the audience a dumb crowd. The booing in Nice must be still hurting.

I feel for Daisuke. After all that he has contributed in her, practically promoting his fellow team member, when she was ignored by J-media, and such a stab in the back he got in return. Very well. It's always better to know the truth about someone.

Whoa, such bitterness Let's talk. Is that necessary?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Whoa, such bitterness Let's talk. Is that necessary?
    I see. So, when chan ubers call the audience names, they are sweet. But when they get a relevant reply, their opponents are bitter.

Yeah, that was necessary once again to see how it "works".

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I see. So, when chan ubers call the audience names, they are sweet. But when they get a relevant reply, their opponents are bitter.

Yeah, that was necessary once again to see how it "works".
    To accuse Akiko of backstabbing Daisuke because she made some diplomatic comments regarding the judging is a bit much, whether you're a Chan uber or not.

She did say she prefer Dai's programs over Chan's!

As BOP said earlier, she said she understood why the judges gave the score but that doesn't mean she agrees with it 100 percent or that the judges are always right, etc...

Most skaters are very PC when discussing judging results. They are afraid to speak their heart due to backlash. It will be better when IJS is improved/fixed and then it will be less personal. Surely IJS bigwigs heard the boos i Nice and realize why. Guess we will see how the ball rolls.

Banned
    she said she understood why the judges gave the score but that doesn't mean she agrees with it 100 percent
    Well, it's your way to interprete her words. While some Chan ubers qualified them as the aknowledgement of his high scores by an honest woman, whatever that means. Which interpretation is the rightest one, I'll leave it to you guys to figure that out. Also, let's leave this word game of understanding vs. agreeing. If she understands why zamboni wins, then she agrees with the way how GoP has been manipulated by judges to let him win with multiple falls. There is no other option. Otherwise someone has to disagree with how the system in total has been used and therefore disagree with the results it brought. I somehow doubt that she doesn't know that Dai got hurt in Nice because of the unfair judgement, the one that she claims she understands. Just recently her fans were complaining that she was being ignored by J-media. This interview might not have taken place if Dai didn't promote her. You have to realize that Japan is not NA or Europe. He is one of the top celebrity here. She got noticed by press and in one of the first interview she generously paid him back. Very nice.

On a sidenote keep in mind that Japan Times in English is not widely read by Japanese. 99.9% of them don't read English papers at all, as well as English blogs/forums. Today I showed some of my J-buddies the link and asked what would have been if she had said it in the Japanese language to J-press or on J-TV. They said that many people would 感じる (kanjiru, ~"feel") that she was thinking about points in Sochi, and added that such attitude to a fellow team member is not common in Japan. I especially liked the usage of kanjiru, i.e. feel naturally inside, with heart, not some brain activities as the English "think" stands for. But I am not Japanese. I can afford not kanjiru only but also to vocalize my opinion. I would have had a tiny hope that her words had been somehow misinterpreted in translation from Japanese into English. But Jack Gallagher, a California dude by origin, has been a sport journalist in Japan for more than 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Most skaters are very PC when discussing judging results. They are afraid to speak their heart due to backlash.
    You are probably right about "most". That's why it's so reassuring to see when someone have balls to speak out and are not afraid of backlash. Plush, Verner come to mind.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-20-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: trying to stop namecalling

skating philosopher
    Well, it's your way to interprete her words. While some Chan ubers qualified them as the aknowledgement of his high scores by an honest woman, whatever that means. Which interpretation is the rightest one, I'll leave it to you guys to figure that out. Also, let's leave this word game of understanding vs. agreeing. If she understands why zamboni wins, then she agrees with the way how GoP has been manipulated by judges to let him win with multiple falls. There is no other option. Otherwise someone has to disagree with how the system in total has been used and therefore disagree with the results it brought. I somehow doubt that she doesn't know that Dai got hurt in Nice because of the unfair judgement, the one that she claims she understands. Just recently her fans were complaining that she was being ignored by J-media. This interview might not have taken place if Dai didn't promote her. You have to realize that Japan is not NA or Europe. He is one of the top celebrity here. She got noticed by press and in one of the first interview she generously paid him back. Very nice.

On a sidenote keep in mind that Japan Times in English is not widely read by Japanese. 99.9% of them don't read English papers at all, as well as English blogs/forums. Today I showed some of my J-buddies the link and asked what would have been if she had said it in the Japanese language to J-press or on J-TV. They said that many people would 感じる (kanjiru, ~"feel") that she was thinking about points in Sochi, and added that such attitude to a fellow team member is not common in Japan. I especially liked the usage of kanjiru, i.e. feel naturally inside, with heart, not some brain activities as the English "think" stands for. But I am not Japanese. I can afford not kanjiru only but also to vocalize my opinion. I would have had a tiny hope that her words had been somehow misinterpreted in translation from Japanese into English. But Jack Gallagher, a California dude by origin, has been a sport journalist in Japan for more than 10 years.
    I disagree that understanding = acceptance. Or that she accepts the CoP as it is. Gallagher gives no context in the article to make that implication. The only think I can based things on is what the text says. And I come away with that she acknowledges Patrick's skating skills and transition and how that might have influenced the judges despite his mistakes.

Also, given the audience (foreign sportswriters in Japan) it does not make sense to go into an emotional rant of wuzrobbing or hating on the CoP. Akiko was tasked to give the members views of the sport. When I speak to professional organizations, I will often explain certain points about something or explain why something is, but sometimes I don't agree with that view point, but for the sake of context, I will leave my personal views out of it and just explain what is out there.

And as another poster pointed out, if anyone was a vicitm of CoP, it's her — she's been lowballed on PCS for so many years despite skating fantastic programs. But I'm glad that Akiko is classier than that and just worked hard to get to where she is.

Finally Akiko was INVITED to speak to this group, which prompted Gallagher's story. Unless we find out that Daisuke was somehow responsible for the invite, it is uncalled for to say that Akiko owed Daisuke a favor. And again, she said she preferred his programs, so I don't get the fuss.

Custom Title
    As for Akiko's true feeling, she can always tell it directly to Daisuke, if she wants to.
    She does not need Gallagher's usual 'fishy' stories or 'smoky' speculations ...and fan's barren controversy, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    As for Akiko's true feeling, she can always tell it directly to Daisuke, if she wants to.
    She does not need Gallagher's usual 'fishy' stories or 'smoky' speculations ...and fan's barren controversy, of course.

I think they inspire each other
    I think Daisuke has a crush on Akiko and vice versa.
    Dai needs to make the move though, he is the guy and our beautiful akiko is his ice princess!

Banned
    And I come away with that she acknowledges Patrick's skating skills and transition and how that might have influenced the judges despite his mistakes.
    His scores have been heavily criticized for the whole season not in media/boards only, but also by some professional judges, coaches and competitive skaters. And the reason why they criticized it was exactly because they didn't understand why transition should automatically influence all aspects of PCS, including PR and IN, and as the result they didn't accept it. Don't understand=don't accept and vice versa. Here I agree with Chan ubers. The third option sounds like "she is a little pregnant" to me.

I doubt Gallagher had some evil agenda to misinterprete her words for the sake of Chan. Why should he? The poor dude is not even Canadian ! No, I think he published what she said and I am very grateful to him for that. Btw, she wasn't speaking to some professional organzation of foreign sportwriters in Japan. She knew that the inerview will be in media and internet. It means she was speaking to public, and she obviously needed it if she agreed to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    Dai needs to make the move though, he is the guy and our beautiful akiko is his ice princess!
    What happened to Meryl? She let him down ? Oh... Well, Dai is shopping with Mao, babysitting Miki's puppy, attending Akiko's ceremony, fan-ing Meryl and occasionaly wearing pinkish underwear completely confusing those who don't know that color symbols around the world are not the same as in their homeland. Go figure what this dude is about . One thing is for sure- he is quite good at trolling folks around about his personal life . Nothing wrong with that, btw I think. But one day he will tell us the truth, won't he?

skating philosopher
    I doubt Gallagher had some evil agenda to misinterprete her words for the sake of Chan. Why should he? The poor dude is not even Canadian ! No, I think he published what she said and I am very grateful to him for that. Btw, she wasn't speaking to some professional organzation of foreign sportwriters in Japan. She knew that the inerview will be in media and internet. It means she was speaking to public, and she obviously needed it if she agreed to come.
    1.) It's in the article that Akiko was speaking at a meeting of the Foreign Sportswriter of Japan:
    "This season my results were good, so I'm obviously very happy," Suzuki said at a meeting of the Foreign Sportswriters Association of Japan in Tokyo.
    I dobut that Akiko made the appearance solely for publicity reasons — although it doesn't hurt! Judging by her interviews I've seen of her and this article herself, Akiko is clearly well-spoken and probably someone a conference of sports journalists would like to speak before them. As to that she knew her speech was in the internet/news, that's also a stretch. Maybe it's different in Japan, but journalists don't always write a news story about every event in their coverage area. Just because you attend an event, doesn't mean it gets media coverage. I suppose that since figure skating is so popular in Japan, it's more a given, but still.

2.) We'll have to agree to disagree. I did not see the interview as a huge coup for Chan whatsoever. If that's what you think, fine. I'd rather talk about the article as a whole! Patrick Chan isn't in the whole article, you know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast