Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Whoa, such bitterness Let's talk. Is that necessary?

I see. So, when chan ubers call the audience names, they are sweet. But when they get a relevant reply, their opponents are bitter.

Yeah, that was necessary once again to see how it "works". :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I see. So, when chan ubers call the audience names, they are sweet. But when they get a relevant reply, their opponents are bitter.

Yeah, that was necessary once again to see how it "works". :laugh:

To accuse Akiko of backstabbing Daisuke because she made some diplomatic comments regarding the judging is a bit much, whether you're a Chan uber or not.

She did say she prefer Dai's programs over Chan's!

As BOP said earlier, she said she understood why the judges gave the score but that doesn't mean she agrees with it 100 percent or that the judges are always right, etc...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Most skaters are very PC when discussing judging results. They are afraid to speak their heart due to backlash. It will be better when IJS is improved/fixed and then it will be less personal. Surely IJS bigwigs heard the boos i Nice and realize why. Guess we will see how the ball rolls.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
she said she understood why the judges gave the score but that doesn't mean she agrees with it 100 percent
Well, it's your way to interprete her words. While some Chan ubers qualified them as the aknowledgement of his high scores by an honest woman, whatever that means. Which interpretation is the rightest one, I'll leave it to you guys to figure that out. Also, let's leave this word game of understanding vs. agreeing. If she understands why zamboni wins, then she agrees with the way how GoP has been manipulated by judges to let him win with multiple falls. There is no other option. Otherwise someone has to disagree with how the system in total has been used and therefore disagree with the results it brought. I somehow doubt that she doesn't know that Dai got hurt in Nice because of the unfair judgement, the one that she claims she understands. Just recently her fans were complaining that she was being ignored by J-media. This interview might not have taken place if Dai didn't promote her. You have to realize that Japan is not NA or Europe. He is one of the top celebrity here. She got noticed by press and in one of the first interview she generously paid him back. Very nice.

On a sidenote keep in mind that Japan Times in English is not widely read by Japanese. 99.9% of them don't read English papers at all, as well as English blogs/forums. Today I showed some of my J-buddies the link and asked what would have been if she had said it in the Japanese language to J-press or on J-TV. They said that many people would 感じる (kanjiru, ~"feel") that she was thinking about points in Sochi, and added that such attitude to a fellow team member is not common in Japan. I especially liked the usage of kanjiru, i.e. feel naturally inside, with heart, not some brain activities as the English "think" stands for. But I am not Japanese. I can afford not kanjiru only but also to vocalize my opinion. I would have had a tiny hope that her words had been somehow misinterpreted in translation from Japanese into English. But Jack Gallagher, a California dude by origin, has been a sport journalist in Japan for more than 10 years.
Most skaters are very PC when discussing judging results. They are afraid to speak their heart due to backlash.
You are probably right about "most". That's why it's so reassuring to see when someone have balls to speak out and are not afraid of backlash. Plush, Verner come to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, it's your way to interprete her words. While some Chan ubers qualified them as the aknowledgement of his high scores by an honest woman, whatever that means. Which interpretation is the rightest one, I'll leave it to you guys to figure that out. Also, let's leave this word game of understanding vs. agreeing. If she understands why zamboni wins, then she agrees with the way how GoP has been manipulated by judges to let him win with multiple falls. There is no other option. Otherwise someone has to disagree with how the system in total has been used and therefore disagree with the results it brought. I somehow doubt that she doesn't know that Dai got hurt in Nice because of the unfair judgement, the one that she claims she understands. Just recently her fans were complaining that she was being ignored by J-media. This interview might not have taken place if Dai didn't promote her. You have to realize that Japan is not NA or Europe. He is one of the top celebrity here. She got noticed by press and in one of the first interview she generously paid him back. Very nice.

On a sidenote keep in mind that Japan Times in English is not widely read by Japanese. 99.9% of them don't read English papers at all, as well as English blogs/forums. Today I showed some of my J-buddies the link and asked what would have been if she had said it in the Japanese language to J-press or on J-TV. They said that many people would 感じる (kanjiru, ~"feel") that she was thinking about points in Sochi, and added that such attitude to a fellow team member is not common in Japan. I especially liked the usage of kanjiru, i.e. feel naturally inside, with heart, not some brain activities as the English "think" stands for. But I am not Japanese. I can afford not kanjiru only but also to vocalize my opinion. I would have had a tiny hope that her words had been somehow misinterpreted in translation from Japanese into English. But Jack Gallagher, a California dude by origin, has been a sport journalist in Japan for more than 10 years.

I disagree that understanding = acceptance. Or that she accepts the CoP as it is. Gallagher gives no context in the article to make that implication. The only think I can based things on is what the text says. And I come away with that she acknowledges Patrick's skating skills and transition and how that might have influenced the judges despite his mistakes.

Also, given the audience (foreign sportswriters in Japan) it does not make sense to go into an emotional rant of wuzrobbing or hating on the CoP. Akiko was tasked to give the members views of the sport. When I speak to professional organizations, I will often explain certain points about something or explain why something is, but sometimes I don't agree with that view point, but for the sake of context, I will leave my personal views out of it and just explain what is out there.

And as another poster pointed out, if anyone was a vicitm of CoP, it's her — she's been lowballed on PCS for so many years despite skating fantastic programs. But I'm glad that Akiko is classier than that and just worked hard to get to where she is.

Finally Akiko was INVITED to speak to this group, which prompted Gallagher's story. Unless we find out that Daisuke was somehow responsible for the invite, it is uncalled for to say that Akiko owed Daisuke a favor. And again, she said she preferred his programs, so I don't get the fuss.

deedee1

Record Breaker
As for Akiko's true feeling, she can always tell it directly to Daisuke, if she wants to. ;)
She does not need Gallagher's usual 'fishy' stories or 'smoky' speculations :p...and fan's barren controversy, of course. :biggrin:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
As for Akiko's true feeling, she can always tell it directly to Daisuke, if she wants to. ;)
She does not need Gallagher's usual 'fishy' stories or 'smoky' speculations :p...and fan's barren controversy, of course. :biggrin:

:thumbsup:

christinaskater

Medalist
I think they inspire each other :)
I think Daisuke has a crush on Akiko and vice versa.
Dai needs to make the move though, he is the guy and our beautiful akiko is his ice princess!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
And I come away with that she acknowledges Patrick's skating skills and transition and how that might have influenced the judges despite his mistakes.
His scores have been heavily criticized for the whole season not in media/boards only, but also by some professional judges, coaches and competitive skaters. And the reason why they criticized it was exactly because they didn't understand why transition should automatically influence all aspects of PCS, including PR and IN, and as the result they didn't accept it. Don't understand=don't accept and vice versa. Here I agree with Chan ubers. The third option sounds like "she is a little pregnant" to me.

I doubt Gallagher had some evil agenda to misinterprete her words for the sake of Chan. Why should he? The poor dude is not even Canadian :laugh:! No, I think he published what she said and I am very grateful to him for that. Btw, she wasn't speaking to some professional organzation of foreign sportwriters in Japan. She knew that the inerview will be in media and internet. It means she was speaking to public, and she obviously needed it if she agreed to come.
Dai needs to make the move though, he is the guy and our beautiful akiko is his ice princess!
What happened to Meryl? She let him down ;) ? Oh... Well, Dai is shopping with Mao, babysitting Miki's puppy, attending Akiko's ceremony, fan-ing Meryl and occasionaly wearing pinkish underwear completely confusing those who don't know that color symbols around the world are not the same as in their homeland. Go figure what this dude is about :confused:. One thing is for sure- he is quite good at trolling folks around about his personal life :thumbsup:. Nothing wrong with that, btw I think. But one day he will tell us the truth, won't he? :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I doubt Gallagher had some evil agenda to misinterprete her words for the sake of Chan. Why should he? The poor dude is not even Canadian :laugh:! No, I think he published what she said and I am very grateful to him for that. Btw, she wasn't speaking to some professional organzation of foreign sportwriters in Japan. She knew that the inerview will be in media and internet. It means she was speaking to public, and she obviously needed it if she agreed to come.

1.) It's in the article that Akiko was speaking at a meeting of the Foreign Sportswriter of Japan:
"This season my results were good, so I'm obviously very happy," Suzuki said at a meeting of the Foreign Sportswriters Association of Japan in Tokyo.

I dobut that Akiko made the appearance solely for publicity reasons — although it doesn't hurt! Judging by her interviews I've seen of her and this article herself, Akiko is clearly well-spoken and probably someone a conference of sports journalists would like to speak before them. As to that she knew her speech was in the internet/news, that's also a stretch. Maybe it's different in Japan, but journalists don't always write a news story about every event in their coverage area. Just because you attend an event, doesn't mean it gets media coverage. I suppose that since figure skating is so popular in Japan, it's more a given, but still.

2.) We'll have to agree to disagree. I did not see the interview as a huge coup for Chan whatsoever. If that's what you think, fine. I'd rather talk about the article as a whole! Patrick Chan isn't in the whole article, you know.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
It must be so hurt to some Takahashi fans to hear some skaters even just voice on understanding the scoring and gave a balanced and yet in favor of Takahashi assessment to Takahashi and his rival. I think the suggestion of Akiko didn't speak from her heart but rather it was a calculated effort was like an insult to her.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
As to that she knew her speech was in the internet/news, that's also a stretch. Maybe it's different in Japan, but journalists don't always write a news story about every event in their coverage area. Just because you attend an event, doesn't mean it gets media coverage.
It's not a stretch. Every time when an athlete talks to press he/she should realize that any word of what he/she says might go to news stories/internet. That is what the whole point of talking to press is about.
It must be so hurt to some Takahashi fans to hear some skaters even just voice on understanding the scoring
I doubt it hurts anyone at all, either Dai fans or any other skater fans. I am sure Chan is the one who understands the scoring system. So why would for exmaple his voicing on understanding should be an issue. The system itself has been widely critisized as you well now and he finally lost. I agree it was hurtful to some Chan fans, but my dear, the result was fair. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I doubt it hurts anyone at all, either Dai fans or any other skater fans. I am sure Chan is the one who understands the scoring system. So why would for exmaple his voicing on understanding should be an issue. The system itself has been widely critisized as you well now and he finally lost. I agree it was hurtful to some Chan fans, but my dear, the result was fair. :)

I was stupid enough to believe that you understood that I was talking about Suzuki's voicing her understanding on the scoring regarding to the worlds of this year and the competitions in general which Chan and Takahashi both attended.

What result was fair? The WTT? Sure. When Takahashi was at his best and Chan wasn't all there, yes, Chan was rightfully lost. No dispute what so ever. Chan is two time world champion. It doesn't hurt at all.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's not a stretch. Every time when an athlete talks to press he/she should realize that any word of what he/she says might go to news stories/internet. That is what the whole point of talking to press is about.

Yes, of course that everything she says COULD end up in publication. I guess what I meant as to what is a stretch is that she came in with some sort of agenda against Daisuke/ for Patrick. Or that she was sucking up to judges (who as far as I know wasn't at that conference!) The topic came up and she answered the question. It's really that simple.

She has never struck me as one to politik in public and it makes no sense to me that she would suddenly do so in this recent appearance.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I guess what I meant as to what is a stretch is that she came in with some sort of agenda against Daisuke/ for Patrick.
In your original post that I was quoting and replying to the "also a stretch" was referring to the fact that she knew that her speech was in the internet/news.
The WTT? Sure. When Takahashi was at his best
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y40SkQU51s Dai's skating in Tokyo was not so much different than in Nice, unlike his score. And yeah, Dai is an Olympic bronze medalist and a World champion. I agree it doesn't hurt at all.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y40SkQU51s Dai's skating in Tokyo was not so much different than in Nice, unlike his score. And yeah, Dai is an Olympic bronze medalist and a World champion. I agree it doesn't hurt at all.

And you took that half-cheesy WTT's scores so seriously.:laugh: Good, you're not hurt and I'm not hurt. Everybody got what they wanted. Where the outrage on Akiko who seems a level headed sweet person came from then?

Last edited:
Back to Akiko: has she ever performed abroad in any shows or other exhibitions? (I mean, any not connected to a competition, obviously.) I can't offhand recall.

Also, is she aware of the level of her international popularity? I sure hope so. She deserves to know how happy she makes so many skating fans.