Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki aiming higher following best season of career

Custom Title
    It must be so hurt to some Takahashi fans to hear some skaters even just voice on understanding the scoring and gave a balanced and yet in favor of Takahashi assessment to Takahashi and his rival. I think the suggestion of Akiko didn't speak from her heart but rather it was a calculated effort was like an insult to her.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    As to that she knew her speech was in the internet/news, that's also a stretch. Maybe it's different in Japan, but journalists don't always write a news story about every event in their coverage area. Just because you attend an event, doesn't mean it gets media coverage.
    It's not a stretch. Every time when an athlete talks to press he/she should realize that any word of what he/she says might go to news stories/internet. That is what the whole point of talking to press is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    It must be so hurt to some Takahashi fans to hear some skaters even just voice on understanding the scoring
    I doubt it hurts anyone at all, either Dai fans or any other skater fans. I am sure Chan is the one who understands the scoring system. So why would for exmaple his voicing on understanding should be an issue. The system itself has been widely critisized as you well now and he finally lost. I agree it was hurtful to some Chan fans, but my dear, the result was fair.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I doubt it hurts anyone at all, either Dai fans or any other skater fans. I am sure Chan is the one who understands the scoring system. So why would for exmaple his voicing on understanding should be an issue. The system itself has been widely critisized as you well now and he finally lost. I agree it was hurtful to some Chan fans, but my dear, the result was fair.
    I was stupid enough to believe that you understood that I was talking about Suzuki's voicing her understanding on the scoring regarding to the worlds of this year and the competitions in general which Chan and Takahashi both attended.

What result was fair? The WTT? Sure. When Takahashi was at his best and Chan wasn't all there, yes, Chan was rightfully lost. No dispute what so ever. Chan is two time world champion. It doesn't hurt at all.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-21-2012 at 01:11 PM.

skating philosopher
    It's not a stretch. Every time when an athlete talks to press he/she should realize that any word of what he/she says might go to news stories/internet. That is what the whole point of talking to press is about.
    Yes, of course that everything she says COULD end up in publication. I guess what I meant as to what is a stretch is that she came in with some sort of agenda against Daisuke/ for Patrick. Or that she was sucking up to judges (who as far as I know wasn't at that conference!) The topic came up and she answered the question. It's really that simple.

She has never struck me as one to politik in public and it makes no sense to me that she would suddenly do so in this recent appearance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I guess what I meant as to what is a stretch is that she came in with some sort of agenda against Daisuke/ for Patrick.
    In your original post that I was quoting and replying to the "also a stretch" was referring to the fact that she knew that her speech was in the internet/news.
    The WTT? Sure. When Takahashi was at his best
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y40SkQU51s Dai's skating in Tokyo was not so much different than in Nice, unlike his score. And yeah, Dai is an Olympic bronze medalist and a World champion. I agree it doesn't hurt at all.

Custom Title
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y40SkQU51s Dai's skating in Tokyo was not so much different than in Nice, unlike his score. And yeah, Dai is an Olympic bronze medalist and a World champion. I agree it doesn't hurt at all.
    And you took that half-cheesy WTT's scores so seriously. Good, you're not hurt and I'm not hurt. Everybody got what they wanted. Where the outrage on Akiko who seems a level headed sweet person came from then?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-21-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Banned
    And you took that half-cheesy WTT's scores so seriously.
    It's getting old. You Chan people should come up with something new than keep calling WTT as some not serious event. You wouldn't do that if Patrick had won.

Custom Title
    It's getting old. You Chan people should come up with something new than keep calling WTT as some not serious event. You wouldn't do that if Patrick had won.
    Unless WTT won't be mentioned again, it was what it was, new or old.

Can you guys take this to PM please?

Custom Title
    Back to Akiko: has she ever performed abroad in any shows or other exhibitions? (I mean, any not connected to a competition, obviously.) I can't offhand recall.

Also, is she aware of the level of her international popularity? I sure hope so. She deserves to know how happy she makes so many skating fans.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Back to Akiko: has she ever performed abroad in any shows or other exhibitions? (I mean, any not connected to a competition, obviously.) I can't offhand recall.

Also, is she aware of the level of her international popularity? I sure hope so. She deserves to know how happy she makes so many skating fans.
    I think so!

I remember in 2010, she tweeted a letter she received from one of the stars of West Side Story. I remember thinking, "how cool!" and then "she deserved it" because she skated to that music so well!

Custom Title
    No kidding? That's impressive. I wonder if it was George Chakiris. I had such a huge crush on him in the movie. He was a dancer and did a tremendous job as Bernardo. Whichever star it was, that was a lovely and considerate gesture.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    No kidding? That's impressive. I wonder if it was George Chakiris. I had such a huge crush on him in the movie. He was a dancer and did a tremendous job as Bernardo. Whichever star it was, that was a lovely and considerate gesture.
    It was from George Chakiris! Per this article (http://www.haaba.com/news/2010/02/19...winners-praise), which was published right before she competed at the Olympics:

Japanese figure skater Akiko Suzuki revealed her delight Friday at receiving a letter from Academy Award-winning actor George Chakiris praising her on her free skate to West Side Story.

Chakiris won the Best Supporting Actor award for his role of Bernardo in the 1961 movie version of West Side Story.

And Suzuki will be portraying Maria in her free skate on February 25.

"When I trained with Shae-Lynn Bourne in Toronto she recommended I skate to West Side Story," she explained.

"I reminded her of the character of Maria, because it's similar to my own personal character - emotional with strong mind and strong heart.

"George Chakiris sent me a letter thanking me for using West Side Story and he wished me all the best at the Olympic Games.

"He said he's looking forward to my performance."

Aw, that's wonderful! Thanks for the link to the article, Mrs. P. I'd never read about George Chakiris praising her LP to West Side Story!

I loved Akiko's West Side Story! She really captured the character and music of that era. Thanks for the article.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 05-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast