Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadian figure skating is on the "mend" says Kurt Browning

Custom Title

Canadian figure skating is on the "mend" says Kurt Browning

Short new article featuring Kurt Browning. It reads:-

"I believe [Canadian skating] is on the mend and the sport is getting some traction again," said former fourtime world champion Kurt Browning......."A highlight has been Tessa [Virtue] and Scott [Moir] reclaiming the world ice-dance crown and we celebrate that in each town we visit."
    Canadian skating is certainly on the rise with Virtue & Moir and Chan winning gold at the recent world championships, although they will each have a fight on their hands to win the gold medal at the Olympics against Davis & White and Takahashi respectively. Duhamel & Radford have potential. Nevertheless, Canadian ladies skating is in the doldrums. Time to persuade Joannie to return to competitive skating
    Last edited by Mao88; 05-16-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Custom Title
    It isn't Joannie's fault that no lady has stepped up to the challenge to take her place, and it's a little unfair of Skate Canada to put pressure on her to return when she isn't entirely sure that's what she wants to do.

Joannie will be 28 in 2014. She is the PAST of Canadian skating, and her returning for Sochi (IF she does) will do nothing to improve the level of Ladies skating in Canada. Skate Canada needs to look ahead to 2018 and search hard for talent to be developed. And spend the $$ necessary to ensure that development.

Custom Title
    ^^^^ From where have you found that Skate Canada is pressuring Joannie to return? I have only read such wishes from some fans while lamenting the dearth of competitive Canadian Ladies.

Custom Title
    I agree with Chuckm. If Skate Canada wants Joannie involved it should be at seminars, team leader, etc and not as a competitor. She will be 28 for Sochi. Canada needs to look at the next 6 years as development and have someone ready for 2018.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    New tweet overnight from @JoannieRochette in response to fan's wish for her to compete again:

K. Wood ‏@Ordinary_Que
    @JoannieRochette awesome show tonight! You look so fit - please come back & compete!

Joannie Rochette ‏@JoannieRochette
    @Ordinary_Que Haha thanks, oh the door's not closed!
    12:55 AM - 17 May 12 via Twitter for iPhone

Custom Title
    Joannie has been saying that since Vancouver, but she hasn't outright said she would compete in Sochi. That shows some ambivalence on her part, and it is no wonder, because she clearly enjoys doing shows and tours and all the other opportunities she's had while being away from competition.

I read recently that she met with Skate Canada officials to discuss Sochi, so I do think that some pressure is being applied to have her compete again.

She'd have to train intensively for many months to prepare for competition, and at her age there is an increased risk of injury, which could in turn disrupt her professional skating. It's no wonder she isn't 100% committed to the idea.

Custom Title
    Joannie has expressed interest in the Team Event immediately but has not made any decision or commitment. The problem is, as it is eventually decreed by the ISU, she can't just compete for the Team but has to be an individual competitor as well which seems to be not as appealing to her since she has enjoyed her show career so much.

As I wrote in another thread, a discipline is clearly in trouble when many place their hope in the comeback of an older skater, such as the case in Canadian Ladies and Russian Men. It's probably alright as a stop gap measure as long as the focus is on the development of future talents.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    ^^^^ From where have you found that Skate Canada is pressuring Joannie to return? I have only read such wishes from some fans while lamenting the dearth of competitive Canadian Ladies.
    I saw the news that SC arranged (or will arrange?) a conference during CSOI tours to discuss the possibility of her coming back and are supposed to take a look at leverage/strategy/variables for her comeback so that she's fully aware of her options. This I read from FSU.

Custom Title
    It's not just that Rochette is a big skating star she is a big sports star and her general fame could help support the sport more than the skating based success of VM or Chan or a pairs team. Rochette has a bronze medal from the Olympics and general fame! But that should not produce pressure for her as she had to deal with enormous pressure and stress and drama already.

Custom Title
    Part of the temptation for Joannie is to have a normal Olympic experience. However, for her, if she does enter the next Olympics, the normal will not be exactly normal, if there is such a thing.

Custom Title
    Yes, that's the rub: If Joannie could do JUST the team event, I think she might commit to that. But she would have to do TWO intense competitions, back to back, and that's a lot to ask of a 28-year-old skater who's been away from competitive skating for four years.

Custom Title
    THere is no question in my mind that if Joannie wants it she can come back and compete especially against a weak Canadian field. How competitive she will be on the world scene is another issue but she needs to give it 100% if she wants to compete. My undersanding it would be a yes if it weren't for the fat she would have to skate both competitions. I hope she does it for herself and her own piece of mind. Remember Maria Butyrskaya was still fairly competitive in her late 20's; she even won a WGM. Financially wise show skating is not nearly so lucrative anyways.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Remember Maria Butyrskaya was still fairly competitive in her late 20's; she even won a WGM. Financially wise show skating is not nearly so lucrative anyways.
    As proven by this year's world champion and world bronze medalist in ladies, age is just a number.

Custom Title
    Age is just a number, but there are several differences among the ladies mentioned.

Butyrskaya was 26 when she won her 1999 World Championship, but she had been competing as a senior for 10 consecutive years leading up to that win. She slipped to 3rd in 2000 and to 4th in 2001, at 28, and withdrew from Worlds 2002, at 29, after having finished 6th at the 2002 Olympics.

Suzuki won her first World medal this season, at 27. She has been competing internationally at the Senior level for 7 years. She has won two GPF medals, in the 2009-2010 season, and this season.

The major difference between these two women and Joannie Rochette is that their wins capped many long seasons of full competition. Joannie has been away from competitive skating for four years; her performances at the Japan Open, more of a cheesefest than a top-level competition, don't equate to a full competitive season.

There is no doubt that Rochette could win the Canadian championship over the current crop of Canadian ladies. The question is whether she wants to commit to performing four competitive programs within a two-week period. It's a lot to ask of a 28-year-old woman who's enjoying her professional skating career.

Custom Title
    Joannie has a great chance of getting an Olympic gold (in team) if she were to make a comeback. I'm interested in hearing her decision because the team event really is a game changer, allowing someone to achieve the pinnacle of their sport without doing it alone. Sure it's not an individual gold, but look how happy tennis player Roger Federer was when he won his doubles gold. It would be a huge achievement for Joannie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast