Canadian figure skating is on the "mend" says Kurt Browning | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian figure skating is on the "mend" says Kurt Browning

heyhey

On the Ice
Several days ago in a different thread, I had posted a brief quote from Skate Canada's Facebook page about the following funding, but it also seems relevant here:

Per The Londoner, Wed May 23 (emphases added):
Skate Canada got a $1.5 million boost from the Ontario government today to help organize the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships at the John Labatt Centre in London.
“What an exiting event this is going to be,” said London West MPP, Chris Bentley at a press conference. “ I know how important it is to our community, I know how important it is to the province and I know how important it is to the skaters.”
The funding will help Skate Canada organize the almost $12-million championships.
While the exact use of the provincial funding remains undecided, Skate Canada head honcho William Thompson said it will be put towards organizing Worlds-related activities in the community as well as some legacy projects.
“(The funding) allows us to do more things outside the arena and in the community,” he said. “We want to …have a festival outside the arena with activities for families and kids so they can come down and enjoy the event.”
Thompson said most Skate Canada competitors come from the Windsor – Ottawa corridor. He hopes the event at the JLC next year will help inspire and attract more athletes to the sport. “Young people will watch this event and will be excited by it,” he said. “[It is the legacy] you can’t measure in Dollars.”

Thanks for the info golden411 - Although Ontario's provincial government has put in funding for World's next year - Thompson and Company at Skate Canada have yet to attract a major corporate sponsor after BMO etc left. Presently, i am not thrilled with Skate Canada's management. If SOI Canada with Kurt Browning was able to have some corporate sponsors such as Westjet airlines, Investors group - Lindt chocolate why can't Skate Canada attract at least one major sponsor with skaters like Patrick Chan and Virtue/Moir. It's a little depressing and embarassing to see no advertising banners at Skate Canada events...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And just for the record, Canada DOES not have the same kinds of problems as the US. Health care is NOT rationed.

Tell that to Canadian women who are diagnosed with breast cancer. Yes, they get the surgery right away, but if their cancer requires radiation and/or chemo, they are put on a waiting list. Those who can afford it go to the US for followup treatment; the others can only hope their cancer won't spread as they wait.

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Tell that to Canadian women who are diagnosed with breast cancer. Yes, they get the surgery right away, but if their cancer requires radiation and/or chemo, they are put on a waiting list. Those who can afford it go to the US for followup treatment; the others can only hope their cancer won't spread as they wait.

Apologies in advance for the OT comment, but I can say with absolute certainty that women in my province are not waiting for chemotherapy or radiation. There is a set protocol for the treatment of breast cancer that is followed seamlessly.

Back on topic, I was very sad to see BMO leave. Their sponsorship will be difficult to replace (obviously).

SGrand

Final Flight
Apologies in advance for the OT comment, but I can say with absolute certainty that women in my province are not waiting for chemotherapy or radiation. There is a set protocol for the treatment of breast cancer that is followed seamlessly.

Back on topic, I was very sad to see BMO leave. Their sponsorship will be difficult to replace (obviously).

Sorry to be OT as well, but there are protocols here, at least in Ontario, where once diagnosed, there is a window of time where surgery, chemo and rads must be performed. Although you do have to be your own advocate, our system works, for BC anyway, and a lot of hospitals have programs to help patients out with the cost of extra medications that accompany chemo etc. and can add up.
Sorry about that. :)