Who is going? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who is going?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
LTL, I believe these seats are padded, No? I will check.
Here are the camera policies from the offal web site.
*Can I bring my camera and take pictures during the event?

Spectators are permitted to use cameras at the event for personal use only. The following are not permitted at 2012 Skate America:
■No flash photography
■No type of transmitter mechanism for the purpose of using a flash or strobes
■Camera cannot interfere with other fans’ enjoyment
■Any resale of photography or posting photos on websites is strictly prohibited.
■Absolutely no video recording is allowed. Only accredited coaches and team managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from rinkside during that skater’s/team’s practice or performance.

Spectators not abiding by these restrictions risk having their camera confiscated by venue security staff.

I emailed the center about the seats but found this on the web...
The City Operations Committee voted 2-1 Tuesday to recommend the Council approve the extra funds for the arena. The Council will consider the proposal at its next regular meeting, July 15. The Operations Committee consists of Council members Debbie Raplee, Les Thomas and Tim Clark. Clark voted against the proposal because of its potential impact on the city’s general fund.

Most of the project funds to build the arena will come from the city issuing bonds that would be paid back over the next 30 years from fees collected from events and activities at the facility.

An estimated $400,000 in additional revenue will be brought in each year due to the new features. Those features include better lighting, a scoreboard, and padded seats in the general-admission area. Every $100,000 translates into $1 million in bonding capacity, which creates the additional $4 million in revenue that the city could use toward the project, said Ben Wolters, city economic development director.

The remaining $1.9 million of the extra costs will be funded through the capital improvements budget at a cost of about $180,000 per year.

“With the additional revenue, we’re confident the city can afford this,” Wolters said.

Last edited:

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
Here are the camera policies from the offal web site.....
.... padded seats in the general-admission area....

Wow, thanks CC! My sore butt rejoices! ;-) Mr. LTL does not think about such things as he, ummmm, has a little more padding there.....
Hopefully I'll be able to make it. I'll know more about my schedule come Monday.

KKonas

Medalist
I'm just a skating fan watcher -- I've never skated, though I think it might be fun to try! Also I live in Central Washington -- though I'm in Seattle a lot for various reasons.

Thanks for the detailed schedule, Chris! It looks like there's a huge gap between the practice sessions and the first competition schedule on Friday -- so maybe, as Moonlightskater said, maybe we can meet inside the front entrance at let's say 5 p.m. and take it from there? Saturday and Sunday looked packed, with practices/warmup/competition all day. So I think Friday might be best to organize something formal.

ETA: This is my first live skating event, so please bear with my lack of knowledge of how it all works!

ETA 2: I also would be open to some less spontaneous as well if Friday doesn't work for any of you -- I just want to meet the people I've been chatting with all these years!

If you all are going to meet at the front entrance of the arena at 5pm on Friday, I will try to come up from the press room to meet you. I don't own anything orange, but if you are all in orange I can probably find you.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If you all are going to meet at the front entrance of the arena at 5pm on Friday, I will try to come up from the press room to meet you. I don't own anything orange, but if you are all in orange I can probably find you.

That sounds great -- I look forward to meeting you, even if only briefly. I plan to wear my orange sweat shirt it says "Sun City Half Marathon + 5k" on it. Also I'm an Asian girl with dark hair and black framed glasses, so that should help!

So see you all at 5 p.m. Friday for a brief meet up or per-competition dinner or whatever the mood strikes. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow, thanks CC! My sore butt rejoices! ;-) Mr. LTL does not think about such things as he, ummmm, has a little more padding there.....
Hopefully I'll be able to make it. I'll know more about my schedule come Monday.
Wellllll...guess what? They ended up not spending the money for real seats, so bring your but pads.....here is the answer I recieved just today....quote...
"In Club Sections 114, 115 & 116, yes. All other seats are individual bucket seats (not bleachers or benches) of contoured plastic.... "
End quote. Thanks for asking, LTL....guess I bring my pads.......

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That sounds great -- I look forward to meeting you, even if only briefly. I plan to wear my orange sweat shirt it says "Sun City Half Marathon + 5k" on it. Also I'm an Asian girl with dark hair and black framed glasses, so that should help!

So see you all at 5 p.m. Friday for a brief meet up or per-competition dinner or whatever the mood strikes. :)

OK, thank you, Mrs. P. That will update us to as follows:

CoyoteChris from Spokane Tall, thin and handsome. retired. Extreamely late 50s. Knows nothing about skating after 12 major events but likes beautiful women. Cant spell words or remember names. Be kind and not offended.

Kkonas

DorisPulaski (+1) From right coast, Highly intellegent. Just retired. Likes sailing, cooking and painting.

Mrs. P (+1) Another WA person, does have orange shirt or hat. Asian lady with black framed glasses

PaulE Short balding man with beard. Retired. Fast walker. Excellent conversationalist. From WA. Has beautiful wife who speaks English. Only person with real GS hat

Moonlighter (+1) Actually skates and has a pink Jacket, 30ish lady. With Mom.

BTW, Mrs. P, you will probably see lots of asian extraction ladies at events like this. Many do come from WA but many come over from Japan. Skating is still big there.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
BTW, Mrs. P, you will probably see lots of asian extraction ladies at events like this. Many do come from WA but many come over from Japan. Skating is still big there.

That's true. Does Kozuka and Hanyu (and Macidea for that matter) have the aunties who go to all the competitions that Dai does?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Don't know (I know nothing about skatin'....I play a fan on TV is all) but I will tell you that I have never been to a SA or 4 Conts where the Japanese media didnt have a large presence. But it will vary on the importants of the stars from Japan at the events like SA and 4Conts. If two certain ladies from Japan were there along with a certain Gentleman, half the seats would be taken by Japanese fans and media. If a certain lady from Korea were there, all the seats would be taken by Koreans during the ladies short and long. Paul, remember when we were at SA Lake Placid when Yu-Na showed up?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
If some lady wanted to use my very comfy blow up matt to stay an hour from Boston-clean comfy apt but I cant commit far ahead, youd be welcome here. If someone would drive we could rent a car- I have a manual wheelchair. If I am at all able to help a Gser see nats. I should have gone in 2001, if I am still alive, I will go. If someone needs clean place to stay, my apt may help, but it's way off. I hope I'll be here with you still. May God bless us all. I have no skating freinds.

A world network would be great to build for those who can travel the distances. $178 is very cheap for Bos area BTW. I could accomodate a couple. It would be a long term goal for me-maybe too long term but a dream to see Nationals. SA in seattle-way too far to go without helper. Should be awesome to meet board folk. I envy you. What were the airfares like Doris? Do you go with a USFS bonking or do your own travel arrangements?

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm game to be by the front entrance between 4:30 and 5:00 PM on Friday. I will be at the arena during all the practices and competitions starting on Thursday. Everyone has been giving a description of themselves so I will just add that the description Chris gave for me is pretty accurate, however I did not think that I was short (I made it to 5 foot 9 inches before I started shrinking). Of course Chris is so tall that he looks down on most everybody (I mean that literally, not figuratively!).

I am not sure about wearing my orange short-sleeve T-shirt in a cold arena so I will either have on a yellow fleece jacket or an orange rain shell. I will also be wearing a yellow-gold ball cap with Golden Skate written on it in blue. If anyone recognizes me at any time, please come up and introduce yourself. (Doris, I hope you got the PM that I sent you.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm game to be by the front entrance between 4:30 and 5:00 PM on Friday. I will be at the arena during all the practices and competitions starting on Thursday. Everyone has been giving a description of themselves so I will just add that the description Chris gave for me is pretty accurate, however I did not think that I was short (I made it to 5 foot 9 inches before I started shrinking). Of course Chris is so tall that he looks down on most everybody (I mean that literally, not figuratively!).

I am not sure about wearing my orange short-sleeve T-shirt in a cold arena so I will either have on a yellow fleece jacket or an orange rain shell. I will also be wearing a yellow-gold ball cap with Golden Skate written on it in blue. If anyone recognizes me at any time, please come up and introduce yourself. (Doris, I hope you got the PM that I sent you.)
I have a nice orange fleece vest for you, buddy. Or if you like, an orange fleece hoody with a zippered front. We buy orange t-shirts way oversized so we can wear them over our normal shirts.....I can bring you one of those too to borrow. I am just worried that Rusty Cap will come over and interview us during breaks and put us on camera! I am bringing a felt tip pen magic marker to see if I can get any of my favorite skaters to sign my shirt....I am hoping by nationals, we can have 20 GSers wearing orange T-shirts...wouldnt that look good in the crowd shots! I wonder is Ben Agosto will show up since he lives so close?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
but they don't know it's GOLDEN SKATE! represent!

:laugh: I'm just givin' ya a hard time.

We need "official" gear

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If we were to offer "official" gear, which would you folks prefer:

Ball cap
Hoodie
T-Shirt
Seat cushion
Pin
Stadium blanket
Mug
Water bottle
Something else?

I'll try to make it at the front entrance Friday, and yes, I hope you got my reply.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
All of you going are lucky ducks, I hate to miss the meetup! Do we have any hints yet of where SA will be next year, or when it might return to the east coast?

Have a great time (I know you will)!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would say if we want to recognize each other on TV as well as at the event, a large t-shirt that can be worn over normal clothes is probably the best. Hats are OK too.
The problem with gold is that it kind of blends in with the mass of colors of what others wear. Now an international orange t-shirt with a big golden skate blade on it...thats
the ticket!
Rallycairn, we shall drink a toast to you and all the other GSers that cant make it as we partake of way too much good food and beverage at the fine restaurants....
I leave tomarrow from Spokane to the left coast. Look for me in row 3 sec 117 wearing orange on TV.