Who is going? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is going?

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I assume that Chris made up the bit about a Golden Skate cap, but it sounded interesting so I had one made up by lids.com. It doesn't look as good in reality as it did in the design picture on the website though. You can check it out in Kent. I'm certainly game for a meetup in Kent. I will be sitting in the end zone in Section 119, Row 7, Seat 10 and I plan to be there Thursday morning for the practice. Look for the gold colored ball cap with Paul E on the front.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in the past for meet ups we would just wear something yellow or another color so we could spot each other in the meetup spot... I'm jealous you guys have fun and we want reports if you do meet up!

sillylionlove

Medalist
Wish I was going! Skating hasn't been the same since my partner in crime and travel buddy and picture taker (my mom) passed away. Have a great time guys and we expect some great reports and updates!

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Here's what I got so far:

CoyoteChris
KKonas
DorisPulaski (+1)
Mrs. P (+1)
PaulE

Would anyone be up to maybe meeting up for a meal before/between/after the sessions? The stadium is close to Kent Station, which has quite a few restaurants.

And where exactly do you get this Golden Skate cap?

You can add one MoonlightSkater to that list! After weeks of deliberation and budgeting, I've decided that I owe it to my sanity to take a vacation and make the flight back home to watch the skating (I moved to the midwest a few years ago).

My mom and I have tickets for section 113, I believe, and we'll be there for many of the practice sessions, though not all. I plan on going to a couple of public skate sessions at Sprinker Ice Arena in Lakewood on Thurs. before going over to Kent to watch the elites practice (10:30-12:00 normal public session and 12:15-1:15 adult (30+) public session if any of you want to join me skating on some of the nicest figure skating ice you'll ever find- I'll probably show up about halfway through the first of those sessions). I don't have a Golden Skate hat (we have hats?) but I'll try to wear my pink Skate America jacket that I got at the Everett Skate America on Thursday to make myself find-able. I'm up for a lunch or dinner get-together, as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay some ideas for a meet up.

** Meet before the first competition session at 7 p.m. Friday. We can meet at 5 p.m. at one of the restaurants in Kent Station (http://www.kentstation.com/Dine/Dining.asp), which is next to the rink.

** Meet after the last competition session on Sunday before the Skating Spectacular -- same deal -- a meal at Kent Station.

We can also opp for a coffee meet up during the afternoons between sessions. Saturday will be tough for me to do much because I'm actually going to try to go to a friend's wedding reception in between sessions that day.

Thoughts?

KKonas

Medalist
I would like to meet all of you, but I am working this event and rarely have time for a getaway once the competition starts. Have fun.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Okay some ideas for a meet up.

** Meet before the first competition session at 7 p.m. Friday. We can meet at 5 p.m. at one of the restaurants in Kent Station (http://www.kentstation.com/Dine/Dining.asp), which is next to the rink.

** Meet after the last competition session on Sunday before the Skating Spectacular -- same deal -- a meal at Kent Station.

We can also opp for a coffee meet up during the afternoons between sessions. Saturday will be tough for me to do much because I'm actually going to try to go to a friend's wedding reception in between sessions that day.

Thoughts?

Both times would work for me. It might be nice to meet up before the competition starts so we know who we are ahead of time!

It looks like Kent has gotten some much better food options since the arena opened up.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would like to meet all of you, but I am working this event and rarely have time for a getaway once the competition starts. Have fun.

That's too bad! Are you covering the event as media?

Both times would work for me. It might be nice to meet up before the competition starts so we know who we are ahead of time!

It looks like Kent has gotten some much better food options since the arena opened up.

Yes, I think before the competition might be best -- that we we can discuss our predictions and fun stuff like that. :) But later on could work for me as well!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Actually, now that I think about it, it would just be better if we wore orange T-shirts and carried magic markers so that skaters could autograph them.
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/chris.jpg
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/?action=view&current=chris.jpg
Here I am in the back row with both my arms over my head.
If I am not wearing my Orange T-shirt, I will have on an orange ball cap like the guy in the front row has....
Glad you are making it, Paul! My Buddy and I rode our motorcycles through your fair city a month ago but the clouds wouldnt let us see the Olympics.
Here are some pics from that trip.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/One Lap of wa 12/

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK,here is the list and what I know about you....I think half you folks are in the witness protection program.

CoyoteChris from Spokane Tall, thin and handsome. retired. Extreamely late 40s.:yes: Knows nothing about skating after 12 major events but likes beautiful women. Cant spell or remember names.

Kkonas

DorisPulaski (+1) From right coast, Highly intellegent. Just retired. Likes sailing, cooking and painting.

Mrs. P (+1) Another WA person

PaulE Short balding man with beard. Retired. Fast walker. Excellent conversationalist. From WA. Has beautiful wife who speaks English. Only person with real GS hat

Moonlighter Actually skates and has a pink Jacket, so I am going to guess this is a lady.

(Cant promise meals...I have lots of friends I havent seen since nats and 4 Conts who could show up)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ouch, buddy....well, OK...maybe that was a SLIGHT exageration....
Hey, we are gonna have to try three restaurants in the Kent station...
1. The Ram is excellent....
2. Gotta try the chowderhouse
3. Wanna also try the Zepher.....
All these are a short walk from the arena. I think all three sell self medication.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can definitely wear orange too!

So do we want to actually plan a meet up or so we play it by ear? Those restaurants you mention CoyoteChris sound good -- there's a place called Naked Pizza that might be opening there soon that sounds awesome too.

ETA: More about Mrs. P -- I'm in my early 30s, married to a husband who jokes that he loses his wife to figure skating for several months of the year. Been into figure skating on and off since the early 1990s, but really got back to it around 2009.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks Mrs. P. Now you are more of a person and less just a handle! I loose my wife to dog shows and she looses me to skating and anything involving airplanes....you can see what I look like by perusing the thread and looking at the links, and if you see me, say hi . Maybe we do lunch or dinner....maybe we corral up some other members. (I tend to not do pizza places as I like a more formal experience, personally).
After 12 plus events, it is my opinion that any plans made aforehand go out the window. Better to be spontanious. If you look at the detailed schedule,
http://www.2012skateamerica.com/wp-...a-GPUSA2012_ColouredTimeSchedule_12-07-27.pdf
you will see that there are actually times to eat in some cases and on some days. But not others. Depending on what you wish to see. For instance, I might chose to go eat on Saturday during men's warmup at 15:45, but come back in time (or not) for the pairs warm-up. Someone else might wish to stay glued to the ice for both or neither. I have some good friends showing up and I might wish to spend time with them playing catchup and not be in a group situation for that. I hope no one is offended if I do that.
But I do think it would be great to introduce ourselves and if some folk want to do lunch at 11 am on Saturday, before the LS, that would be fine, for instance. Its just that after some "100 hours in a seat" nationals, sometimes I need alittle down time at these events, naping in my car, etc.
One way to get aquainted is that on some days, there might not be time to go out so we can grab some arena food and eat together. Look at Friday and there is no time for lunch, for instance....opps...wife and dogs want to go for a walk...latter

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I'll definately look for people wearing orange t-shirts, though I probably won't sport one myself as orange is a terrible color on me. It makes me look yellow. I'll try to bring that pink jacket.

As for who I am, I am indeed female. I would like to say mid 20-something, but I just had a birthday ending in a 0...... I have dark hair that is very long, so that's another distinguishing feature, but I might have it up in a bun or somesuch for convenience. I started skating in western Washington about seven years ago, but moved to the midwest in spring 2009 and have skated off and on out here since. I wonder if I've ever skated at the same event or rink as Mrs. P. : )

I'll also be a +1 on that list since my mom will be there with me.

I think it would be convenient to set up a possible meeting time and place even if actual plans make that more difficult just so we can all coordinate. Something like Friday at the time Mrs. P mentioned just inside the front entrance to the right hand side of the doors?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'll definately look for people wearing orange t-shirts, though I probably won't sport one myself as orange is a terrible color on me. It makes me look yellow. I'll try to bring that pink jacket.

As for who I am, I am indeed female. I would like to say mid 20-something, but I just had a birthday ending in a 0...... I have dark hair that is very long, so that's another distinguishing feature, but I might have it up in a bun or somesuch for convenience. I started skating in western Washington about seven years ago, but moved to the midwest in spring 2009 and have skated off and on out here since. I wonder if I've ever skated at the same event or rink as Mrs. P. : )

I'll also be a +1 on that list since my mom will be there with me.

I think it would be convenient to set up a possible meeting time and place even if actual plans make that more difficult just so we can all coordinate. Something like Friday at the time Mrs. P mentioned just inside the front entrance to the right hand side of the doors?

I'm just a skating fan watcher -- I've never skated, though I think it might be fun to try! Also I live in Central Washington -- though I'm in Seattle a lot for various reasons.

Thanks for the detailed schedule, Chris! It looks like there's a huge gap between the practice sessions and the first competition schedule on Friday -- so maybe, as Moonlightskater said, maybe we can meet inside the front entrance at let's say 5 p.m. and take it from there? Saturday and Sunday looked packed, with practices/warmup/competition all day. So I think Friday might be best to organize something formal.

ETA: This is my first live skating event, so please bear with my lack of knowledge of how it all works!

ETA 2: I also would be open to some less spontaneous as well if Friday doesn't work for any of you -- I just want to meet the people I've been chatting with all these years!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm just a skating fan watcher -- I've never skated, though I think it might be fun to try! Also I live in Central Washington -- though I'm in Seattle a lot for various reasons.

Thanks for the detailed schedule, Chris! It looks like there's a huge gap between the practice sessions and the first competition schedule on Friday -- so maybe, as Moonlightskater said, maybe we can meet inside the front entrance at let's say 5 p.m. and take it from there? Saturday and Sunday looked packed, with practices/warmup/competition all day. So I think Friday might be best to organize something formal.

ETA: This is my first live skating event, so please bear with my lack of knowledge of how it all works!
You had better take care, Mrs. P. First time I went to a competition (Spokane Skate America 2002) I was hooked, line and sinker. But then in 2004 I retired and I could go to SA, Nats, 4 Conts, LA Worlds 2009, etc and I could feed the addiction. An event is nothing like what you see on TV. Practice is open seating so you can sit right up front and feel the wind as the skaters pass. There is lots of interesting stuff going on during practice and warm-ups. There is beautiful music, stars sitting all around you, and drama. And exhaustion, also. There are long bathroom lines for the ladies (snicker snicker) at some events. There is poor arena food if any. Or good. One never knows. Some events allow food and water in, some dont. There are different camera rules at every event. Make sure you know how to turn off your flash. And there are certain fan rules if you wish to sit with folks you wish to be liked by. I try hard to play well with others. I am not negative and I dont talk during a performance. I dont run around the seats trying to get autographs from Scott or Tara or Todd. They have a right to their privacy. If Brian B. sits next to me, I might make a positive flipant remark that will get a laugh but I generally leave the stars alone, unless I know them. It is generally considered OK to sit next to friends during performances if there are lots of empty seats (And at SA there usually are.) If someone asks you to move from their seat, go quickly and quietly. If someone at practice wants me to move from "their" seat, I dont make a fuss and just move. But practices are open seating. Above all, have fun and remember that attitude is everything. If you want to make lots of friends you would like to meet up with year after year, be polite, positive, listen much and talk little.
I have met the most amazing people who are diehard fans at these events and I learn so much from them about skating and everything else. Oh, and the arena can be cold during practice and very warm during competitions....be prepared for anything!
And if I forget anyone's name, please be kind....old age isnt for sissies! Must get back to making my personal Program guide.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
For those who are in Japan or have a keyhole Asahi TV will broadcast the event, boys and girls only, as usual:
テレビ朝日系列
10月21日(日)深夜 0:50~(男子フリー) (Men FS)
10月22日(月)深夜 3:40~(女子フリー)(Ladies FS)

BS朝日
10月21日(日) 午後1:00~3:55(男子ショート・女子ショート)(Men SP, Ladies SP)
10月22日(月) 夜 6:00~7:54(男子フリー)(Men FS)
10月23日(火) 夜 6:00~7:54(女子フリー)(Ladies FS)

Eurosport will also broadcast some stuff. No info about Russian channels, yet. Will be later.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
I *might* be able to go Saturday and/or Sunday. The only thing I have that is orange is a foam traffic cone hat, which I don't think anyone would appreciate (it's a long story). ;) If I'm able to make it, I'll find something eye-catching to wear! All I know is that I will bring a foam pad to sit on. My butt got sore from those hard plastic seats at Comcast Arena (Skate America 2008). BTW, does anyone know what the camera policy will be for this event?

Last edited: