Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who is going?

Medalist
    Extremely late 40s? Yes, very extreme

Ouch, buddy....well, OK...maybe that was a SLIGHT exageration....
    Hey, we are gonna have to try three restaurants in the Kent station...
    1. The Ram is excellent....
    2. Gotta try the chowderhouse
    3. Wanna also try the Zepher.....
    All these are a short walk from the arena. I think all three sell self medication.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It sounds very enticing. And I can find an orange t-shirt, for sure!

skating philosopher
    I can definitely wear orange too!

So do we want to actually plan a meet up or so we play it by ear? Those restaurants you mention CoyoteChris sound good -- there's a place called Naked Pizza that might be opening there soon that sounds awesome too.

ETA: More about Mrs. P -- I'm in my early 30s, married to a husband who jokes that he loses his wife to figure skating for several months of the year. Been into figure skating on and off since the early 1990s, but really got back to it around 2009.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks Mrs. P. Now you are more of a person and less just a handle! I loose my wife to dog shows and she looses me to skating and anything involving airplanes....you can see what I look like by perusing the thread and looking at the links, and if you see me, say hi . Maybe we do lunch or dinner....maybe we corral up some other members. (I tend to not do pizza places as I like a more formal experience, personally).
    After 12 plus events, it is my opinion that any plans made aforehand go out the window. Better to be spontanious. If you look at the detailed schedule,
    http://www.2012skateamerica.com/wp-c...e_12-07-27.pdf
    you will see that there are actually times to eat in some cases and on some days. But not others. Depending on what you wish to see. For instance, I might chose to go eat on Saturday during men's warmup at 15:45, but come back in time (or not) for the pairs warm-up. Someone else might wish to stay glued to the ice for both or neither. I have some good friends showing up and I might wish to spend time with them playing catchup and not be in a group situation for that. I hope no one is offended if I do that.
    But I do think it would be great to introduce ourselves and if some folk want to do lunch at 11 am on Saturday, before the LS, that would be fine, for instance. Its just that after some "100 hours in a seat" nationals, sometimes I need alittle down time at these events, naping in my car, etc.
    One way to get aquainted is that on some days, there might not be time to go out so we can grab some arena food and eat together. Look at Friday and there is no time for lunch, for instance....opps...wife and dogs want to go for a walk...latter

Custom Title
    I'll definately look for people wearing orange t-shirts, though I probably won't sport one myself as orange is a terrible color on me. It makes me look yellow. I'll try to bring that pink jacket.

As for who I am, I am indeed female. I would like to say mid 20-something, but I just had a birthday ending in a 0...... I have dark hair that is very long, so that's another distinguishing feature, but I might have it up in a bun or somesuch for convenience. I started skating in western Washington about seven years ago, but moved to the midwest in spring 2009 and have skated off and on out here since. I wonder if I've ever skated at the same event or rink as Mrs. P. : )

I'll also be a +1 on that list since my mom will be there with me.

I think it would be convenient to set up a possible meeting time and place even if actual plans make that more difficult just so we can all coordinate. Something like Friday at the time Mrs. P mentioned just inside the front entrance to the right hand side of the doors?
    Last edited by MoonlightSkater; 10-10-2012 at 06:53 AM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlightSkater View Post
    I'll definately look for people wearing orange t-shirts, though I probably won't sport one myself as orange is a terrible color on me. It makes me look yellow. I'll try to bring that pink jacket.

As for who I am, I am indeed female. I would like to say mid 20-something, but I just had a birthday ending in a 0...... I have dark hair that is very long, so that's another distinguishing feature, but I might have it up in a bun or somesuch for convenience. I started skating in western Washington about seven years ago, but moved to the midwest in spring 2009 and have skated off and on out here since. I wonder if I've ever skated at the same event or rink as Mrs. P. : )

I'll also be a +1 on that list since my mom will be there with me.

I think it would be convenient to set up a possible meeting time and place even if actual plans make that more difficult just so we can all coordinate. Something like Friday at the time Mrs. P mentioned just inside the front entrance to the right hand side of the doors?
    I'm just a skating fan watcher -- I've never skated, though I think it might be fun to try! Also I live in Central Washington -- though I'm in Seattle a lot for various reasons.

Thanks for the detailed schedule, Chris! It looks like there's a huge gap between the practice sessions and the first competition schedule on Friday -- so maybe, as Moonlightskater said, maybe we can meet inside the front entrance at let's say 5 p.m. and take it from there? Saturday and Sunday looked packed, with practices/warmup/competition all day. So I think Friday might be best to organize something formal.

ETA: This is my first live skating event, so please bear with my lack of knowledge of how it all works!

ETA 2: I also would be open to some less spontaneous as well if Friday doesn't work for any of you -- I just want to meet the people I've been chatting with all these years!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.

[QUOTE=Mrs. P;665119]I'm just a skating fan watcher -- I've never skated, though I think it might be fun to try! Also I live in Central Washington -- though I'm in Seattle a lot for various reasons.

Thanks for the detailed schedule, Chris! It looks like there's a huge gap between the practice sessions and the first competition schedule on Friday -- so maybe, as Moonlightskater said, maybe we can meet inside the front entrance at let's say 5 p.m. and take it from there? Saturday and Sunday looked packed, with practices/warmup/competition all day. So I think Friday might be best to organize something formal.

ETA: This is my first live skating event, so please bear with my lack of knowledge of how it all works!
    You had better take care, Mrs. P. First time I went to a competition (Spokane Skate America 2002) I was hooked, line and sinker. But then in 2004 I retired and I could go to SA, Nats, 4 Conts, LA Worlds 2009, etc and I could feed the addiction. An event is nothing like what you see on TV. Practice is open seating so you can sit right up front and feel the wind as the skaters pass. There is lots of interesting stuff going on during practice and warm-ups. There is beautiful music, stars sitting all around you, and drama. And exhaustion, also. There are long bathroom lines for the ladies (snicker snicker) at some events. There is poor arena food if any. Or good. One never knows. Some events allow food and water in, some dont. There are different camera rules at every event. Make sure you know how to turn off your flash. And there are certain fan rules if you wish to sit with folks you wish to be liked by. I try hard to play well with others. I am not negative and I dont talk during a performance. I dont run around the seats trying to get autographs from Scott or Tara or Todd. They have a right to their privacy. If Brian B. sits next to me, I might make a positive flipant remark that will get a laugh but I generally leave the stars alone, unless I know them. It is generally considered OK to sit next to friends during performances if there are lots of empty seats (And at SA there usually are.) If someone asks you to move from their seat, go quickly and quietly. If someone at practice wants me to move from "their" seat, I dont make a fuss and just move. But practices are open seating. Above all, have fun and remember that attitude is everything. If you want to make lots of friends you would like to meet up with year after year, be polite, positive, listen much and talk little.
    I have met the most amazing people who are diehard fans at these events and I learn so much from them about skating and everything else. Oh, and the arena can be cold during practice and very warm during competitions....be prepared for anything!
    And if I forget anyone's name, please be kind....old age isnt for sissies! Must get back to making my personal Program guide.

Banned
    For those who are in Japan or have a keyhole Asahi TV will broadcast the event, boys and girls only, as usual:
    テレビ朝日系列
    10月21日(日)深夜 0:50~(男子フリー) (Men FS)
    10月22日(月)深夜 3:40~(女子フリー)(Ladies FS)

BS朝日
    10月21日(日) 午後1:00~3:55(男子ショート・女子ショート)(Men SP, Ladies SP)
    10月22日(月) 夜 6:00~7:54(男子フリー)(Men FS)
    10月23日(火) 夜 6:00~7:54(女子フリー)(Ladies FS)

Eurosport will also broadcast some stuff. No info about Russian channels, yet. Will be later.

Custom Title
    I *might* be able to go Saturday and/or Sunday. The only thing I have that is orange is a foam traffic cone hat, which I don't think anyone would appreciate (it's a long story). If I'm able to make it, I'll find something eye-catching to wear! All I know is that I will bring a foam pad to sit on. My butt got sore from those hard plastic seats at Comcast Arena (Skate America 2008). BTW, does anyone know what the camera policy will be for this event?
    Last edited by LongTimeLurker; 10-11-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: camera question

LTL, I believe these seats are padded, No? I will check.
    Here are the camera policies from the offal web site.
    *Can I bring my camera and take pictures during the event?

Spectators are permitted to use cameras at the event for personal use only. The following are not permitted at 2012 Skate America:
    ■No flash photography
    ■No type of transmitter mechanism for the purpose of using a flash or strobes
    ■Camera cannot interfere with other fans’ enjoyment
    ■Any resale of photography or posting photos on websites is strictly prohibited.
    ■Absolutely no video recording is allowed. Only accredited coaches and team managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from rinkside during that skater’s/team’s practice or performance.

Spectators not abiding by these restrictions risk having their camera confiscated by venue security staff.

I emailed the center about the seats but found this on the web...
    The City Operations Committee voted 2-1 Tuesday to recommend the Council approve the extra funds for the arena. The Council will consider the proposal at its next regular meeting, July 15. The Operations Committee consists of Council members Debbie Raplee, Les Thomas and Tim Clark. Clark voted against the proposal because of its potential impact on the city’s general fund.

Most of the project funds to build the arena will come from the city issuing bonds that would be paid back over the next 30 years from fees collected from events and activities at the facility.

An estimated $400,000 in additional revenue will be brought in each year due to the new features. Those features include better lighting, a scoreboard, and padded seats in the general-admission area. Every $100,000 translates into $1 million in bonding capacity, which creates the additional $4 million in revenue that the city could use toward the project, said Ben Wolters, city economic development director.

The remaining $1.9 million of the extra costs will be funded through the capital improvements budget at a cost of about $180,000 per year.

“With the additional revenue, we’re confident the city can afford this,” Wolters said.
    Last edited by CoyoteChris; 10-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Here are the camera policies from the offal web site.....
    .... padded seats in the general-admission area....
    Wow, thanks CC! My sore butt rejoices! ;-) Mr. LTL does not think about such things as he, ummmm, has a little more padding there.....
    Hopefully I'll be able to make it. I'll know more about my schedule come Monday.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I'm just a skating fan watcher -- I've never skated, though I think it might be fun to try! Also I live in Central Washington -- though I'm in Seattle a lot for various reasons.

ETA 2: I also would be open to some less spontaneous as well if Friday doesn't work for any of you -- I just want to meet the people I've been chatting with all these years!

If you all are going to meet at the front entrance of the arena at 5pm on Friday, I will try to come up from the press room to meet you. I don't own anything orange, but if you are all in orange I can probably find you.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    If you all are going to meet at the front entrance of the arena at 5pm on Friday, I will try to come up from the press room to meet you. I don't own anything orange, but if you are all in orange I can probably find you.
    That sounds great -- I look forward to meeting you, even if only briefly. I plan to wear my orange sweat shirt it says "Sun City Half Marathon + 5k" on it. Also I'm an Asian girl with dark hair and black framed glasses, so that should help!

So see you all at 5 p.m. Friday for a brief meet up or per-competition dinner or whatever the mood strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    Wow, thanks CC! My sore butt rejoices! ;-) Mr. LTL does not think about such things as he, ummmm, has a little more padding there.....
    Hopefully I'll be able to make it. I'll know more about my schedule come Monday.
    Wellllll...guess what? They ended up not spending the money for real seats, so bring your but pads.....here is the answer I recieved just today....quote...
    "In Club Sections 114, 115 & 116, yes. All other seats are individual bucket seats (not bleachers or benches) of contoured plastic.... "
    End quote. Thanks for asking, LTL....guess I bring my pads.......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast