Skating Siblings | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Siblings

heyang

Record Breaker
How about the Stiegler's? Stephanie Stiegler achieved some success with John Zimmerman. I believe she had a wrist injury which prevented her competing with John for a season and then he decided to partner with Kyoko Ina.

Her younger siblings Tiffani and Johnnny were considered quite promising a pairs team. There was a quality to her presence that reminded many of Ekaterina Gordeeva. I believe she became too tall for Johnny and he wanted to go to college more than skate. She also tried ice dance, but things just didnt' gel.

KKonas

Medalist
Hayes Jenkins won Olympic gold in men in 1956 and brother David won Olympic gold in men in 1960.

How about the Stiegler's? Stephanie Stiegler achieved some success with John Zimmerman. I believe she had a wrist injury which prevented her competing with John for a season and then he decided to partner with Kyoko Ina.

Her younger siblings Tiffani and Johnnny were considered quite promising a pairs team. There was a quality to her presence that reminded many of Ekaterina Gordeeva. I believe she became too tall for Johnny and he wanted to go to college more than skate. She also tried ice dance, but things just didnt' gel.

This was an especially frustrating one. Tiffany Stiegler was a natural in the spotlight. I had hopes for her, but for one reason or another, her career didn't survive maturity. The ice dancing looked promising for awhile. I wished at the time that the skating federation could have figured out a way to move heaven and earth to get her a decent partner. But I guess some things are just not to be. Does anyone know what happened to her?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I thought sometimes one sibling was more successful than another because one liked skating better and put more effort into it. My sister and I both swam competitively but she was better than me because I didn't put as much effort into it and was focusing on other interests instead (academic, musical).

macy

Record Breaker
Did you intend for this thread to focus on siblings of the same gender?
If not, then other brother-sister sibs not already mentioned are the Reeds and the Hubbells ...

yes, same sex. i think comparing brothers to sisters is like apples and oranges; they're completely different. more of the single skaters who are same-gender siblings competing in the same discipline such as the examples i mentioned.

Last edited:
I thought sometimes one sibling was more successful than another because one liked skating better and put more effort into it. My sister and I both swam competitively but she was better than me because I didn't put as much effort into it and was focusing on other interests instead (academic, musical).

That reminds me of the actress Joanna Kerns. Her sister was Olympic swimming champion Donna DeVarona. Kerns competed in swimming for awhile but realized that it wasn't her sport the way it was her sister's. She did pretty well in another direction, though!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Of Amber and Alissa, Amber was a more consistent (and powerful) jumper. A shame injury knocked her out of the sport.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I happened to be looking at Ashley Wagner's ISU bio, and learned this: "Her brother Austin (two years younger) competed at the national level in figure skating."

Oops! Thanks!

No worries, SGrand. I'm glad that the Shibutanis have a following. :)

That reminds me of the actress Joanna Kerns. Her sister was Olympic swimming champion Donna DeVarona. Kerns competed in swimming for awhile but realized that it wasn't her sport the way it was her sister's. She did pretty well in another direction, though!

Thanks for the interesting comment, Olympia. I knew that Kerns and DeVarona were sisters, but did not know that Kerns once had been a swimmer as well. Great that both excelled in their separate endeavors.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
John Kerr will carry Olympic Torch on Wed Jun 13

When John Kerr tweeted a reminder that he will be carrying the torch in Edinburgh, pretty cute that big sis Sinead chimed in to help him give the full scoop ;):

John Alastair Kerr ‏@Jkerrbear
For anyone who wants to come along I will be running with the Olympic torch at 7pm on Lauriston Place in Edinburgh
2:32 PM - 11 Jun 12

sinead kerr ‏@sineadskate
@Jkerrbear you forgot to say what day! Wednesday right?!
10:31 PM - 11 Jun 12

John Alastair Kerr ‏@Jkerrbear
@sineadskate oops yes Wednesday!
5:03 AM - 12 Jun 12

claphappy

On the Ice
Viktoria and Joshi Helgesson are both quite good. Viktoria is 23 years old, 5 years older than Joshi. Both are still developing. Viktoria did her first 3-3 toe in competition this season and does all triples. Joshi is practicing 3-axel among the other triple jumps, in spite of being tall. As of now Viktoria is able to medal at Europeans and be among the ten best at world's. Remains to be seen how far the sisters can reach in their carriers and who will be the best. Their mother and coach was also a figure skater, though at a lower level. Swedish FS didn't have the same resources back then. Christina, their mother, and their other coach Regina started practicing figure skating outdoors.

I didn't know that; NICE! I gotta say, I just love both those girls!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am sure it was said but the Duchesnay's were a brother and sister pair who made a huge impact on ice dance, Mai and Mao Asada - Mai was doing fairly well competitively and faded - kind of reminds me of Karen and Michelle |Kwan. In fact, I think one year Karen Kwan was in third after the short and there were visions of two Kwans going to world's but that sadly ended.It's nice to to see Artur Dimitriev Jr follow his dad and the likes of Ksenia Makarova who we may never see at worlds again follower her parents. I think Daria Grinkova was a hopeful at one point or was it Liza but then change routes from her famous skating parents. I think Canada had a promising skater in Rosemaire Sakic (???) and her brother was a skater - but another kind of skater - hockey star Joe Sakic.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Igor Shpilband's daughter Katia skates.

And Rudy Galindo's sister skates-she now coaches.

Scott Moir's brother Danny also ice danced competitively and got to the national level.

jasminum

Rinkside
They may be too young to be introduced in this thread, but I couldn't resist.
Ms. Hamada trains one more pack of skating siblings in Japan: Taichi Honda, Marin Honda and Miyu Honda.

Taichi Honda, 14 years old and JSF certified athlete in 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRIJLv913g

Marin Honda, 10 years old
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e4x7tcwP0s

Miyu Honda, 8 years old. She is a child actor and very popular now in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sorPZ111mwc

Actually there is 4-year-old sister who also skate under Mr. Hamada but I don't know her name.

Marin has great potential. :)