Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: GP 2012 assignments

Custom Title
    Why Kexin Zhang did not get 2 Grand Prix assignment ?

Custom Title
    Did i read that Brown and Farris didn't get a GP assignment? What's up with that?

Johnny Weir's coming back?

Custom Title
    I believe that everyone should shut up, with Rachael Flatt. I was not fan of her in the beginning, but this is a skater who did great improvement in term of presentation. I credit her for her hard working because she can be stunning like she did at her FS at Nationals : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR2cXbneV-k

And, you know what, I was thinking that this program was the worst program of the beginning of the season and when she comes back with this performance at nationals. She convinced me that her hard work pay off cause I enjoy this program at the end of the season. Rachael is a kind of skater who knows how to sells her program. Sometimes she can be marvelous and other times desastrous.

In addition, she did great for the US at the Olympic. So, I believe that she merits her spot for Skate America
    The US knows that she have make significant achievement for them!
    Last edited by coolboogie22; 05-21-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Custom Title
    It's time that the US look to the future. Johnny is not it. If Jason or Joshua wants to have a shot at the Olympic team they needed to get out there this year. With the US men rather average Josh and Jason could have set themselves up nicely in 2014. Except for Jeremy Abbot Brown and Farris could conceivably pass up the other men who haven't showed they are ready to take the next step. Except for maybe Dornbush i don't see any younger Senior man who's championship material.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    Why Kexin Zhang did not get 2 Grand Prix assignment ?
    Yes she did. She got Cup of China and TEB in France.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the correction re: Mao a few pages earlier. I'm happy for Rachel and SA as she was one of the highlights of nationals this year for me. I'm also glad to see Oda (at least his name) again! Hoping Kazuka has a great season. Sad to not see Armin on the list...any chances he gets invited?

Down With It
    I still think USFS should either left a TBA open for SA, or given Nagasu a 2nd event over Gao.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    FWIW: In its new Facebook post about the GP assignments, the ISU seems to think this is the headline: "There are two possible comebacks for this season! Keep your eyes open for Johnny Weir and Miki Ando." No other skaters are singled out for mention in the brief post, which otherwise just gives a link to the ISU's own website.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's time that the US look to the future. Johnny is not it. If Jason or Joshua wants to have a shot at the Olympic team they needed to get out there this year. With the US men rather average Josh and Jason could have set themselves up nicely in 2014. Except for Jeremy Abbot Brown and Farris could conceivably pass up the other men who haven't showed they are ready to take the next step. Except for maybe Dornbush i don't see any younger Senior man who's championship material.
    They can still have a shot at the 2014 Olympic team if they compete in the JGP this season. Lysacek competed in the JGP the season before the 2006 Olympic season and he went on to place 4th at the 2006 Olympics. It is better to gain experience competing in the JGP than have only one GP event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Since this year's NHK trophy is in Sendai, the JSF could have some commitments. It's quite apparent they had planned to use this occasion to "encourage" tsunami stricken people in Tohoku region. Hanyu is indispensable as the local star. But putting Takahashi aside for the sake of Hanyu is a little problematic. Doing so could give the impression that the JSF is ready to favor Hanyu over Takahashi. They are still reluctant to embrace the idea after Takahashi's "win" over Patrick Chan. The best case is to assign both of them to NHK trophy. I think ticket sales and TV ratings were not the major concerns this time.
    That's what I suspect. JSF is using NHK to determine who's going to be the favorite of the year nationally and internationally. They don't mind putting hard time on Takahashi in such early season and they don't mind if the new comer beat the old favor. It must be hard for the Sendai audience to choose which one they are going to root for. NHK is the most exciting GP event of the year though.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    FWIW: In its new Facebook post about the GP assignments, the ISU seems to think this is the headline: "There are two possible comebacks for this season! Keep your eyes open for Johnny Weir and Miki Ando." No other skaters are singled out for mention in the brief post, which otherwise just gives a link to the ISU's own website.
    So Evan and the federation can't reach agreement?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I still think USFS should either left a TBA open for SA, or given Nagasu a 2nd event over Gao.
    I can see why they opted for Gao over giving a second event for Nagasu. Nagasu has yet to make a GPF in her three seasons on the circuit. Also Gao finished ahead of Nagasu in Nationals.

While Nagasu has all the potential in the world, she has yet to realize it. Clearly USFS wants to spread the wealth rather than give Mirai another chance.

Something to note:

In 2011, All the top six from had 2 events (Alissa, Rachael, Mirai, Agnes, Christina and Ashley).

This year, only three girls from the top six (Ashley (1), Agnes (3) and Caroline (4) plus Gracie Gold had two events. The other four (Alissa (2), Christina (5) and Rachael and Mirai (7) have just one.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 05-21-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Custom Title
    Looking back past seasons, the #1 priority of the USFS is obvious -- maximizing the spots for American skaters. Usually only one American (the favorite of the coming season) with two guaranteed spots is assigned to Skate America. They will be able to "assign" skaters who have one guaranteed spot with multiple conditions (WS/SB/junior medals) to overseas without much problems. For the sake of skaters who fulfill only one condition, they have to make some deals with host federations. This year, they have succeeded to give three such skaters (Zhang/Zawadzki/Dornbush) two overseas assignments. Only after that, they can host pick skaters who have no guaranteed spots (Flatt/Gao). I'm quite surprised to see Zawadzki at NHK instead of Nagasu (who has the higer WS and SB). Maybe they can influence other federations' "choices". I think giving a spot to Flatt is a complete waste but that could be considered a major victory for the USFS.
    Last edited by NMURA; 05-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    --Very glad that Ross Miner got two assignments. This could be his year to break out and challenge for the national title. ...
    Although in Hawaii on vacation with the Shibutanis, Miner (understandably) made sure to get the news hot off the press:

Ross Miner ‏@rossminer
    I'm really excited to be heading back to Canada and Japan! I only woke up at 2 am Hawaii time to check!
    12:03 PM - 21 May 12

Alex Shibutani ‏@AlexShibutani
    Now I know why @rossminer wanted to call it a day at 8:30 last night. He wanted to check GP assignments at 2am...
    12:08 PM - 21 May 12

Quote Originally Posted by verte76 View Post
    No surprize there. Czisny's down to one assignment.
    IN says that Czisny requested only one assignment, because she is having surgery.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast