GP 2012 assignments | Page 8 | Golden Skate

GP 2012 assignments

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hendrickx is 27th on WR and 28th on SB. My guess is he "inherited" a spot from KVDP, or at least TEB sees it that way.

icellist

On the Ice
just wondering, if a non-American ladies competitor pulls out of SA (with 3 American ladies already), does the spot go to Mirai (top of substitution list) or too the next non-American skater on the list?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
just wondering, if a non-American ladies competitor pulls out of SA (with 3 American ladies already), does the spot go to Mirai (top of substitution list) or too the next non-American skater on the list?

I think the max is 3, so they couldn't invite Mirai. They would invite I guess the next on the list.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jorik was 9th at Europeans, and couldn't go to Worlds because Belgium had only one spot this year.

Perhaps he got some love from TEB due to the fact that Kevin got the Worlds opportunity and not Jorik?

Danny852003

Spectator
I cant help but feel for the skaters from less influential federations who had respectable showings at the year-end championships who received no assignments--

Elena Glebova (EST)- 13th at worlds (10th in the free skate), 11th at Euros, SB 157.77 @Merano Cup
Jenna McCorkell (GBR)- 14th at worlds (12th in the fs), SB 143.84 @Worlds
Misha Ge (UZB)- 19th at worlds, 9th at 4CC, SB 202.84 @Istanbul Cup
Christopher Caluza (PHI)- 21st at worlds, 12th at 4CC, SB 184.10 @Worlds

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
As for JSF getting Takahashi and Hannyu to compete against each other at NHK, does anyone remember that they did the same with Shizuka and Mao in the 2005/6 season at TEB AND CoC? The fearless and fresh Mao of course came out and nailed everything (3axel, 3flip/3loop etc) and won both. As a die-hard Shizuka fan then (and still is), I remember having very mixed feelings. Shizuka got changed for the medal ceremony looking absolutely gorgeous in Paris though!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cant help but feel for the skaters from less influential federations who had respectable showings at the year-end championships who received no assignments--

Elena Glebova (EST)- 13th at worlds (10th in the free skate), 11th at Euros, SB 157.77 @Merano Cup

These skaters don't get assignments because their WR and/or SB aren't high enough on the lists, and also because they are not skating for a host nation.

deedee1

Record Breaker
As for JSF getting Takahashi and Hannyu to compete against each other at NHK, does anyone remember that they did the same with Shizuka and Mao in the 2005/6 season at TEB AND CoC? The fearless and fresh Mao of course came out and nailed everything (3axel, 3flip/3loop etc) and won both. As a die-hard Shizuka fan then (and still is), I remember having very mixed feelings.

You were not the only one, hikki. I felt the same way.
Mao was not even age eligible for the Olympic Games and ISU's senior championships backt then, enjoying her very first appearances on the senior circuit with literally, no pressure. Shizuka, OTOH struggled to keep up her motivation the season before (2004-05 season) after winning the world title in 2004, then struggling again with UR calls that season. And caused her to miss the GPF. I thought it a bit unfair for the sake of Shizuka, because it was Torino season..:no:
Did not Torasova bark at JSF, saying something like "Are you going to bury Shizuka away?"

If it wasn't the Olympic season, I would not have felt that way, though, of course.

deedee1

Record Breaker
These skaters don't get assignments because their WR and/or SB aren't high enough on the lists, and also because they are not skating for a host nation.

While I fully understand all the requirements in my head, my heart says 'I would love to see them!', you know.
What a shame on ISU cutting down the slots at each desciplines. :disapp: That decision rather works to disadvantage for skaters like Glebova and McCorkell, and eliminate skaters like Caluza and Ge from competing/exploring on Grand Prix circuit...

doctor2014

On the Ice

I thought Jenna also retired, although I'd like to see her continue.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
That's the main thing! Looking gorgeous in Paris -- what else is there? :)
That's the main thing, I agree! ;) I knew there was a bit of diva-ness in her :p

You were not the only one, hikki. I felt the same way.
Apparently Shizuka practiced on the GPF rink in Tokyo during the competition (for which she didn't qualify) in the off-peak hours the competitors were not around, and she later admitted that was one of the hardest things to do, but she knew she needed that kick. You and I know she had a debut of her new Y spiral sequence at Nationals and wowed everyone, qualifying (just) for the Olympics!

Sorry this is getting off-topic. :biggrin:

Last edited: