GP 2012 assignments | Page 5 | Golden Skate

GP 2012 assignments

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
No, it won't. China can only send 1 man to Worlds anyways. If Song disappoints this fall, Yan can go to Worlds instead. He can do JGP and then senior Worlds, however new rules allow that a skater can NOT do senior GP and then junior worlds anymore. If only one of Song or Yan can go to Worlds anyways, why make Yan go senior when he only had 1 GP guarantee and it would prevent him from going to junior worlds should Song get the Worlds spot? It is a very logical decision considering the new rules. If Yan moved senior, either he or Song would be out of luck in regards to Worlds, and then China would be relying on He Zhang to secure maximum JGP assignments at junior worlds. This way they can chose to send either Song or Yan to Worlds without eliminating the possibility of sending Yan to junior worlds if he doesn't go to senior worlds.

I thought China would come up with the best solution though I wasn't clear on this. Thank you so much for explaining it!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ice Network has Johnny's new (married) name as Weir-Voronov but the ISU still has him listed as Johnny Weir. Who's right? Then again, even IN still has his bio listed under Weir.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ice Network has Johnny's new (married) name as Weir-Voronov but the ISU still has him listed as Johnny Weir. Who's right? Then again, even IN still has his bio listed under Weir.

Hard to say whether either version is "right" or "wrong".
His official Twitter URL does not include Voronov. http://twitter.com/#!/JohnnyGWeir
But soon after his marriage, he changed his Twitter "profile" name to Johnny Weir-Voronov.
His Twitter feed has a link to his website, and its URL does not include Voronov. The name at the top of the home page for his website also remains Johnny Weir.
The USFSA press release re GP assignments uses Weir-Voronov ...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There IS a reasonable explanation why Takahashi #2/ Hanyu #3 are at NHK and Joubert #4 / Amodio #5 are at TEB: HOST PICK is the very first step in the selection process.

In the host pick selection, Japan chose their two top men, and France chose their two top men. It is not against the rules (and it has happened in the past).

Gliding on ice

Rinkside
No, it won't. China can only send 1 man to Worlds anyways. If Song disappoints this fall, Yan can go to Worlds instead. He can do JGP and then senior Worlds, however new rules allow that a skater can NOT do senior GP and then junior worlds anymore. If only one of Song or Yan can go to Worlds anyways, why make Yan go senior when he only had 1 GP guarantee and it would prevent him from going to junior worlds should Song get the Worlds spot? It is a very logical decision considering the new rules. If Yan moved senior, either he or Song would be out of luck in regards to Worlds, and then China would be relying on He Zhang to secure maximum JGP assignments at junior worlds. This way they can chose to send either Song or Yan to Worlds without eliminating the possibility of sending Yan to junior worlds if he doesn't go to senior worlds.

This reasoning looks perfect on paper. However, over the years, all I learned from the Chinese Federation is that it's impossible to reason out their decisions on assignments. Even if Song disappoints this fall, the Federation would think that Yan lacks the experience competing at senior level, hence still sending Song to Worlds. Just look at that despite Jialiang Wu's disappointing results at Nationals (4th place) and a lackluster season, China still sent him to the 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy, hoping to get 1 spot for men to the 2010 Olympics. It was not surprising that Wu disappointed the federation again.

At Junior Worlds, China could rely on both He Zhang and Boyang Jin (already has the triple Axel and the quad in his arsenal) to secure maximum JGP assignments. Plus, China never fully used their men's JGP slots since they usually just send skaters to the 4 JGPs that have pair skating. What's the point of securing maximum JGP slots if they will go wasted?

IMHO, it's in the Chinese Federation's best interest to help both Yan and Song secure 2 GP assignments (COC host pick + another assignment) and see how they fare in the fall before deciding who gets go to Worlds. It's very possible that a decision still can't be made, but the Federation can look at their performances at the nationals and 4CC before making the final call. It's more fair this way as Yan will get the Senior experience he needs and China won't be relying just on Song.

Last edited:

niami

Rinkside
They [Brown and Farris] can still have a shot at the 2014 Olympic team if they compete in the JGP this season. Lysacek competed in the JGP the season before the 2006 Olympic season and he went on to place 4th at the 2006 Olympics. It is better to gain experience competing in the JGP than have only one GP event.

That's incorrect about Evan. In the season before the 2006 Olympic season (2004-05), Evan did the senior Grand Prix: Skate America and Cup of Russia.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I'm glad Gracie and Caroline both got 2 events. I don't think Mirai should have gotten 2 events over Christina or Rachael's host pick. Mirai has had a number of chances and always seems to fall short.. She's someone who needs a few wake-up calls here and there, and having just one GP event won't hurt her much if she can bring it at Nationals (plus she's highly regarded by USFSA anyway). I haven't lost hope in Christina Gao either - she has grown a lot over the past few seasons and had an injury last summer that hurt her all season, but I'm hoping she'll finally settle in next season..

Excited to see how the Russian trio of Adelina, Liza, and Julia do next season. Glad that Polina K and Polina S have moved up to seniors as well. I love Polina K and hope she gets the last TBA in Rostelecom Cup! Another question: who is China saving their TBA for? Considering the fact that Li Zijun has been one of the top Chinese ladies for the past few seasons, why does she only have one event and not even a host pick? Kexin Zhang already has two events.. hope to see Li Zijun in CoC!

Gliding on ice

Rinkside
Don't worry, Zijun will definitely get the last TBA at COC :)

I'm glad Gracie and Caroline both got 2 events. I don't think Mirai should have gotten 2 events over Christina or Rachael's host pick. Mirai has had a number of chances and always seems to fall short.. She's someone who needs a few wake-up calls here and there, and having just one GP event won't hurt her much if she can bring it at Nationals (plus she's highly regarded by USFSA anyway). I haven't lost hope in Christina Gao either - she has grown a lot over the past few seasons and had an injury last summer that hurt her all season, but I'm hoping she'll finally settle in next season..

Excited to see how the Russian trio of Adelina, Liza, and Julia do next season. Glad that Polina K and Polina S have moved up to seniors as well. I love Polina K and hope she gets the last TBA in Rostelecom Cup! Another question: who is China saving their TBA for? Considering the fact that Li Zijun has been one of the top Chinese ladies for the past few seasons, why does she only have one event and not even a host pick? Kexin Zhang already has two events.. hope to see Li Zijun in CoC!

Butterscotch17

On the Ice

From Johnny's Wikipedia page: "Weir's representative said, 'The couple has taken the new surname, Weir-Voronov, but professionally, Johnny will continue to be known as Johnny Weir.'"

So it sounds like it's Johnny Weir, but I guess either would be fine.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From Johnny's Wikipedia page: "Weir's representative said, 'The couple has taken the new surname, Weir-Voronov, but professionally, Johnny will continue to be known as Johnny Weir.'"

So it sounds like it's Johnny Weir, but I guess either would be fine.

Ah the dilemma of professional/ and personal identity. I'm Mrs. P officially by marriage, but I maintain my Ms. H name for career reasons. There are times I don't know which name to use!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
There IS a reasonable explanation why Takahashi #2/ Hanyu #3 are at NHK and Joubert #4 / Amodio #5 are at TEB: HOST PICK is the very first step in the selection process.

In the host pick selection, Japan chose their two top men, and France chose their two top men. It is not against the rules (and it has happened in the past).

Can you provide examples from seasons that didn't have the option for three GPs? Because I operated under the impression that regardless, the top three couldn't see each other and the next three couldn't see each other. Most federations, even when they've had the opportunity, have separated the skaters anyway.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
So excited about the return of Miki Ando. Nevertheless, I am a bit worried cause she's going to be skating in strong events, going head-to-head with Kostner (Cup of China and Eric Bompard). Hope that can give her an extra motivation.

What about Plushenko? I thought he was going to be on the list for the Rostelecom. Maybe his presence will only be announced later. :s

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
i am glad that caroline got 2, but i can't help but feel skate canada will screw her again.

Caroline usually does better at international competitions than national ones. That's one factor that makes her unique.
I think she will have a big problem at next year's Nationals however. She will have to contend with the other girls' National inflation.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
They're doing Rostelecom Cup. So it's not an all Asian GP series. Not surprised about the NHK invite -- this is their third year in a row doing that event! They had a decent draw -- they have a good chance at silver at both events. Their biggest competition will be I/K at both events. They will face V/M in Russia and D/W in Japan.

Thanks for the correction, Mrs. P. I guess that allays my concern!

NMURA

Medalist
Can you provide examples from seasons that didn't have the option for three GPs? Because I operated under the impression that regardless, the top three couldn't see each other and the next three couldn't see each other. Most federations, even when they've had the opportunity, have separated the skaters anyway.

2005 NHK trophy is one example. Both Suguri (5th at worlds) and Ando (6th) competed. From the 1-3 seeds, Kostner was assigned there. Therefore COC had only one seeded skater (Slutskaya). Since Arakawa and Asada were assigned to COC, it took some balance after all.

cornell08

Final Flight
Caroline usually does better at international competitions than national ones. That's one factor that makes her unique.
I think she will have a big problem at next year's Nationals however. She will have to contend with the other girls' National inflation.

I felt this way for a while but now I'm actually sensing a turning of the tides: 4CC over Czisny, and 2 GP assignments. I don't know that the USFSA would have always made these choices for Caroline...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This reasoning looks perfect on paper. However, over the years, all I learned from the Chinese Federation is that it's impossible to reason out their decisions on assignments. Even if Song disappoints this fall, the Federation would think that Yan lacks the experience competing at senior level, hence still sending Song to Worlds. Just look at that despite Jialiang Wu's disappointing results at Nationals (4th place) and a lackluster season, China still sent him to the 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy, hoping to get 1 spot for men to the 2010 Olympics. It was not surprising that Wu disappointed the federation again.

At Junior Worlds, China could rely on both He Zhang and Boyang Jin (already has the triple Axel and the quad in his arsenal) to secure maximum JGP assignments. Plus, China never fully used their men's JGP slots since they usually just send skaters to the 4 JGPs that have pair skating. What's the point of securing maximum JGP slots if they will go wasted?

IMHO, it's in the Chinese Federation's best interest to help both Yan and Song secure 2 GP assignments (COC host pick + another assignment) and see how they fare in the fall before deciding who gets go to Worlds. It's very possible that a decision still can't be made, but the Federation can look at their performances at the nationals and 4CC before making the final call. It's more fair this way as Yan will get the Senior experience he needs and China won't be relying just on Song.

Maybe Yan submitted his name and simply wasn't selected? I thought his SB and WR guaranteed him 1 assignment, but Josh Farris apparently submitted his name and wasn't selected despite being safely within the top 24 on the SB list so idk. I know they changed it so that JW medalists are no longer guaranteed a GP assignment, but AFAIK, being in the top 24 on the SB list OR WR list should GUARANTEE any skater submitting his/her name a GP assignment. Now I wonder if Jason Brown also submitted his name and was similarly shafted.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko could be announced later or maybe he will skip the GP. What if he lost to Chan twice at COR and Worlds? Maybe he would only want to lose to Chan once and not twice. Or maybe he could beat him twice or beat him once and lose to him once.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Unfortunate that Armin continues to get screwed in favor of Richard. They could have gotten 1 each instead of 2 for Rich and 0 for Armin.

As for Dornbush he placed 4th & 6th in his 2011 GP assignments & he has a solid triple axle & a fair quad. I think he deserves 2 more assignments this year.

But considering how Richard did at the Nationals then at 4CC in Colorado Springs, I believe Armin should at least get 1 assingment. :disapp:
Armin does not get any love from his fed...:no: Yes, Richard has solid jumps including a qaud. At this point, however, I would much prefer Armin unless Richard can fix his posture and lines.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps Mirai Nagasu might have a shot at a second GP. Although Alissa Czisny got an assignment at NHK, it's very unlikely that she would be sufficiently recovered from her surgery within six months to even get back to jump practices, let alone a competition. So that spot could be up for grabs. The JSF gets to make the choice of a substitute, usually based on the SB list. Mirai is #11 on the list---the highest rank skater without two GP events:

11 Mirai NAGASU
14 Kiira KORPI
15 Sofia BIRYUKOVA
17 Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA
19 Polina SHELEPEN
24 Zijun LI
26 Vanessa LAM
30 Christina GAO
37 Joshi HELGESSON
38 Rachael FLATT