GP 2012 assignments | Page 4 | Golden Skate

GP 2012 assignments

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am glad that Ross, Johnny, Agnes and Caroline have 2 assignments. I don't know why folks are surprised about Rachel's assignment to
SA. I say good for her!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am glad that Ross, Johnny, Agnes and Caroline have 2 assignments. I don't know why folks are surprised about Rachel's assignment to
SA. I say good for her!

As I said, Rach's SA assignment is not that surprising. While she is not well-loved among hard-core skating fans on these boards, she has quite the following in the U.S. She has nearly 7,000 followers on her FB page and more than 11,600 followers on Twitter. She also has a great history of doing well at Skate America. She earned two silver medals at that competition in 2009 and 2010 and was fourth in 2008 against a tough roster that included YuNa Kim, Yukari Nakano and Miki Ando.

As someone that is going to SA, I'm looking forward to seeing her skate and hopes she does well!

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Rachel is not the most beautiful skater physically, but her personality and character got me. I like her! Go Rachel!

So Chan and Oda will meet each other both in SC and CoR. Unless Oda wasn't considered as top skater any more, it's a bit unusual too.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Unfortunate that Armin continues to get screwed in favor of Richard. They could have gotten 1 each instead of 2 for Rich and 0 for Armin.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm another who believes in Rachel. She can be a tough competitor. I don't understand all the upset over Jason Brown not getting an assignment. You really think without either a solid triple axle &/or a quad he is ready to compete with the Sr. Elite Men in the world? As for Dornbush he placed 4th & 6th in his 2011 GP assignments & he has a solid triple axle & a fair quad. I think he deserves 2 more assignments this year.

fairly4

Medalist
i am glad that caroline got 2, but i can't help but feel skate canada will screw her again. not sure about moscow but might. am i mistakedn is mirai only get one.
as far as rachel and christina that was the only way they would get an assignment is with skate america.

i wish all the best

shine

Record Breaker
Can someone explain why Yan Han does not have an assignment? He has a top 24 seasons best and is ranked 2nd in China. Is he really going back to JGP (I hope not..........)?!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wasn't there a rule that would not let Lipnitskaya go to senior grand prix? I'm assuming nothing ever came of it. Does anyone know details?

The rule is still under debate. But it makes sense to try. Should the rule pass, she simply withdraws and goes to the junior GP. If the rule doesn't pass, it's too late and she doesn't get two GP spots.

Can someone explain why Yan Han does not have an assignment? He has a top 24 seasons best and is ranked 2nd in China. Is he really going back to JGP (I hope not..........)?!

Clearly he chose to stay junior. The Chinese federation tends to do that. Ditto Josh and Jason (makes sense for the latter)

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I kind of think Mirai should've gotten Skate America instead of Rachael or Christina because I think that Mirai has so much potential, but I do hope that Rachael does well. I commend her for trying to skate and attend college at the same time - that's tough. Also kind of surprised Alissa got one spot because she made the GPF the last two years, but I definitely understand why.

It will be really interesting to see how Julia does against the veterans Miki, Mao, and Carolina at Cup of China. And then Miki, Carolina and Julia will have a rematch in Paris, as well as seeing who wins between Julia and Elizaveta.

Cannot wait to see how Johnny Weir does! I have no idea what to expect from him after so long. I do expect that Jeremy will beat him in Paris, though, but who knows. Also hoping Ross Miner does really well, because I think he could be the next American star (if Johnny and Evan ever leave. Not that Evan's come back yet.)

Speaking of Evan, he was supposed to be at the GP LAST year, so this year I really thought he would be there. What is going on with him? If he expects to comeback and skate at Sochi, he needs to get out there and do some competitions! Hopefully that TBA at Skate America will be Evan.

NHK will be really interesting for the men with Daisuke and Yuzuru, and then Javier Fernandez, too. Looks like Dai and Yuzuru will face each other a lot this season, and it will be so interesting to see who comes out on top.

Also, glad to see Nobunari's name back on the list, although with such a deep men's field in Japan, I'm afraid his time might be past.

Oh, and why not even one GP for Canada's Jeremy Ten? He was third at Nationals, wasn't he?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Jeremy Ten has missed so much international skating due to injury, and his 4CC skate was terrible. His only shot was with a host pick, which he could still get.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Dornbush got two assignments because of his 2010-11 season and going to Worlds. Armin has still not established himself internationally at all.

Gliding on ice

Rinkside
Clearly he chose to stay junior. The Chinese federation tends to do that. Ditto Josh and Jason (makes sense for the latter)

To be accurate, it is not that Yan chose to stay junior. It's a lunatic Chinese Federation that forced him to do JGP/JW for at least another season :bang:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I kind of think Mirai should've gotten Skate America instead of Rachael or Christina because I think that Mirai has so much potential, but I do hope that Rachael does well. I commend her for trying to skate and attend college at the same time - that's tough. Also kind of surprised Alissa got one spot because she made the GPF the last two years, but I definitely understand why.

Mirai and Rachael are about even, when you look at it. Outside of Rachael's disaster on the GP last year:

Rachael has made GPF once. Mirai has not.
Rachael has four silver GP medals (COR 2008, SA 2009, 2010, NHK 2010) to Mirai's two silver (TEB 2010, COC 2011)
Rachael has beat Mirai in 3/4 Senior National competitions (2008 being the one where Mirai beat Rachael. Though one could argue that she should have won in 2010).

Mirai has beat Rachael in major international competition however:
2011 4CC (Mirai bronze, Rachael 4th)
2010 Worlds (Mirai, 7th, Rachael 9th)
2010 Olympics (Mirai 4th, Rachael 7th)

Mirai has a lot of potential, but she has yet to really capitalize on it. I think they chose to spread the wealth rather than give Mirai a second event.

Rachael had a really bad season last fall, but otherwise, she has proven to be a tough competitor. I could see why USFS would want to give her a chance.

Gliding on ice

Rinkside
Will this hurt Han Yan? I don't think so.

I think this is the worst scenario for Yan. He has won JW, all his JGP assignments, and two silvers at JGPF. He also has a great foundation (i.e. skating skills, jumps, muscality, etc) to that he would continue to build on only with experience from the senior arena. There is nothing he can gain from staying junior for another year.

Still hoping for a miracle that Yan will get the last COC host pick, although this hope is probably equating to waiting for the Sun to rise from the west.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Dornbush got two assignments because of his 2010-11 season and going to Worlds. Armin has still not established himself internationally at all.

Well, Rich did better than Armin internationally last year, but neither medaled anywhere. Armin did far better than Rich at Nationals. I'm less upset about Rich getting 2 spots than Armin getting 0, particularly because the assignment discrepancy seems to be based on more than results. As a parent of a glbt child it frustrates me because I hate seeing people get punished for not being "marketable" because of how they act or their ethnic background.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Will this hurt Han Yan? I don't think so.

No, it won't. China can only send 1 man to Worlds anyways. If Song disappoints this fall, Yan can go to Worlds instead. He can do JGP and then senior Worlds, however new rules allow that a skater can NOT do senior GP and then junior worlds anymore. If only one of Song or Yan can go to Worlds anyways, why make Yan go senior when he only had 1 GP guarantee and it would prevent him from going to junior worlds should Song get the Worlds spot? It is a very logical decision considering the new rules. If Yan moved senior, either he or Song would be out of luck in regards to Worlds, and then China would be relying on He Zhang to secure maximum JGP assignments at junior worlds. This way they can chose to send either Song or Yan to Worlds without eliminating the possibility of sending Yan to junior worlds if he doesn't go to senior worlds.

Anyways as much as I would like to see Farris and Brown on the senior GP, I'm sure they have a strategy with their coaches and their decisions were well thought out. If none of the other guys step it up, those two can kick butt at Nationals and be sent to senior Worlds regardless of staying on the JGP in the fall. If it doesn't happen? Then off to Junior Worlds they go. It's actually a pretty logical decision IMO. I mean Josh could maybe even win medals on the GP, but I doubt he'd make the GPF, and he could have only ended up with 1 assignment, so this way it's safer.

Armin had a terrible GP season and Ricky's was ok, but Ricky has a high WS from the season before when he won the JGPF and was 9th at Worlds, so he had 1 guarantee while Armin had none, so Armin really only did better at Nationals, and that isn't really considered for GP selection, so that's why he is out of luck in regards to the GP this season. As for Ricky, he likely would have only gotten 1 assignment if any of Farris, Brown, or Yan had moved up as they all had 1 assignment guaranteed each and probably a good shot at getting 2, but they are all doing JGP again, so that opened spots up so he was able to get a 2nd.