Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: GP 2012 assignments

I am glad that Ross, Johnny, Agnes and Caroline have 2 assignments. I don't know why folks are surprised about Rachel's assignment to
    SA. I say good for her!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I am glad that Ross, Johnny, Agnes and Caroline have 2 assignments. I don't know why folks are surprised about Rachel's assignment to
    SA. I say good for her!
    As I said, Rach's SA assignment is not that surprising. While she is not well-loved among hard-core skating fans on these boards, she has quite the following in the U.S. She has nearly 7,000 followers on her FB page and more than 11,600 followers on Twitter. She also has a great history of doing well at Skate America. She earned two silver medals at that competition in 2009 and 2010 and was fourth in 2008 against a tough roster that included YuNa Kim, Yukari Nakano and Miki Ando.

As someone that is going to SA, I'm looking forward to seeing her skate and hopes she does well!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 05-21-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Custom Title
    Rachel is not the most beautiful skater physically, but her personality and character got me. I like her! Go Rachel!

So Chan and Oda will meet each other both in SC and CoR. Unless Oda wasn't considered as top skater any more, it's a bit unusual too.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    The thing I am looking forward to the most this GP season....how Weir does!!

Custom Title
    Unfortunate that Armin continues to get screwed in favor of Richard. They could have gotten 1 each instead of 2 for Rich and 0 for Armin.

I'm another who believes in Rachel. She can be a tough competitor. I don't understand all the upset over Jason Brown not getting an assignment. You really think without either a solid triple axle &/or a quad he is ready to compete with the Sr. Elite Men in the world? As for Dornbush he placed 4th & 6th in his 2011 GP assignments & he has a solid triple axle & a fair quad. I think he deserves 2 more assignments this year.

Custom Title
    i am glad that caroline got 2, but i can't help but feel skate canada will screw her again. not sure about moscow but might. am i mistakedn is mirai only get one.
    as far as rachel and christina that was the only way they would get an assignment is with skate america.

i wish all the best

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Can someone explain why Yan Han does not have an assignment? He has a top 24 seasons best and is ranked 2nd in China. Is he really going back to JGP (I hope not..........)?!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    Wasn't there a rule that would not let Lipnitskaya go to senior grand prix? I'm assuming nothing ever came of it. Does anyone know details?
    The rule is still under debate. But it makes sense to try. Should the rule pass, she simply withdraws and goes to the junior GP. If the rule doesn't pass, it's too late and she doesn't get two GP spots.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Can someone explain why Yan Han does not have an assignment? He has a top 24 seasons best and is ranked 2nd in China. Is he really going back to JGP (I hope not..........)?!
    Clearly he chose to stay junior. The Chinese federation tends to do that. Ditto Josh and Jason (makes sense for the latter)

I kind of think Mirai should've gotten Skate America instead of Rachael or Christina because I think that Mirai has so much potential, but I do hope that Rachael does well. I commend her for trying to skate and attend college at the same time - that's tough. Also kind of surprised Alissa got one spot because she made the GPF the last two years, but I definitely understand why.

It will be really interesting to see how Julia does against the veterans Miki, Mao, and Carolina at Cup of China. And then Miki, Carolina and Julia will have a rematch in Paris, as well as seeing who wins between Julia and Elizaveta.

Cannot wait to see how Johnny Weir does! I have no idea what to expect from him after so long. I do expect that Jeremy will beat him in Paris, though, but who knows. Also hoping Ross Miner does really well, because I think he could be the next American star (if Johnny and Evan ever leave. Not that Evan's come back yet.)

Speaking of Evan, he was supposed to be at the GP LAST year, so this year I really thought he would be there. What is going on with him? If he expects to comeback and skate at Sochi, he needs to get out there and do some competitions! Hopefully that TBA at Skate America will be Evan.

NHK will be really interesting for the men with Daisuke and Yuzuru, and then Javier Fernandez, too. Looks like Dai and Yuzuru will face each other a lot this season, and it will be so interesting to see who comes out on top.

Also, glad to see Nobunari's name back on the list, although with such a deep men's field in Japan, I'm afraid his time might be past.

Oh, and why not even one GP for Canada's Jeremy Ten? He was third at Nationals, wasn't he?

Custom Title
    Jeremy Ten has missed so much international skating due to injury, and his 4CC skate was terrible. His only shot was with a host pick, which he could still get.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Unfortunate that Armin continues to get screwed in favor of Richard. They could have gotten 1 each instead of 2 for Rich and 0 for Armin.
    I agree! Armin was ahead of Richard at Nationals, and Richard didn't do well at 4CC, either. I think Armin should've gotten one.

I'm looking forward to Johnny and Rachael skating this year!

Custom Title
    I think Dornbush got two assignments because of his 2010-11 season and going to Worlds. Armin has still not established himself internationally at all.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Clearly he chose to stay junior. The Chinese federation tends to do that. Ditto Josh and Jason (makes sense for the latter)
    To be accurate, it is not that Yan chose to stay junior. It's a lunatic Chinese Federation that forced him to do JGP/JW for at least another season
    Last edited by Gliding on ice; 05-21-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast