Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: GP 2012 assignments

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding on ice View Post
    To be accurate, it is not that Yan chose to stay junior. It's a lunatic Chinese Federation that forced him to do JGP/JW for at least another season
    Will this hurt Han Yan? I don't think so.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post
    I kind of think Mirai should've gotten Skate America instead of Rachael or Christina because I think that Mirai has so much potential, but I do hope that Rachael does well. I commend her for trying to skate and attend college at the same time - that's tough. Also kind of surprised Alissa got one spot because she made the GPF the last two years, but I definitely understand why.
    Mirai and Rachael are about even, when you look at it. Outside of Rachael's disaster on the GP last year:

Rachael has made GPF once. Mirai has not.
    Rachael has four silver GP medals (COR 2008, SA 2009, 2010, NHK 2010) to Mirai's two silver (TEB 2010, COC 2011)
    Rachael has beat Mirai in 3/4 Senior National competitions (2008 being the one where Mirai beat Rachael. Though one could argue that she should have won in 2010).

Mirai has beat Rachael in major international competition however:
    2011 4CC (Mirai bronze, Rachael 4th)
    2010 Worlds (Mirai, 7th, Rachael 9th)
    2010 Olympics (Mirai 4th, Rachael 7th)

Mirai has a lot of potential, but she has yet to really capitalize on it. I think they chose to spread the wealth rather than give Mirai a second event.

Rachael had a really bad season last fall, but otherwise, she has proven to be a tough competitor. I could see why USFS would want to give her a chance.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think this is the worst scenario for Yan. He has won JW, all his JGP assignments, and two silvers at JGPF. He also has a great foundation (i.e. skating skills, jumps, muscality, etc) to that he would continue to build on only with experience from the senior arena. There is nothing he can gain from staying junior for another year.

Still hoping for a miracle that Yan will get the last COC host pick, although this hope is probably equating to waiting for the Sun to rise from the west.
    Last edited by Gliding on ice; 05-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think Dornbush got two assignments because of his 2010-11 season and going to Worlds. Armin has still not established himself internationally at all.
    Well, Rich did better than Armin internationally last year, but neither medaled anywhere. Armin did far better than Rich at Nationals. I'm less upset about Rich getting 2 spots than Armin getting 0, particularly because the assignment discrepancy seems to be based on more than results. As a parent of a glbt child it frustrates me because I hate seeing people get punished for not being "marketable" because of how they act or their ethnic background.
    Last edited by drivingmissdaisy; 05-21-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    No, it won't. China can only send 1 man to Worlds anyways. If Song disappoints this fall, Yan can go to Worlds instead. He can do JGP and then senior Worlds, however new rules allow that a skater can NOT do senior GP and then junior worlds anymore. If only one of Song or Yan can go to Worlds anyways, why make Yan go senior when he only had 1 GP guarantee and it would prevent him from going to junior worlds should Song get the Worlds spot? It is a very logical decision considering the new rules. If Yan moved senior, either he or Song would be out of luck in regards to Worlds, and then China would be relying on He Zhang to secure maximum JGP assignments at junior worlds. This way they can chose to send either Song or Yan to Worlds without eliminating the possibility of sending Yan to junior worlds if he doesn't go to senior worlds.

Anyways as much as I would like to see Farris and Brown on the senior GP, I'm sure they have a strategy with their coaches and their decisions were well thought out. If none of the other guys step it up, those two can kick butt at Nationals and be sent to senior Worlds regardless of staying on the JGP in the fall. If it doesn't happen? Then off to Junior Worlds they go. It's actually a pretty logical decision IMO. I mean Josh could maybe even win medals on the GP, but I doubt he'd make the GPF, and he could have only ended up with 1 assignment, so this way it's safer.

Armin had a terrible GP season and Ricky's was ok, but Ricky has a high WS from the season before when he won the JGPF and was 9th at Worlds, so he had 1 guarantee while Armin had none, so Armin really only did better at Nationals, and that isn't really considered for GP selection, so that's why he is out of luck in regards to the GP this season. As for Ricky, he likely would have only gotten 1 assignment if any of Farris, Brown, or Yan had moved up as they all had 1 assignment guaranteed each and probably a good shot at getting 2, but they are all doing JGP again, so that opened spots up so he was able to get a 2nd.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    No, it won't. China can only send 1 man to Worlds anyways. If Song disappoints this fall, Yan can go to Worlds instead. He can do JGP and then senior Worlds, however new rules allow that a skater can NOT do senior GP and then junior worlds anymore. If only one of Song or Yan can go to Worlds anyways, why make Yan go senior when he only had 1 GP guarantee and it would prevent him from going to junior worlds should Song get the Worlds spot? It is a very logical decision considering the new rules. If Yan moved senior, either he or Song would be out of luck in regards to Worlds, and then China would be relying on He Zhang to secure maximum JGP assignments at junior worlds. This way they can chose to send either Song or Yan to Worlds without eliminating the possibility of sending Yan to junior worlds if he doesn't go to senior worlds.
    I thought China would come up with the best solution though I wasn't clear on this. Thank you so much for explaining it!

Custom Title
    Ice Network has Johnny's new (married) name as Weir-Voronov but the ISU still has him listed as Johnny Weir. Who's right? Then again, even IN still has his bio listed under Weir.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Ice Network has Johnny's new (married) name as Weir-Voronov but the ISU still has him listed as Johnny Weir. Who's right? Then again, even IN still has his bio listed under Weir.
    Hard to say whether either version is "right" or "wrong".
    His official Twitter URL does not include Voronov. http://twitter.com/#!/JohnnyGWeir
    But soon after his marriage, he changed his Twitter "profile" name to Johnny Weir-Voronov.
    His Twitter feed has a link to his website, and its URL does not include Voronov. The name at the top of the home page for his website also remains Johnny Weir.
    The USFSA press release re GP assignments uses Weir-Voronov ...

Custom Title
    There IS a reasonable explanation why Takahashi #2/ Hanyu #3 are at NHK and Joubert #4 / Amodio #5 are at TEB: HOST PICK is the very first step in the selection process.

In the host pick selection, Japan chose their two top men, and France chose their two top men. It is not against the rules (and it has happened in the past).

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    This reasoning looks perfect on paper. However, over the years, all I learned from the Chinese Federation is that it's impossible to reason out their decisions on assignments. Even if Song disappoints this fall, the Federation would think that Yan lacks the experience competing at senior level, hence still sending Song to Worlds. Just look at that despite Jialiang Wu's disappointing results at Nationals (4th place) and a lackluster season, China still sent him to the 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy, hoping to get 1 spot for men to the 2010 Olympics. It was not surprising that Wu disappointed the federation again.

At Junior Worlds, China could rely on both He Zhang and Boyang Jin (already has the triple Axel and the quad in his arsenal) to secure maximum JGP assignments. Plus, China never fully used their men's JGP slots since they usually just send skaters to the 4 JGPs that have pair skating. What's the point of securing maximum JGP slots if they will go wasted?

IMHO, it's in the Chinese Federation's best interest to help both Yan and Song secure 2 GP assignments (COC host pick + another assignment) and see how they fare in the fall before deciding who gets go to Worlds. It's very possible that a decision still can't be made, but the Federation can look at their performances at the nationals and 4CC before making the final call. It's more fair this way as Yan will get the Senior experience he needs and China won't be relying just on Song.
    Last edited by Gliding on ice; 05-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    They [Brown and Farris] can still have a shot at the 2014 Olympic team if they compete in the JGP this season. Lysacek competed in the JGP the season before the 2006 Olympic season and he went on to place 4th at the 2006 Olympics. It is better to gain experience competing in the JGP than have only one GP event.
    That's incorrect about Evan. In the season before the 2006 Olympic season (2004-05), Evan did the senior Grand Prix: Skate America and Cup of Russia.

I'm glad Gracie and Caroline both got 2 events. I don't think Mirai should have gotten 2 events over Christina or Rachael's host pick. Mirai has had a number of chances and always seems to fall short.. She's someone who needs a few wake-up calls here and there, and having just one GP event won't hurt her much if she can bring it at Nationals (plus she's highly regarded by USFSA anyway). I haven't lost hope in Christina Gao either - she has grown a lot over the past few seasons and had an injury last summer that hurt her all season, but I'm hoping she'll finally settle in next season..

Excited to see how the Russian trio of Adelina, Liza, and Julia do next season. Glad that Polina K and Polina S have moved up to seniors as well. I love Polina K and hope she gets the last TBA in Rostelecom Cup! Another question: who is China saving their TBA for? Considering the fact that Li Zijun has been one of the top Chinese ladies for the past few seasons, why does she only have one event and not even a host pick? Kexin Zhang already has two events.. hope to see Li Zijun in CoC!

Rinkside
    Don't worry, Zijun will definitely get the last TBA at COC

Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    I'm glad Gracie and Caroline both got 2 events. I don't think Mirai should have gotten 2 events over Christina or Rachael's host pick. Mirai has had a number of chances and always seems to fall short.. She's someone who needs a few wake-up calls here and there, and having just one GP event won't hurt her much if she can bring it at Nationals (plus she's highly regarded by USFSA anyway). I haven't lost hope in Christina Gao either - she has grown a lot over the past few seasons and had an injury last summer that hurt her all season, but I'm hoping she'll finally settle in next season..

Excited to see how the Russian trio of Adelina, Liza, and Julia do next season. Glad that Polina K and Polina S have moved up to seniors as well. I love Polina K and hope she gets the last TBA in Rostelecom Cup! Another question: who is China saving their TBA for? Considering the fact that Li Zijun has been one of the top Chinese ladies for the past few seasons, why does she only have one event and not even a host pick? Kexin Zhang already has two events.. hope to see Li Zijun in CoC!

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    From Johnny's Wikipedia page: "Weir's representative said, 'The couple has taken the new surname, Weir-Voronov, but professionally, Johnny will continue to be known as Johnny Weir.'"

So it sounds like it's Johnny Weir, but I guess either would be fine.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post
    From Johnny's Wikipedia page: "Weir's representative said, 'The couple has taken the new surname, Weir-Voronov, but professionally, Johnny will continue to be known as Johnny Weir.'"

So it sounds like it's Johnny Weir, but I guess either would be fine.
    Ah the dilemma of professional/ and personal identity. I'm Mrs. P officially by marriage, but I maintain my Ms. H name for career reasons. There are times I don't know which name to use!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast