GP 2012 assignments | Page 6 | Golden Skate

GP 2012 assignments

deedee1

Record Breaker
To be honset, I have a mixed feeling on the Mens line-up at NHK and TEB.

2011-12 season JSF did not seem (to me) to mind at all Takahiko and Daisuke going head to head at NHK. Taka, as the national champ and reigning world silver medalist, rightfully was the first pick. So was Dai from 4-6th seeded skaters. I had no complain this past season. Besides, they wanted some hot PR: a battle between the former champ vs new champ, right?

But picking Yuzuru and Dai for NHK again, letting them go against each other, I have to wonder what's on their mind??? They did not see what happened to Taka losing his confidence both at SA and NHK, then rather disastrous (sorry if sounded too harsh, I meant 'disastrous' for Taka's standard) showing at worlds, did they? :confused: It hurt him a lot on the international circiut, especially his PCS, which was already his weaker fields compared to Dai, except SS of course. Taka this season ended up windening his gap with Patrick, instead of closing it...

When JSF announced Sendai as the venue for next year's NHK, their picking Yuzuru was a sort of settled matter, considering the earthquake and tsunami, Yuzu is the future of our boys with realistic shot for podium at Sochi, and future superstar after Mao and Dai, blah blah blah, which we do not argue. But they should have known it would mean the national champ or the highest ranked boy from the worlds is to try to beat Yuzu or vice versa, in order to go advance to GPF, unless of course Yuzu himself won the national which he did not. In either way it will surely hurt one of them internationally, just like Taka/Dai this season. :no:

What I want to tell (scream) JSF guys is: "if Yuzuru is the first pick prior to GP assignment for you (which is understandable to anyone), just do it and leave Daisuke to other GP. Explain it to Dai, he perfectly understands it and accepts without complaining or whining to the media."

OT but they also sent Dai to Skate Canada, knowing he was to get beaten up by Patrick this season. Someone earlier mentioned elsewhere that Dai got no love from JSF, I kind of have to agree. Two years in a row, it looks to me JSF is ready to de-throne Daisuke anytime soon if he does not get to perform well. I personally do not mind if Dai ever will win another world title or how he will place at Sochi, because he is a dream skater for me and remains one of the all time great skaters in my heart, with or without another title/medals. Same goes to Brian, at least for me.

Sorry guys if I sounded too much. I feel a bit hopeless and pessimistic today, owing to the rainy morning here maybe...
Considering all the results and contributions to their federations, their love and devotion for this sport over the years, skaters like Daisuke Takahashi and Brian Joubert DO deserve a bit more of respect from their own federation and ISU. That probably is what gets on my nerve.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Apparently there's some buzz on FSU (as some of you have seen) that Josh Farris did want to move up to Senior GP but was denied an event. He is technically eligible for at least one event as he has a top 24 SB as well as medaling at junior worlds. This is an interesting development....wonder if Josh or his team will file a complaint...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mrs. P, to whom should Josh complain? USFS? the ISU? or both? The USA has a TBA spot that they could give to Josh, but they'd have to make a deal, perhaps with Canada, which also has a TBA spot, to get him a second spot.

It's depressing that Dornbush got 2 spots from other federations (JPN and RUS) and Josh none.

OTOH, I'm glad that Ross got two spots this year, and I hope he'll make the most of them!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mrs. P, to whom should Josh complain? USFS? the ISU? or both? The USA has a TBA spot that they could give to Josh, but they'd have to make a deal, perhaps with Canada, which also has a TBA spot, to get him a second spot.

It's depressing that Dornbush got 2 spots from other federations (JPN and RUS) and Josh none.

OTOH, I'm glad that Ross got two spots this year, and I hope he'll make the most of them!

I think USFS. If his name had been submitted, he would have gotten at least 1 assignment, unless there was some kind of snafu in the selection process and the ISU made a clerical error of sorts. More likely USFS didn't submit his name, my hunch is they probably want to keep him eligible for JW so they can send him should he not make 4CC or Worlds and rely on him to get maximum JGP slots for the next season. Also, there aren't that many JGP eligible men in the US this season, or at least not many strong ones, it's basically Brown, Chen, Choate, Yostanto, and that's it, so maybe USFS made a deal with his coaches that they would make sure Josh got 2 JGP assignments (regardless of his placement at the 1st which is usually the determiner for 2nd assignments) if he stayed on the JGP. Beyond the JW issue, keeping Josh from going to the GP also opens up spots for other US men to get assignments (Rippon, Miner, Dornbush were all only guaranteed 1 but each got 2) and USFS is desperate to have a man that is competitive with the asian superstars, and without 2 assignments they can't even qualify for the GPF, and obviously they want as many US men at the GPF as possible, and further Josh is likely to qualify for the JGPF again which also makes the federation look good. Idk, seems selfish, but I can think of a lot of reasons why USFS would not submit his name, even though I think it's beat b/c Josh honestly deserved 2 senior GP invites after last season, and probably could have gotten then had his name been submitted...

phaeljones

On the Ice
The three biggest surprises for me of all the choices are in the men's.

I think it is incrediblely risky to put Yuzuru and Takahashi together at NHK. Yuzuru is a tough hombre, but he is also young, emotional and malleable. His talent is very precious and something to be nurtured. You don't mess with it unnecessarily. He has a real shot at gold in Sochi if he stays on track. Putting him in a situation against his national rival where it is basically win big or lose big is risky. As well, I like Takahashi but he is in his sunset years . . . still good enough to do well and win, but JSF should be setting his schedule to be more graceful, because he is on the verge of fading. (Not a question of if but when.) NHK has the potential to be a showdown with not very graceful repercussions. Sure, both of these skaters are tough stuff, and if there are any skaters who can shoot back, it is probably these two, but why take the risk with such high calibre skaters who do so much for the sport and representing their countries. Yuzu should have gotten Sendai, and Takahashi should have been placed somewhere else.

The second surprise is that Armin really got screwed. I don't think the ASF represents its skaters very well. At times, it seems more prone than the other skating federations to flights of dementia.

The third surprise, another USF blunder, for me is Weir getting two slots after two years of the red carpet. Weir has always been one of my favourite skaters on and off the ice, but he left the rink. His coming back is fine, but two slots? He does not have a lot of years in him, and the United States should stay focussed on rebuilding. That happens through its up and comers, not its post retirees. For the U.S., there seems to be a huge gap for men's between what goes on in juniors and what happens in seniors (they are not well making the transition), and the American Skating Federation seems to be looking everywhere but at that gap and how to fix it.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Neither wins?

Well gmyers "win" is against each other (Plush and Chan).
But you reminded me that I sorcerer also tried to get all the possibilities but left out another unlikely and yet another very unlikely possibility where Chan withdraws (either once or twice where Plush appears) and no win nor lose happens.

[When Plush appears 2 games]
Plush wins twice (CoR and Wlds) ... gmyers'
Plush wins once, loses once ... gmyers'
Plush loses twice ... gmyers'
Plush wins once, Chan withdraws one to get no win-lose
Plush loses once, Chan withdraws one to get no win-lose ... included in gmyers'

[When Plush appears 1 game]
Plush loses once (only one game) ... gmyers'
Plush wins once (CoR or Wlds)
Chan withdraws that game to get no win-lose

[Plush appears no game]
No win-lose

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The third surprise, another USF blunder, for me is Weir getting two slots after two years of the red carpet. Weir has always been one of my favourite skaters on and off the ice, but he left the rink. His coming back is fine, but two slots? He does not have a lot of years in him, and the United States should stay focussed on rebuilding. That happens through its up and comers, not its post retirees. For the U.S., there seems to be a huge gap for men's between what goes on in juniors and what happens in seniors (they are not well making the transition), and the American Skating Federation seems to be looking everywhere but at that gap and how to fix it.
Johnny Weir got two GP assignments because he is a comeback skater as defined by the ISU. Copy-pasting from last year's GP announcement, section 2.1c:
“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 at any previous ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons are allowed to re-enter the Grand Prix if they commit to participating in 2 Grand Prix events. A come-back under this clause is allowed only once for any skater. Subsequent to the come-back season, the skater will be considered only by his /her placement on the official lists (seeded or World Standing points, etc.). If the skater is no longer on the list, he/she will not be considered for a Grand Prix event. Such so called “come back skaters/couples” will not substitute any of the seeded skaters/couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum score.
Johnny obviously fits the criteria, so he was able to receive two assignments under this provision - actually, he is required to do two rather than one. This has nothing to do with the USFS, though I imagine they are probably quite happy to have him back.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Johnny obviously fits the criteria, so he was able to receive two assignments under this provision - actually, he is required to do two rather than one. This has nothing to do with the USFS, though I imagine they are probably quite happy to have him back.

Thanks. Got it. Much appreciated.

rosem

Spectator
Unfortunate that Armin continues to get screwed in favor of Richard. They could have gotten 1 each instead of 2 for Rich and 0 for Armin.

Well, this time Armin is screwed for the SA assignment in favor of Rozzano. USFSA rational for cutting Armin off 4CC was that Ricky had a better international competition than Armin. I wonder what are they saying now for giving the SA assignment to Rozzano since he’s 59 in WR and Armin is 44 and he came 5th in national (Armin was 4th) ?:(
A friend of mine lives in CS and goes to rink where Armin , Agnes, Max… skates. We had a conversation about how everyone is doing, she was telling me how easy Armin is landing 4t and she saw him rehearsing one of his program with landing 4t so easily (didn’t know was short or long).
Unfortunately it seems that USFSA is making sure that Armin does not get a chance to get back out there. For whatever reason it maybe it’s unconscionable that they keep screwing this kid!

SHAME ON!

rosem

Spectator
No, it won't. China can only send 1 man to Worlds anyways. If Song disappoints this fall, Yan can go to Worlds instead. He can do JGP and then senior Worlds, however new rules allow that a skater can NOT do senior GP and then junior worlds anymore. If only one of Song or Yan can go to Worlds anyways, why make Yan go senior when he only had 1 GP guarantee and it would prevent him from going to junior worlds should Song get the Worlds spot? It is a very logical decision considering the new rules. If Yan moved senior, either he or Song would be out of luck in regards to Worlds, and then China would be relying on He Zhang to secure maximum JGP assignments at junior worlds. This way they can chose to send either Song or Yan to Worlds without eliminating the possibility of sending Yan to junior worlds if he doesn't go to senior worlds.

Anyways as much as I would like to see Farris and Brown on the senior GP, I'm sure they have a strategy with their coaches and their decisions were well thought out. If none of the other guys step it up, those two can kick butt at Nationals and be sent to senior Worlds regardless of staying on the JGP in the fall. If it doesn't happen? Then off to Junior Worlds they go. It's actually a pretty logical decision IMO. I mean Josh could maybe even win medals on the GP, but I doubt he'd make the GPF, and he could have only ended up with 1 assignment, so this way it's safer.

Armin had a terrible GP season and Ricky's was ok, but Ricky has a high WS from the season before when he won the JGPF and was 9th at Worlds, so he had 1 guarantee while Armin had none, so Armin really only did better at Nationals, and that isn't really considered for GP selection, so that's why he is out of luck in regards to the GP this season. As for Ricky, he likely would have only gotten 1 assignment if any of Farris, Brown, or Yan had moved up as they all had 1 assignment guaranteed each and probably a good shot at getting 2, but they are all doing JGP again, so that opened spots up so he was able to get a 2nd.

Maybe if USFS had given Armin the 4CC opportunity like they did with Zang then maybe Armin could have earned the points as well for 1 GP assignment. But your rational does not hold since USFS gave Rozzano the 2012 SA GP as he has a much lower WS than Armin.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I felt this way for a while but now I'm actually sensing a turning of the tides: 4CC over Czisny, and 2 GP assignments. I don't know that the USFSA would have always made these choices for Caroline...

The USFSA chose Caroline over Alissa for 4CC, and she delivered. However, her 2 GP events are outside the United States, so the USFSA did not choose them. If Caroline can make a respectable showing at the GP, she might finally receive a litte more favorable treatment at Nationals.

About Weir's situation, I think the rules only require that a comeback skater must be prepared to accept two invitations if they are offered. I don't think there is any rule forcing event organizers to invite such skaters if they don't want to. Similarly, I am not sure how much clout the USFSA has with other federations to pressure them to invite Weir rather than someone slde.

The Russian and French competitions evidently thought that this publicity-generating skater would be a good choice for their events.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I'm glad that Kaetlyn Osmond was choose for Skate Canada. She deserved it :clap:

And, I'm sure that she will shine at this event just like Gracie :rock:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I wonder what are they saying now for giving the SA assignment to Rozzano since he’s 59 in WR and Armin is 44 and he came 5th in national (Armin was 4th) ?:(
Douglas Razzano was slightly higher on the ISU Season Best scores list -- #38 (192.95 at Skate America) to Mahbanoozadeh's #41 (185.58 at NHK Trophy) and he also placed 7th to Armin's 10th at Skate America -- this could be why Razzano was selected for Skate America as a host pick, but I'm just guessing here.

A friend of mine lives in CS and goes to rink where Armin , Agnes, Max… skates. We had a conversation about how everyone is doing, she was telling me how easy Armin is landing 4t and she saw him rehearsing one of his program with landing 4t so easily (didn’t know was short or long).
That's great to hear! Armin Mahbanoozadeh recently uploaded a video of him landing a quad toe in practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjY4zaWW244
He can still prove himself and do well this season if he keeps focused and working hard -- I'm rooting for him!

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I still think USFS should either left a TBA open for SA, or given Nagasu a 2nd event over Gao.

Why? Gao finished higher than Nagasu at Nat. Nagasu doesn't even have a coach. Her situation does not warrant 2 events. No big time coach wants to take her anymore.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The USFSA chose Caroline over Alissa for 4CC, and she delivered. However, her 2 GP events are outside the United States, so the USFSA did not choose them. If Caroline can make a respectable showing at the GP, she might finally receive a litte more favorable treatment at Nationals.

No she won't. She made GPF and still got rock for that effort.