Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: GP 2012 assignments

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    There IS a reasonable explanation why Takahashi #2/ Hanyu #3 are at NHK and Joubert #4 / Amodio #5 are at TEB: HOST PICK is the very first step in the selection process.

In the host pick selection, Japan chose their two top men, and France chose their two top men. It is not against the rules (and it has happened in the past).
    Can you provide examples from seasons that didn't have the option for three GPs? Because I operated under the impression that regardless, the top three couldn't see each other and the next three couldn't see each other. Most federations, even when they've had the opportunity, have separated the skaters anyway.

So excited about the return of Miki Ando. Nevertheless, I am a bit worried cause she's going to be skating in strong events, going head-to-head with Kostner (Cup of China and Eric Bompard). Hope that can give her an extra motivation.

What about Plushenko? I thought he was going to be on the list for the Rostelecom. Maybe his presence will only be announced later. :s

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    i am glad that caroline got 2, but i can't help but feel skate canada will screw her again.
    Caroline usually does better at international competitions than national ones. That's one factor that makes her unique.
    I think she will have a big problem at next year's Nationals however. She will have to contend with the other girls' National inflation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    They're doing Rostelecom Cup. So it's not an all Asian GP series. Not surprised about the NHK invite -- this is their third year in a row doing that event! They had a decent draw -- they have a good chance at silver at both events. Their biggest competition will be I/K at both events. They will face V/M in Russia and D/W in Japan.
    Thanks for the correction, Mrs. P. I guess that allays my concern!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Can you provide examples from seasons that didn't have the option for three GPs? Because I operated under the impression that regardless, the top three couldn't see each other and the next three couldn't see each other. Most federations, even when they've had the opportunity, have separated the skaters anyway.
    2005 NHK trophy is one example. Both Suguri (5th at worlds) and Ando (6th) competed. From the 1-3 seeds, Kostner was assigned there. Therefore COC had only one seeded skater (Slutskaya). Since Arakawa and Asada were assigned to COC, it took some balance after all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Caroline usually does better at international competitions than national ones. That's one factor that makes her unique.
    I think she will have a big problem at next year's Nationals however. She will have to contend with the other girls' National inflation.
    I felt this way for a while but now I'm actually sensing a turning of the tides: 4CC over Czisny, and 2 GP assignments. I don't know that the USFSA would have always made these choices for Caroline...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding on ice View Post
    This reasoning looks perfect on paper. However, over the years, all I learned from the Chinese Federation is that it's impossible to reason out their decisions on assignments. Even if Song disappoints this fall, the Federation would think that Yan lacks the experience competing at senior level, hence still sending Song to Worlds. Just look at that despite Jialiang Wu's disappointing results at Nationals (4th place) and a lackluster season, China still sent him to the 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy, hoping to get 1 spot for men to the 2010 Olympics. It was not surprising that Wu disappointed the federation again.

At Junior Worlds, China could rely on both He Zhang and Boyang Jin (already has the triple Axel and the quad in his arsenal) to secure maximum JGP assignments. Plus, China never fully used their men's JGP slots since they usually just send skaters to the 4 JGPs that have pair skating. What's the point of securing maximum JGP slots if they will go wasted?

IMHO, it's in the Chinese Federation's best interest to help both Yan and Song secure 2 GP assignments (COC host pick + another assignment) and see how they fare in the fall before deciding who gets go to Worlds. It's very possible that a decision still can't be made, but the Federation can look at their performances at the nationals and 4CC before making the final call. It's more fair this way as Yan will get the Senior experience he needs and China won't be relying just on Song.
    Maybe Yan submitted his name and simply wasn't selected? I thought his SB and WR guaranteed him 1 assignment, but Josh Farris apparently submitted his name and wasn't selected despite being safely within the top 24 on the SB list so idk. I know they changed it so that JW medalists are no longer guaranteed a GP assignment, but AFAIK, being in the top 24 on the SB list OR WR list should GUARANTEE any skater submitting his/her name a GP assignment. Now I wonder if Jason Brown also submitted his name and was similarly shafted.

Custom Title
    Plushenko could be announced later or maybe he will skip the GP. What if he lost to Chan twice at COR and Worlds? Maybe he would only want to lose to Chan once and not twice. Or maybe he could beat him twice or beat him once and lose to him once.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Unfortunate that Armin continues to get screwed in favor of Richard. They could have gotten 1 each instead of 2 for Rich and 0 for Armin.
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    As for Dornbush he placed 4th & 6th in his 2011 GP assignments & he has a solid triple axle & a fair quad. I think he deserves 2 more assignments this year.
    But considering how Richard did at the Nationals then at 4CC in Colorado Springs, I believe Armin should at least get 1 assingment.
    Armin does not get any love from his fed... Yes, Richard has solid jumps including a qaud. At this point, however, I would much prefer Armin unless Richard can fix his posture and lines.

Custom Title
    Perhaps Mirai Nagasu might have a shot at a second GP. Although Alissa Czisny got an assignment at NHK, it's very unlikely that she would be sufficiently recovered from her surgery within six months to even get back to jump practices, let alone a competition. So that spot could be up for grabs. The JSF gets to make the choice of a substitute, usually based on the SB list. Mirai is #11 on the list---the highest rank skater without two GP events:

11 Mirai NAGASU
    14 Kiira KORPI
    15 Sofia BIRYUKOVA
    17 Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA
    19 Polina SHELEPEN
    24 Zijun LI
    26 Vanessa LAM
    30 Christina GAO
    37 Joshi HELGESSON
    38 Rachael FLATT

Custom Title
    To be honset, I have a mixed feeling on the Mens line-up at NHK and TEB.

2011-12 season JSF did not seem (to me) to mind at all Takahiko and Daisuke going head to head at NHK. Taka, as the national champ and reigning world silver medalist, rightfully was the first pick. So was Dai from 4-6th seeded skaters. I had no complain this past season. Besides, they wanted some hot PR: a battle between the former champ vs new champ, right?

But picking Yuzuru and Dai for NHK again, letting them go against each other, I have to wonder what's on their mind??? They did not see what happened to Taka losing his confidence both at SA and NHK, then rather disastrous (sorry if sounded too harsh, I meant 'disastrous' for Taka's standard) showing at worlds, did they? It hurt him a lot on the international circiut, especially his PCS, which was already his weaker fields compared to Dai, except SS of course. Taka this season ended up windening his gap with Patrick, instead of closing it...

When JSF announced Sendai as the venue for next year's NHK, their picking Yuzuru was a sort of settled matter, considering the earthquake and tsunami, Yuzu is the future of our boys with realistic shot for podium at Sochi, and future superstar after Mao and Dai, blah blah blah, which we do not argue. But they should have known it would mean the national champ or the highest ranked boy from the worlds is to try to beat Yuzu or vice versa, in order to go advance to GPF, unless of course Yuzu himself won the national which he did not. In either way it will surely hurt one of them internationally, just like Taka/Dai this season.

What I want to tell (scream) JSF guys is: "if Yuzuru is the first pick prior to GP assignment for you (which is understandable to anyone), just do it and leave Daisuke to other GP. Explain it to Dai, he perfectly understands it and accepts without complaining or whining to the media."

OT but they also sent Dai to Skate Canada, knowing he was to get beaten up by Patrick this season. Someone earlier mentioned elsewhere that Dai got no love from JSF, I kind of have to agree. Two years in a row, it looks to me JSF is ready to de-throne Daisuke anytime soon if he does not get to perform well. I personally do not mind if Dai ever will win another world title or how he will place at Sochi, because he is a dream skater for me and remains one of the all time great skaters in my heart, with or without another title/medals. Same goes to Brian, at least for me.

Sorry guys if I sounded too much. I feel a bit hopeless and pessimistic today, owing to the rainy morning here maybe...
    Considering all the results and contributions to their federations, their love and devotion for this sport over the years, skaters like Daisuke Takahashi and Brian Joubert DO deserve a bit more of respect from their own federation and ISU. That probably is what gets on my nerve.
    Last edited by deedee1; 05-21-2012 at 11:07 PM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    ... Maybe he would only want to lose to Chan once and not twice. Or maybe he could beat him twice or beat him once and lose to him once.
    You left out one unlikely possibility and one very unlikely possibility.

Apparently there's some buzz on FSU (as some of you have seen) that Josh Farris did want to move up to Senior GP but was denied an event. He is technically eligible for at least one event as he has a top 24 SB as well as medaling at junior worlds. This is an interesting development....wonder if Josh or his team will file a complaint...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    I tried to get them all!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    Neither wins?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast