Skate Detroit 2012 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit 2012

Arianne

On the Ice
I thought I'd start a thread for Skate Detroit which runs the week of July 23rd. I am planning to go. I loved watching this club competition last year, it's so up close and personal! Anyway, post here when you hear of a skater that will be coming to this competition. It may be too early for many entries, but I'm hoping there will be some rising stars that come. Last year, Gracie Gold competed at Skate Detroit and blew everyone away.

Tim Dolensky has announced that he will skate here.

macy

Record Breaker
i will be there too if i do not have school. i live just over an hour away so it's an easy drive. hannah miller will most likely be there, she is every year. currently she is working on a new short as her previous "new" one did not work out. her long program music is fantastic though.

Arianne

On the Ice
Yes, it will be great to see Hannah again if she able to make it. Nina Jiang also said that she make an appearance at Skate Detroit. The deadline for registration without late fees has just passed, so maybe we will start to hear which skaters are registered!

macy

Record Breaker
sk8stuff.com posts schedules asap, but we won't know until closer to the competition, most likely about a week prior. Don (the owner) also posts results and pictures.

Arianne

On the Ice
Yes, sk8stuff.com was a great resource for Skate Detroit last year. I'm glad that he was able to post schedules and results! I'm heading to DSC next Thursday to watch their annual skating show! : )

Arianne

On the Ice
Anyone heard of any other skaters that are registered for Skate Detroit?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought I'd start a thread for Skate Detroit which runs the week of July 23rd. I am planning to go. ... Last year, Gracie Gold competed at Skate Detroit and blew everyone away.

Per her IN blog re Skate Milwaukee, Gracie Gold will debut her free skate at Skate Detroit.
Have a great time, Arianne!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie debuted her SP at Milwaukee. 58 something for a popped 2A, step out on the 3+3, but overall an OK skate...

Selene

On the Ice
I live in the Detroit area and have never gone to Skate Detroit. I'm really interested in watching some of the competition this year. Is it free? Do you need tickets to attend? I'm hoping that somebody who has watched the competition before can give me some guidance. I'm most interested in watching the Senior Ladies event. I looked over the schedule - should I plan to go to the final round or would a skater like Gracie be skating in some of the initial rounds?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi Selene...admission to all of the events at the Skate Detroit competition are free - no ticket needed. The seats tend to fill up for the "big" events like the senior ladies and senior men so be sure to get there are least 15 minutes or more before the listed start time. Gracie Gold is scheduled for the short program and free skate so she should be skating Thursday and Friday night.

There is a nice grill service for snacks or food that is reasonable...tables are available in the lobby area or you can take food to the rink. Generally I've taken a few snacks like nuts or a small bag of chips but nothing like carry out from a fast food restaurant into the club.

Last year all of the senior level competitions were in the rink to the left of the snack bar so it will probably be the same this year. The junior events are usually in the rink off to the right of the lobby.

macy

Record Breaker
The junior final round was in the left rink last year, not sure about initial rounds. i'm about 100% positive skaters like gracie and hannah miller will be skating on saturday in the final round. i'm crossing my fingers that i either don't work or work early in the day on saturday so i can go down and watch. and cheer on my lansing sc girls of course :) super excited to see all who will be there.