Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Skate Detroit 2012

The competition looks great!

Custom Title
    I live in the Detroit area and have never gone to Skate Detroit. I'm really interested in watching some of the competition this year. Is it free? Do you need tickets to attend? I'm hoping that somebody who has watched the competition before can give me some guidance. I'm most interested in watching the Senior Ladies event. I looked over the schedule - should I plan to go to the final round or would a skater like Gracie be skating in some of the initial rounds?

Hi Selene...admission to all of the events at the Skate Detroit competition are free - no ticket needed. The seats tend to fill up for the "big" events like the senior ladies and senior men so be sure to get there are least 15 minutes or more before the listed start time. Gracie Gold is scheduled for the short program and free skate so she should be skating Thursday and Friday night.

There is a nice grill service for snacks or food that is reasonable...tables are available in the lobby area or you can take food to the rink. Generally I've taken a few snacks like nuts or a small bag of chips but nothing like carry out from a fast food restaurant into the club.

Last year all of the senior level competitions were in the rink to the left of the snack bar so it will probably be the same this year. The junior events are usually in the rink off to the right of the lobby.

The junior final round was in the left rink last year, not sure about initial rounds. i'm about 100% positive skaters like gracie and hannah miller will be skating on saturday in the final round. i'm crossing my fingers that i either don't work or work early in the day on saturday so i can go down and watch. and cheer on my lansing sc girls of course super excited to see all who will be there.

Rinkside
    Does anyone have results yet??? or know where they will be posted??

Custom Title
    This Twitter is posting results. http://twitter.com/sylviaunseen

Gracie was fabulous! 3flip/3toe, 2a, Rippon 3lutz. She earned over 62! Becky Bereswill seems top have greatly improved. She eared 50.?? Points for her sp that included a 3lutz/2toe, 2 axel, and 3 salchow. I also enjoyed watching Amanda Dobbs. She scored in the low forties, but I thought her presentation and skating skills should have earned her more points.

It was a disappointing sp for Yankowskis/Reagan. They missed their throw and Reagan missed his triple toe. Hope their long goes better!

Good to know Gracie is "breaking in" her SP after a less than perfect outing in Milwaukee to start the season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by expressionbiz View Post
    Welcome to Golden Skate, expressionbiz!

Post long & often!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    mskater93, I'm interested to hear that Gracie landed her Rippon triple lutz here, too.

Custom Title
    Is Gracie going to leave the Rippon triple lutz in for competition? I never liked it when Rippon did it it's just to showy for me.

Custom Title
    Thanks for sharing, Arianne - I hope you will post more first-hand impressions/highlights!

Quote Originally Posted by expressionbiz View Post
    I'm compiling all the results I receive here: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...s-in-progress/
    The official results will be published after the competition, hopefully next week, here: http://evt.sk8stuff.com/lister_event_detail.asp?id=4475

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Is Gracie going to leave the Rippon triple lutz in for competition?
    I hope so! She can get extra + GOE if she executes it well.

Custom Title
    I would rather that Gracie work on her lines and relating to the music she is skating to then something like the Rippon lutz.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I would rather that Gracie work on her lines and relating to the music she is skating to then something like the Rippon lutz.
    Too late! No reason why she can't do both.

I heard Alex Johnson landed 3A, 3F+2T & 3Lz in his winning Senior Men's SP to Gershwin's "Concerto in F" for piano and orchestra. He will debut an "Eleanor Rigby" FS tomorrow.

Senior Men SP (12 competed today):
    Alexander Johnson 66.35, Andrei Rogozine (CAN) 65.72, Andrew Gonzales 64.31, Elladj Balde (CAN) 63.68, Timothy Dolensky 61.88, Christopher Berneck (GER) 52.94, Patrick Myzyk (POL) 51.66, William Brewster 45.95, Harry Mattick (GBR) 45.17, Shaquille Davis (CAN) 41.93, Benjamin Guthrie (CAN) 40.98, Caden Armstrong (CAN) 39.13. [WD: J Cassar, L Chilcott (GBR), L Firus (CAN), D Sheriff-Clayton (CAN)]

Senior Ladies SP top 8 from last night: Hannah Miller 56.72, Lauren Dinh 49.82, Ola Kamieniecki (POL) 45.38, Carly Gold 43.06, Amanda Dobbs 42.56, Kelsey McNeil (CAN) 42.18, Adriana DeSanctis (CAN) 41.18, Kate Charbonneau (CAN) 41.14

Senior Ladies SP B top 6 from last night: Gracie Gold 62.69, Kiri Baga 53.10, Becky Bereswill 50.64, Nina Jiang 49.11, Kaetlyn Osmond (CAN) 41.69, Gabrielle Daleman (CAN) 39.54
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Custom Title
    I went to the Senior Ladies B competition last night. It was a fun event. Only 13 skaters were in the group. Gracie Gold was first with 105 points. Kaetlyn Osmond was second with 90 points. Becky Bereswill was third with 80 points, and I didn't see Kiri Baga skate the LP.
    Last edited by Selene; 07-28-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast