Music Question Please (Miki Ando's slow section of Firebird & Oksana Baiul)... | Golden Skate

Music Question Please (Miki Ando's slow section of Firebird & Oksana Baiul)...

Nadine

Record Breaker
Music Question Please (Miki Ando's slow section of Firebird & Oksana Baiul)...

Please someone...

I've been desperate to find out for the past 6 yrs. (no lie) what hauntingly beautiful music was used during Oksana Baiul's 1997 Dateline Interview with Jane Pauley at the very beginning. It's the part where Jane is talking about Oksana and how she is an orphan, etc. (w/a video of Oksana in the background performing her famous donut spin)........then Jane says "Oksana Baiul, determined to make it on her own"........and fades to a haunting image of what I presume are Oksana's feet/skates/legs doing edging & performing a scratch spin in the dark, with a spotlight on them. And as this is going on there is the most heartbreakingly beautiful music that I have ever heard accompanying this image, with Oksana's disembodied voice saying in her poignant broken English ~ "I have only one life...and I want to express myself...and I'm not afraid."

The above piece of music has haunted me since I first heard it back in 1997. I was a PCV stationed over in Paraguay, South America during this time. And I recall how I had come to Asuncion (the capital of Paraguay) for that once a month trip to pick up my mail and check-in at Headquarters. And oh how excited was I when I received my first skating tape from my sister. On it was the most poignant interview Oksana has ever done. But what has haunted me all these years is that music......and then I just recently heard it again (at least I think so) during Miki Ando's FS......the exact part where the slow section begins. Can this be the same music??? :confused: If so, it must be Stravinsky's "Firebird". However, I'm not sure. Thus, I implore someone that knows to tell me so. I will be forever grateful (no lie). Thank You in advance.

Peace, Love & Sincerely, Nadine

"Then the curtain rose again, and as long as I live I'll never forget the roar. A firestorm of applause erupted in the City Center, and the audience was on its feet clapping, stomping, and shouting." - Memoir of Maria Tallchief (America's first prima ballerina) when she danced Firebird.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hi giseledepkat, :)

Unfortunately, I don't use the PM service.....sorry......however I managed to receive a message from you somehow. Thank you for the offer but I regretfully decline. But I sincerely appreciate your kindness (no lie).

Peace, Love & Gratefully Yours, Nadine

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Okay -- but if Miki Ando's FS ends up getting shown at World's (fingers crossed!), I hope you'll post this again -- maybe I or someone else can help you identify it then! :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for understanding giseledepkat, :)

And, yes, I too am hoping that Miki's "Firebird" is somehow shown on t.v.......crossing fingers also.......and you betcha I'll find this thread & ask this question again. Because I'd really like to know (no lie).

By the way, I've been so obsessed with that music since I viewed a clip of Miki's "Firebird" at Japan Nationals that I've resorted to browsing the net in search of which singles skaters have skated to it in the past. And so far my search has led me to the following:

Midori Ito - 1995/96, SP.

Tonia Kwiatkowski - 1994/95, SP & 1995/96, SP.

By the way, its been interesting to note that Miki has also skated to music of two of my other all-time favorites......Sarah Hughes & Oksana Baiul.......both skated to "Swan Lake", as did Miki in 2001/2002. And also "Bayadere", which both Sarah & Miki skated to in 2002/2003. :)^)

Peace & Love, Nadine

"without a sparrow in hands, they are striving to catch a crane in the sky (old saying). They (Japanese) don't have average achievements to hold onto." - Alexei Mishin commenting on Miki Ando's landing of the quad salchow.
http://homepage1.nifty.com/ando3/XmasStars2002/photo/miki_sp07.jpg