Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Ando's return highlights busy season ahead for Japan

  1. #1
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    75

    News Ando's return highlights busy season ahead for Japan


  2. #2
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,579
    Who do you expect to be 1, 2, 3 lady at japan's Nationals next year. best guess?

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Who do you expect to be 1, 2, 3 lady at japan's Nationals next year. best guess?
    Miki is a wildcard at this point.
    Nobody knows what kind of form she shows up at the Nats; physically and more importantly MENTALLY, you know...
    If it's true Miki is now Nikolai-free (on and off ice) and she is fully prepared by the end of December, she of course can win it.

    Rumored that Stephane Lambiel did the choreo for her SP and I am really looking forward to it! We may see the improved version of Miki who beautifully skated to Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence and looked so
    promising in the 2005-06 season.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUuE9...eature=related

    Who will be her coach, idk...but I would love that if she could join Team Nagamitsu in Osaka! She can improve skating skills, speed, edge work, and of course artistic side of her skating under Mrs. Nagamitsu. And Takeshi Honda surely will help her to regain jumps.

  4. #4
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,579
    I saw a lovely SOI skate 2012 on Youtube. Miki has been more than a jumper for a long time. I hope Mao comes back. Her "Jupiter" is just exquisite. It is so easy to love Mao. I think she is loved round the world. Miki looked lovely and very happy in her SOI skate. I think she has washed NM out of her hair. Good. I wonder if you see Akiko as the third lady? I love these 3, and find Haruka Imai lovely with a beautiful way of moving. I am not such a Kanako fan. She is fast but her positions are not lovely. The judges like her well enough. I so hope Mao does well in her GPFs. I hope she finds the motivation to continue having lost her beloved mother.
    Miki is your favorite Japanese lady?

  5. #5
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Miki is a wildcard at this point.
    Nobody knows what kind of form she shows up at the Nats; physically and more importantly MENTALLY, you know...
    If it's true Miki is now Nikolai-free (on and off ice) and she is fully prepared by the end of December, she of course can win it.

    Rumored that Stephane Lambiel did the choreo for her SP and I am really looking forward to it! We may see the improved version of Miki who beautifully skated to Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence and looked so
    promising in the 2005-06 season.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUuE9...eature=related

    Who will be her coach, idk...but I would love that if she could join Team Nagamitsu in Osaka! She can improve skating skills, speed, edge work, and of course artistic side of her skating under Mrs. Nagamitsu. And Takeshi Honda surely will help her to regain jumps.

  6. #6
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I saw a lovely SOI skate 2012 on Youtube. Miki has been more than a jumper for a long time. I hope Mao comes back. Her "Jupiter" is just exquisite. It is so easy to love Mao. I think she is loved round the world. Miki looked lovely and very happy in her SOI skate. I think she has washed NM out of her hair. Good. I wonder if you see Akiko as the third lady? I love these 3, and find Haruka Imai lovely with a beautiful way of moving. I am not such a Kanako fan. She is fast but her positions are not lovely. The judges like her well enough. I so hope Mao does well in her GPFs. I hope she finds the motivation to continue having lost her beloved mother.
    Miki is your favorite Japanese lady?
    Miki is my favorite Japanese lady but she seriously needs to decide whether she wants to goto Sochi or not. The Japanese ladies field is too deep for her not to be fully focused on her goals. She still seems to be unsure at this point and hopefully she will have a clear idea by nationals. It's my opinion the JSF will view Mao as #1 Miki as #2 Akiko/Kanako as #3-4. If she's not 100% prepared mentally then even though I love her she needs to step down and let other ladies who are below her have her spot.

  7. #7
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    59
    It seems she's been chatting alot with Daisuke, since he trained with Morozov for 3 yrs. In Dai's book he had thanked him for helping him overcome his self confidence issues. Dai wasn't sure after his departure and injury whether he would continue skating competively. Hopefully Dai will give her the emotional support she needs to decide for herself.

    Reading some articles about her and twitter, it seems she's looking for a reason to convince her to come back. The coaches, fans and others can be the rudder to help reach her destination. But she needs to find her desire to be a champion from within. The "wind in her sails" can only come from her and noone can give that to her.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,489
    I think it would be great if Miki came back, though she's not my favorite skater, or even my favorite Japanese skater. (That's Mao.) I agree that she'll need to be hungry in order to make her way through the next two years.

    If she maintains or regains her technical strength, she'll still be at or near the top. I hope she ends up with a Lambiel program and the Nagamitsu team! That will give her far more than mere mechanical superiority.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719
    New article on Miki. Reads:-

    Japanese star Ando set to make a reluctant return to competition, Lei Lei writes. Although she is listed as an entry for the 2012-2013 Grand Prix, Japan's two-time world champion skater Miki Ando says she is not ready for the series. The 24-year-old says she would now prefer to be an artist on ice rather than a competitor. "I don't care about what place I get in competitions now. I just care about how I perform in front of an audience," said Ando in Shanghai last weekend for the Art on Ice skating show. "I just want to show how I perform and if somebody can feel something from my skating, that's my goal, that's my best performance and why I dreamt of becoming a skater," she said. "I was quite busy last year, but I didn't train seriously. This year, I don't feel like I am ready for competition, but I signed a paper (with the International Skating Union) in case I want to do the Grand Prix circuit," Ando told China Daily. "I was planning to make a decision in June, but I didn't have the time to think about it. So, (I just signed it) just in case I wanted to compete. If I don't sign the paper, I can't go. I don't feel I want to compete yet, but I signed the contact, so I have no choice I will try my best. Let's see how it works out." She has set herself no targets for the coming season. "I don't have any goal right now. I have done my job and I think skaters don't have to be competitors because we are like artists. I really enjoy being a show skater," she said. "We all have to quit some day and I'm going to be 25 this year. It's a really hard age for a woman. I don't know, maybe my next goal will be to be a great skater in show skating. Of course, it's really good to be a competitor and get good results, medals and everything. But people have to understand we have to quit some day. We have a future and other choices. "I'm just thinking about the Grand Prix now. An Olympic gold medal is great, but it's so difficult. I don't know if I will attempt to go to the Sochi Olympics yet. So, maybe I will think about the Grand Prix final as the place to get another medal."

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,489
    That's interesting. I feel a bit bad for her if she's approaching this season halfheartedly, because that's a lot of hard work for something you're not devoted to. Is there outside pressure on her to compete, or does she just feel as if she doesn't know what else to do besides skate competitively? Perhaps her emotions are due to her breakup with Morosov. Maybe she just feels all at sea, and her determination will return soon.
    Last edited by Olympia; 06-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.

  11. #11
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,042

  12. #12
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,240
    Thanks for the link to a nice interview from Miki!

  13. #13
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,650
    Wow! What a thoughtful interview! Thanks so much!

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,125
    It doesn't sound very likely she's coming back? I don't know... too many doubts, too much uncertain terms. She skates from 1-3 "in the morning"? Does she really mean 1am?? Sounds like a crazy time to be on the ice and call it a 'morning session'.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    It doesn't sound very likely she's coming back? I don't know... too many doubts, too much uncertain terms. She skates from 1-3 "in the morning"? Does she really mean 1am?? Sounds like a crazy time to be on the ice and call it a 'morning session'.
    If Miki is training at Shin-Yokohama ice rink, then it must be true I think.

    Actually that's what Shizuka has been doing up until today and Yukari did when she was competing back then, because the ice rink at Shin-Yokohama opens for public during day time.
    If skaters, especially those who are at team Sato's, want to reserve private ice time, they can only reserve during midnight or very early in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •