Ando's return highlights busy season ahead for Japan | Golden Skate

Ando's return highlights busy season ahead for Japan

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Who do you expect to be 1, 2, 3 lady at japan's Nationals next year. best guess?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Who do you expect to be 1, 2, 3 lady at japan's Nationals next year. best guess?

Miki is a wildcard at this point.
Nobody knows what kind of form she shows up at the Nats; physically and more importantly MENTALLY, you know...
If it's true Miki is now Nikolai-free (on and off ice) and she is fully prepared by the end of December, she of course can win it.

Rumored that Stephane Lambiel did the choreo for her SP and I am really looking forward to it! We may see the improved version of Miki who beautifully skated to Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence and looked so
promising in the 2005-06 season. :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUuE9rtw0O0&feature=related

Who will be her coach, idk...but I would love that if she could join Team Nagamitsu in Osaka! She can improve skating skills, speed, edge work, and of course artistic side of her skating under Mrs. Nagamitsu. And Takeshi Honda surely will help her to regain jumps.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I saw a lovely SOI skate 2012 on Youtube. Miki has been more than a jumper for a long time. I hope Mao comes back. Her "Jupiter" is just exquisite. It is so easy to love Mao. I think she is loved round the world. Miki looked lovely and very happy in her SOI skate. I think she has washed NM out of her hair. Good. I wonder if you see Akiko as the third lady? I love these 3, and find Haruka Imai lovely with a beautiful way of moving. I am not such a Kanako fan. She is fast but her positions are not lovely. The judges like her well enough. I so hope Mao does well in her GPFs. I hope she finds the motivation to continue having lost her beloved mother.
Miki is your favorite Japanese lady?

redwing

Rinkside
Miki is a wildcard at this point.
Nobody knows what kind of form she shows up at the Nats; physically and more importantly MENTALLY, you know...
If it's true Miki is now Nikolai-free (on and off ice) and she is fully prepared by the end of December, she of course can win it.

Rumored that Stephane Lambiel did the choreo for her SP and I am really looking forward to it! We may see the improved version of Miki who beautifully skated to Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence and looked so
promising in the 2005-06 season. :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUuE9rtw0O0&feature=related

Who will be her coach, idk...but I would love that if she could join Team Nagamitsu in Osaka! She can improve skating skills, speed, edge work, and of course artistic side of her skating under Mrs. Nagamitsu. And Takeshi Honda surely will help her to regain jumps.

:biggrin:

redwing

Rinkside
I saw a lovely SOI skate 2012 on Youtube. Miki has been more than a jumper for a long time. I hope Mao comes back. Her "Jupiter" is just exquisite. It is so easy to love Mao. I think she is loved round the world. Miki looked lovely and very happy in her SOI skate. I think she has washed NM out of her hair. Good. I wonder if you see Akiko as the third lady? I love these 3, and find Haruka Imai lovely with a beautiful way of moving. I am not such a Kanako fan. She is fast but her positions are not lovely. The judges like her well enough. I so hope Mao does well in her GPFs. I hope she finds the motivation to continue having lost her beloved mother.
Miki is your favorite Japanese lady?

Miki is my favorite Japanese lady but she seriously needs to decide whether she wants to goto Sochi or not. The Japanese ladies field is too deep for her not to be fully focused on her goals. She still seems to be unsure at this point and hopefully she will have a clear idea by nationals. It's my opinion the JSF will view Mao as #1 Miki as #2 Akiko/Kanako as #3-4. If she's not 100% prepared mentally then even though I love her she needs to step down and let other ladies who are below her have her spot.

redwing

Rinkside
It seems she's been chatting alot with Daisuke, since he trained with Morozov for 3 yrs. In Dai's book he had thanked him for helping him overcome his self confidence issues. Dai wasn't sure after his departure and injury whether he would continue skating competively. Hopefully Dai will give her the emotional support she needs to decide for herself.

Reading some articles about her and twitter, it seems she's looking for a reason to convince her to come back. The coaches, fans and others can be the rudder to help reach her destination. But she needs to find her desire to be a champion from within. The "wind in her sails" can only come from her and noone can give that to her.

I think it would be great if Miki came back, though she's not my favorite skater, or even my favorite Japanese skater. (That's Mao.) I agree that she'll need to be hungry in order to make her way through the next two years.

If she maintains or regains her technical strength, she'll still be at or near the top. I hope she ends up with a Lambiel program and the Nagamitsu team! That will give her far more than mere mechanical superiority.

Mao88

Record Breaker
New article on Miki. Reads:-

Japanese star Ando set to make a reluctant return to competition, Lei Lei writes. Although she is listed as an entry for the 2012-2013 Grand Prix, Japan's two-time world champion skater Miki Ando says she is not ready for the series. The 24-year-old says she would now prefer to be an artist on ice rather than a competitor. "I don't care about what place I get in competitions now. I just care about how I perform in front of an audience," said Ando in Shanghai last weekend for the Art on Ice skating show. "I just want to show how I perform and if somebody can feel something from my skating, that's my goal, that's my best performance and why I dreamt of becoming a skater," she said. "I was quite busy last year, but I didn't train seriously. This year, I don't feel like I am ready for competition, but I signed a paper (with the International Skating Union) in case I want to do the Grand Prix circuit," Ando told China Daily. "I was planning to make a decision in June, but I didn't have the time to think about it. So, (I just signed it) just in case I wanted to compete. If I don't sign the paper, I can't go. I don't feel I want to compete yet, but I signed the contact, so I have no choice I will try my best. Let's see how it works out." She has set herself no targets for the coming season. "I don't have any goal right now. I have done my job and I think skaters don't have to be competitors because we are like artists. I really enjoy being a show skater," she said. "We all have to quit some day and I'm going to be 25 this year. It's a really hard age for a woman. I don't know, maybe my next goal will be to be a great skater in show skating. Of course, it's really good to be a competitor and get good results, medals and everything. But people have to understand we have to quit some day. We have a future and other choices. "I'm just thinking about the Grand Prix now. An Olympic gold medal is great, but it's so difficult. I don't know if I will attempt to go to the Sochi Olympics yet. So, maybe I will think about the Grand Prix final as the place to get another medal."

That's interesting. I feel a bit bad for her if she's approaching this season halfheartedly, because that's a lot of hard work for something you're not devoted to. Is there outside pressure on her to compete, or does she just feel as if she doesn't know what else to do besides skate competitively? Perhaps her emotions are due to her breakup with Morosov. Maybe she just feels all at sea, and her determination will return soon.

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
It doesn't sound very likely she's coming back? I don't know... too many doubts, too much uncertain terms. She skates from 1-3 "in the morning"? Does she really mean 1am?? Sounds like a crazy time to be on the ice and call it a 'morning session'.

deedee1

Record Breaker
It doesn't sound very likely she's coming back? I don't know... too many doubts, too much uncertain terms. She skates from 1-3 "in the morning"? Does she really mean 1am?? Sounds like a crazy time to be on the ice and call it a 'morning session'.

If Miki is training at Shin-Yokohama ice rink, then it must be true I think.

Actually that's what Shizuka has been doing up until today and Yukari did when she was competing back then, because the ice rink at Shin-Yokohama opens for public during day time.
If skaters, especially those who are at team Sato's, want to reserve private ice time, they can only reserve during midnight or very early in the morning.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I never would have thought of Miki Ando as the type of skater for Black Swan, but I have to say I found this lovely. The drama and weightiness of the music suits her and of course, Miki has always rocked black costumes. She loses momentum on her last combo spin but oh well. I'd love to see her skate to this music if she does come back this season. Maybe for the short program. I'd like to see her (and everyone else) use a non-warhorse for the long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KSV7lGzie0&feature=related

I agree that Miki looks just spectacular in black. The first time I saw her skating in a simple all-black practice outfit was the moment I realized how beautiful she really is. She has that wonderful feline Sophia Loren angularity to her face, with cheekbones she could auction off to any fashion model. Those fussy costumes don't do her justice, and I hope she finds a way to use black--the fabric doesn't matter; could be jersey, sequins, velvet, whatever--as her costume. I'm getting more and more excited at the thought of her coming back. She brings something strong and dramatic to the ice. Layfan, I join you in hoping she uses a non-warhorse for the long. And there are so many available!