1968 Olympics-Full Programs | Golden Skate

1968 Olympics-Full Programs

jcoates

Medalist
Some kind soul has posted the full programs of the top skaters in all three disciplines from the Grenoble Games as aired on Russian television. I've been searching for most of my adult life for these! I've only ever seen partial clips at best of most of the competitors except for the Protopopovs. I've had to satisfy myself with vids from that year's Worlds and Nationals for the longest time.

Great names like Fleming, the Protopopovs, John Misha Petkovic, Moskvina and Mishin (a very enjoyable pair with a glorious death spiral), etc. are all included.

Funny note: the commentator doing the voice over for the Moskvina/Mishin program mentions Tamara doing a "Beillmann" spin at the end of their routine. Heh, ironic since she was doing them in pairs and singles many years before Denise even competed. So these programs are recaps.

Please enjoy and comment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gem7ini

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm so thrilled that the Olympic skate of John Misha Petkevich is there :love:

Thank you so much jcoates!

Mao88

Record Breaker
1968 OLYMPICS

LADIES

Gold: Peggy Fleming - USA

Free Skate

Free Skate - 2nd Version

Free Skate - 3rd Version

Free Skate - 4th Version

Silver: Gabriele Seyfert - East Germany

Free Skate

Free Skate - 2nd Version

Bronze: Hana Maskova - Czechoslovakia

Free Skate (Complete)

Free Skate - 2nd Version - short clip at beginning of video

4th: Albertina Noyes - USA

Free Skate

Free Skate - 2nd Version

5th: Beatrix Schuba - Austria

Free Skate

6th: Zsuzsa Almassy - Hungary

Free Skate

9th: Janet Lynn - USA

Free Skate

MENS

Gold: Wolfgang Schwarz - Austria

Free Skate

Silver: Tim Wood - USA

Free Skate

Bronze: Patrick Péra - France

Still no video available

4th: Emmerich Danzer - Austria

Free Skate

5th: Gary Visconti - USA

Free Skate

6th: John Misha Petkevich - USA

Free Skate

9th: Sergei Chetverukhin - USSR

Free Skate

PAIRS

Gold: Ludmila Protopopov & Oleg Protopopov - USSR

Free Skate

Free Skate - 2nd Version

Silver: Tatyana Zhuk & Aleksandr Gorelik - USSR

Free Skate

Bronze: Margot Glockshuber & Wolfgang Danne - West Germany

Free Skate

4th: Heidemarie Steiner & Heinz-Ulrich Walther - East Germany

Free Skate

5th: Tamara Moskvina & Alexei Mishin - USSR

Free Skate

6th: Cynthia Kauffman & Ronald Kauffman - USA

Free Skate

Free Skate - 2nd Version

1972 OLYMPICS

The following features Janet Lynn, Karen Magnussen, and Trixie Schuba:

Part 1, Part 2

LADIES EVENT

Gold: Beatrix Schuba - Austria

Silver: Karen Magnussen - Canada

Bronze: Janet Lynn - USA

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Although the jumps were simpler in Peggy's time, she expressed the music so much better than most of the skaters today. When it was fast, she skated fast; when it was slow, she skated slow, and I loved the little dance she did in the middle. It was a pleasure to watch.

I love Peggy's program; it's the one of all these I'd seen before. Isn't that a jump combination she does near the beginning? She really excelled in all aspects of skating, both artistic and athletic, and even the school figures--which, notice, she won.

The Protopopovs...wow. Talk about expressing emotion and music on the ice. That paired spiral is to die for: long, smooth, and just when you think they would have run out of propulsion, he pushes her forward to do a solo moment. What surprises me is how many jumps and lifts they do, far more than Moskvina and Mishin. (Who, I agree, were exceedingly appealing.) A bit of the commentary was in French, some of which I was able to catch and understand: "the security...the grace...the suppleness."

I've watched Petkevich now but haven't seen Wood yet and am eager to. He was actually a world champion twice, so he was in some ways America's best of that era, though Misha P. is known for his free skating pyrotechnics.

This is a treasure! I can't wait to watch more.

Extra note of amusement: the guys I've seen so far, singles and pairs alike, all skate wearing the stretchier equivalent of a suit and tie. I remember someone, maybe Scott Hamilton, once saying that when he started skating, you looked like a waiter on ice. Remember Kurt Browning's "Casablanca" program, where Rick really was a sort of glorified waiter...wonder if, in addition to portraying the character, that was also intended as a tip of the hat to the traditional men's skating costume.

Last edited: