Psychics and Religion | Golden Skate

Psychics and Religion

macy

Record Breaker
i think it would be interesting to go talk to a psychic just to see what they would have to say about what is going on in my life recently; some pretty big issues i've been having trouble with...but, since i'm Catholic, i'm not sure if it's seen as "okay" i guess. i don't know much about psychics. any religious people's opinions or anyone else?

My tendency is not to trust them, so I don't know what to tell you. I'm not even talking about whether they can see the future or whatever it is they say they do. I would just not talk about my confidential details with a stranger.

Whatever you're going through, I hope you can find a way to think about it that helps you. Maybe some of the other wise folk on her will have helpful ideas about how you seek advice or insight.

backspin

On the Ice
If you want to follow your faith's guidelines, the Bible does forbid going to fortune tellers. (Isaiah 8:19-20, Deuteronomy 18:10-13) Mainly the point is to trust God, not try to see what's going to happen. Also because a psychic may be in contact with demonic "advisors".

I believe in a spiritual world, where demons and angels are fighting a whole war beyond our knowledge. Perhaps a psychic isn't a fake and really does hear someone talking to them--is it a power for good or evil? Who knows? I don't mess with things that I don't understand, and I believe we're not meant to.

macy

Record Breaker
If you want to follow your faith's guidelines, the Bible does forbid going to fortune tellers. (Isaiah 8:19-20, Deuteronomy 18:10-13) Mainly the point is to trust God, not try to see what's going to happen. Also because a psychic may be in contact with demonic "advisors".

I believe in a spiritual world, where demons and angels are fighting a whole war beyond our knowledge. Perhaps a psychic isn't a fake and really does hear someone talking to them--is it a power for good or evil? Who knows? I don't mess with things that I don't understand, and I believe we're not meant to.

that's what i thought although i couldn't remember. i wouldn't say i'm looking for guidance, i do trust God, but i guess its just curiosity. oh well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've moved this to the politics folder due to religious topics becoming very heated in the past.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That probably makes sense Toni.

If the psychic is charging you for the privilege, I certainly wouldn't bother.

A lot of people learned this the hard way from Miss Cleo's Hotline scam.

One does not need to believe that psychics are talking to demons to be wary of them.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=....,cf.osb&fp=cd42049d4e82fac7&biw=1024&bih=684

The Google search above on "psychic arrested" yields 3,800,000 hits

Psychics run afoul of this world's laws very frequently.

I would avoid them, especially if they are not offering their services for free.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Personally, I'm not involved in organized religions, although I certainly believe that there is a higher power.

The only reputable psychic that I know of is John Edward. I've heard him on reputable radio talk shows and went to one of his shows, as well. He really doesn't promise anything. From what I've heard and read about him, it's sorta of like a game of charades with the person on the other side. They use body language that he tries to interpret to make you think of the connection.

At the show I went to, he found a family that was going through a difficult time because a spirit had a family member in the audience and the spirit member wanted his family to help the other family in the audience. Neither family had met before. Of course, skeptics would say that they were phonies staged in the audience. However, based upon overall experience, the guy seems legit.

However, he'll never tell someone what to do. Most times it seems like he's making people think more of their lost loved ones which reminds the people of what those loved ones would want for them. So, maybe he is just talented enough to be able to make people focus and think.

There have been some instances where he's told someone that he see's the loved one making a 'rocking the baby' motion and asks if someone is pregnant in the family - over the radio. In some instances, the person says yes. Some say no - however, he has had callers who said 'no' and then later send an e-mail later saying that they just found out that their daugher/son/sibling is expecting within weeks of his question.

Anyway, proceed with caution.