Gymnastics: Making the London 2012 WAG Team-- who would you pick? | Golden Skate

Gymnastics: Making the London 2012 WAG Team-- who would you pick?

cornell08

Final Flight
I feel like for once this is a fairly open field unlike last Olympics where we knew either USA or China would take Team Gold. I also find it hard to predict who will make the USA team! No one except Wieber seems like a lock (and she hasn't been all that steady recently). Raisman on account of her consistency will probably make the team as well. So, who will take the last 3 spots and what would your lineups be for TF?

DianaSelene

Medalist
I think Wieber and Raisman will definitely go. Douglas will probably be included mostly because the US team has a shortage of good bar workers. If Luikin competes well at nationals like she did at Secret US Classic, she will go. And Maroney is too good at vault to not be taken.

So I say:

Wieber
Raisman
Douglas
Luikin
Maroney

We already know that Memmel won't go. Bross has just barely recovered from injury and I don't think she is stable enough. Kyla Ross will fight for the top 5 but ultimately she won't get in.

P.S. Forgot about Shawn Johnson. She, like, Ross will fight but unless the ones I already mentioned have injuries, she won't make it.

cornell08

Final Flight
That sounds like a pretty good lineup although I could see Liukin or Ross being the 5th one, we'll have a better idea after Nationals. But you are right that Maroney will probably not be left off-- they'd be losing a possible vault EF gold as well!

macy

Record Breaker
I think Wieber and Raisman will definitely go. Douglas will probably be included mostly because the US team has a shortage of good bar workers. If Luikin competes well at nationals like she did at Secret US Classic, she will go. And Maroney is too good at vault to not be taken.

So I say:

Wieber
Raisman
Douglas
Luikin
Maroney

We already know that Memmel won't go. Bross has just barely recovered from injury and I don't think she is stable enough. Kyla Ross will fight for the top 5 but ultimately she won't get in.

P.S. Forgot about Shawn Johnson. She, like, Ross will fight but unless the ones I already mentioned have injuries, she won't make it.

great picks. i think liukin and johnson have an equal chance of getting on the team, and who knows how nastia will hold up being that she only did beam at secret and that was the first time competing since the olympics. i am excited for both though. jordyn will most likely be AA, i just watched her practice yesterday on bars, beam, and a little bit of floor and she looks strong. douglas is great on bars. raisman i think is great on floor and beam but definitely needs some fine tuning with her feet and form. maroney's vault is AMAZING. she's a lock for vault.

I just read in the following article that Shawn Johnson has announced her retirement.

She had an ACL tear in a skiing accident two years ago, followed with surgery, and she says that her body won't take the stress of the training.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blo...rt-for-shawn-johnson-announces-retirment.html

While it's really too bad, I'm impressed that she knew when to quit and did so with good grace. She was endearingly forthright, saying something like "I'm kind of numb, and it sucks." But to be able to stand up and make a statement rather than pretending to keep going to psych other people out, that takes a certain amount of maturity.

She's certainly had a stellar international career. Between her and Nastia, the U.S. looked like a major gymnastics power in the last Olympics. And wasn't she fun to watch on Dancing with the Stars? If any of you gymnastics buffs finds out what Johnson plans on doing in the future, let us know. I wish her well and hope that, like Michelle Kwan, she finds something satisfying to do for her second act.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Shawn Johnson's full announcement is here: http://usagym.org/pages/features/120603_johnson/index.html
A few excerpts:

"I am announcing this now so the focus for the next three weeks will be on the incredibly talented gymnasts who are trying to make our 2012 Olympic Team," said Johnson. "I have had the honor to train and compete with them, and I am excited to join the gymnastics family and fans in cheering them on to victory. I will be there with every ounce of pride and energy to cheer on my girls and Team USA." "

Johnson is considering her plans for the future that include college, volunteer work and continuing to be involved in gymnastics. Johnson will make the trip to London this summer on behalf of some sponsors and have the opportunity to cheer for the USA.

"Looking to the future, I have many goals and plans I want to pursue," said Johnson. "I am going to college, want to work with philanthropic foundations, and hope to inspire new generations to follow their own dreams and pursue their passions. I also will continue to be involved in the growth of gymnastics because it has been an important part of my life for 15 years. I am very excited about starting the next part of my journey."

The announcement includes supportive comments from some of her corporate sponsors (such as biggies like P & G and Coca-Cola), so it seems that her endorsement deals will continue.
And she has a new book coming out this week.

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight
Final day for womens Nationals is this afternoon! Check your local listings. I am so excited to see how Gabby Douglas and Kyla Ross do :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
On my TV it is showing up on regular NBC, Channel 10 Providence (in other words, the Old Skool through the antenna version of NBC). Prime coverage!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, wish I had known. Beautiful day but 'under the weather.' What a New England beach day for those lucky stiffs at the beaches! I was watching a bit of an old fave Mel Gibson before the troubled Mel evolved, called 'The Patriot.' I love this movie, and then we had to go to the grocery store. So I missed the gymnastics. Shawn is a wonderful champion and I'm sorry she cannot compete. I was sad to read the release the other day. I wonder how is Nastia looking? Is she still up there with the top ladies?

DianaSelene

Medalist
Oh, wish I had known. Beautiful day but 'under the weather.' What a New England beach day for those lucky stiffs at the beaches! I was watching a bit of an old fave Mel Gibson before the troubled Mel evolved, called 'The Patriot.' I love this movie, and then we had to go to the grocery store. So I missed the gymnastics. Shawn is a wonderful champion and I'm sorry she cannot compete. I was sad to read the release the other day. I wonder how is Nastia looking? Is she still up there with the top ladies?

Nope. She greatly disappointed. She bombed both her balance beam and uneven bars (and those are the only events she is competing in). She probably won't get to the olympics.

macy

Record Breaker
nastia still got an invite to the olympic trials. she's got 3 weeks, hopefully she'll pull it together and make a good showing.

macy

Record Breaker
well now that nationals are over, any new picks? unless wieber gets injured (praying to God she doesn't!) she's a lock.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Well, now that we saw that both Luikin and Bross are not in good shape, I will replace Luikin with Kyla Ross. Ross looked really good at nationals so she should be able to get on the team. I still believe Sacramone won't get in, and Maroney will probably still be picked even though she had a concussion (as well as a broken nose I think?).

macy

Record Breaker
Well, now that we saw that both Luikin and Bross are not in good shape, I will replace Luikin with Kyla Ross. Ross looked really good at nationals so she should be able to get on the team. I still believe Sacramone won't get in, and Maroney will probably still be picked even though she had a concussion (as well as a broken nose I think?).

she had a small concussion and fractured her nose. poor girl. i still think that if she's fine by trials she'll be a lock on vault for sure. liukin has a lot of work to do in the next couple weeks.