Igor Shpilband fired | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Igor Shpilband fired

SGrand

Final Flight
Wow! This is just shocking. There must be quite a bit that they're not letting out about this (yet?) as I can't imagine someone in his position being ousted for something like what they're saying. Must be big.
Never boring in ice dance is it?

Macassar88

Medalist
I'm assuming that there are other reasons for him being fired that are being kept under the table for a while.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I logged in on purpose to share this news but it seems to have spread already.
I certainly did not see this one coming. During the past season I heard some comments, including from tv commentators, that the rivalry between Virtue & Moir and Davis & White might not be that friendly anymore and that the fact that they were sharing coaches and choreographers could lead to one of the teams leaving Canton. Nevertheless, this seems to be a new twist in this story. So the top teams wanted him to leave? Conflict of interest? Interesting ...
I'm just wondering where will he go now and whose teams he will be coaching. Will he stay in the US or will he move to Canada or Russia? Somehow, considering that Shpilband has been in the US for so long, I can't believe he might go to Russia.
I'm also wondering about the impact of this decision will have on Virtue & Moir and Davis & White skating. Will their skating suffer or not?

(English is not my first language but I hope that everybody will understand my post) :eek::

DianaSelene

Medalist
So now it seems like the dispute is between him and Marina, not the skaters.

That's what I was thinking since the very beginning. Isn't it kind of strange that suddenly the 3 teams got together and said, "Shpilband is neglecting us. Let's fire him."? Zoueva has a history of sending condemning letters. She is the pro.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Evidently he was told about the skaters' displeasure with him which is why he is so shocked ans will be talking to D/W. However, the skaters could ask to leave him as a coach; why would the management want him gone from the rink? This is so unusual.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Huh? Could explain a bit more about that, please?

She wrote a letter to Russian club CSKA about Stanislav Zhuk saying that he is an alcoholic and was harsh with his students. That might be true- I don't know. But I saw in an interview from a Russian documentary a few years ago that she also complained that he is "hitting" on/tried to molest his female students which was not true. However, the letter forced him to retire. That came as a great hit to Zhuk as his health deteriorated quickly after that.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
This just gets stranger and stranger!!! He will find a new club in no time. I'm curious as to what the teams will do!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Why is Shpilband so shocked if even the USFSA has been apprised of the problems at the rink since over a month ago? It's not just some skaters not happy with the job he was doing. The management wanted him gone from the club all together.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
She wrote a letter to Russian club CSKA about Stanislav Zhuk saying that he is an alcoholic and was harsh with his students. That might be true- I don't know. But I saw in an interview from a Russian documentary a few years ago that she also complained that he is "hitting" on/tried to molest his female students which was not true. However, the letter forced him to retire. That came as a great hit to Zhuk as his health deteriorated quickly after that.

Thanks for the explanation.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
What will the teams at Arctic Edge do...this is gonna be nail-biter over the next week :jaw:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So the press tries to contact D/W and V/M but not the Shibs, like they would tell them anything as of now. Wouldn't it be easier to pump something out of the young ones?

Macassar88

Medalist
So the press tries to contact D/W and V/M but not the Shibs, like they would tell them anything as of now. Wouldn't it be easier to pump something out of the young ones?

Actually, no attempt to contact Tessa either. Just Meryl, Charlie and Scott.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Macassar88 said:
Actually, no attempt to contact Tessa either. Just Meryl, Charlie and Scott.

That doesn't surprise me. Ever see interviews with V/M? She never answers any questions.

CAS

On the Ice
That doesn't surprise me. Ever see interviews with V/M? She never answers any questions.

I've seen a few where she does all the talking. She's also been doing more talking since Scott had his last foot in mouth episode.

CAS

On the Ice
Why is Shpilband so shocked if even the USFSA has been apprised of the problems at the rink since over a month ago? It's not just some skaters not happy with the job he was doing. The management wanted him gone from the club all together.

Interesting point about the USFSA. It can't have been that much of a shock if they were informed a month ago, the situation must have been tense to involve them.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Tessa may still be on vacation somewhere they don't know or can't reach. She and Scott didn't attend Skate Canada Annual Convention celebrating its 125th anniversary last weekend but Zoueva was at the National Coaching Convention which was kicked off by Patrick Chan's former coach Krall. They were the American coaches among all the Canadians.