Igor Shpilband fired | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Igor Shpilband fired

Exactly. SkateFiguring, what source indicated that both the club manager and the rink owner were at the "firing?" I don't recall reading that anywhere.

I think the confusion came in the Globe and Mail article that used the language "club manager" for "rink manager."

Shpilband, 47, was told to leave the club by management who said a conflict between the two had created tensions in the club.

The Arctic Figure Skating Club does not have a manager as far as I can tell.

http://arcticfsc.com/contactus.html

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised to see at least one team defect to join the exiled Igor. And I'm very glad to hear he's landed on his feet and is setting up at a new rink. I try not to be nationalistic, but I am glad Igor stayed in the US. And I'm very excited that the skater in my avatar, along with her partner, is now the top team of the greatest ice dance coach ever. I'm confident Arctic will get a good technical coach soon enough. I hope in the long run this means there will be two great ice dancing schools from what was just one.

I wonder if coaches get to the point, after working with a team for years, where they feel that they have taught these particular students everything they can and it's time for everyone to move on to whatever's next.

By the way, if you check out Igor Shpilband's Wikipedia entry, someone is on the ball with all the latest, including the decision by Chock and Bates to train with him in Novi.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It seems Igor has turned a corner and maybe we who have participated should too. It seems that sometimes speculation and heresay is ok, but other times not. We have hashed this into the ground with every nuanced word dissected. We must be all bored or in need of diversion. I asked the ice dance afficionados a question, as this thread has everyone from ice dance 'likers' like me to ice skaters (any ice dancers?) KKonas, skating insider and who knows ? incognito posters seemingly with strong feelings for Marina or for Igor. This and FSU may not be the Detroit presss but we know skaters or family/friends weigh in. FSU has more posters and lots of repeat speculation I haven't patience to wade thru and have found GS to be a preferred news source, though FSu is certainly a fun, great, informative forum as well. But very long threads at times with not much meat!

Should we have a new thread starting with "Igor Lands in Novi with first top team in pursuit." We are not going to get anymore statements re the split and they are all spun and pc. Does it mater who pushed the door open for him? It obviously was a simple common case of divorce between a formerly happy business couple. The powers were with Marina and the skaters (top 3) chose Marina and Arctic. That's all we know and tight lips will be kept tight. They have moved on to next season. Maybe someday, if things are not going as they wish we will see the Shibs defect. Or we could very possible see D/W down the road as they were apparently close to Igor.Perhaps that is not likely as some have said all find Marina warm and fuzzy and they feel she's where it is at.

We don't know the inside and 30 pages of rehashing has brought us no closer. So Igor has moved on and started a new thread, why don't we? I want to hear news of any teams he signs up, whatever their age or rank, and who will choreograph his teams. Also news of co--coaches. Is it time to start at a new thread so we can get the news as opposed to one or two people re-dissecting what has been said. The horse has been beaten to death several times and is in smithereens. I just want to know news as it develops as this will be as Toni says, a very interesting season with the rivalry, and while I watch the top teams when I can, it has me more interested in finding out things I felt too ignorant to ask. I guess I can start a thread since my question was ignored as rehashing/speculating is the topic. I will start 2 then, as I really want to read true "news" like Chock/Bates etc, and I have questions that are OT. I know, please someone don't be cheeky and say don't watch the autopsy (sp?) but I am interested like most everyone in actual news like Novi, etc. So If it is ok, could we have news thread on Igor's new skating school? Thanks, and have fun dissecting. I have learned lot as a non-skater how these clubs work.

I hope Doris and other ID ubers will keep us informed.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the reason why the questions you asked about the World's scores/placements was ignored is because it was debated to death for two months afterwards. A lot of heated debate went on, and really I think we're all tired of going there again. You can look it up in the - yes, very long - worlds threads that are in the worlds folder if you really want to see what ice dance fans thought.

A lot of "in the know" people are lurkers here, but expecting them to answer questions is a little more of a hope than anything else. KKonas has given her opinion as have a lot of the other journalist minded posters here on the Igor topic. This is the off season, it's the time for speculation - not about personal lives, but professional, political, and athletic - you're not going to get answers because there are none to get/give at this point.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Sigh, not the competition folder where pages are costume comments or cute fun asides as it happens. Great fun if you can watch with the folks who have live feeds etc. My puter always freezes if I indeed get a feed, so I usually watch after on youtube. Was it heated for two months? ReallY?! How did I miss that. I guess i should look for edge folders but we are told not to discuss comp results in the edge. Well, perhaps there will be soem edifying replies. The articles by Tanje are very journalistic, and give the facts but little color commentary nor waiver from the judges results. That is at is should be. Simple news of placements, etc but no report of controversy. Aunt Joyce style reporting would be awfully fun. Sometimes I wish Johnny Weir would comment and not hold back, LOL. Thanks for your reply, Miss Toni.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Please remember the guidelines! If you have issues with another poster take it off the board, don't drag down a thread with it. PMs work great for this. Please review the guidelines if needbe. The posts have been moderated, let's try to keep it on topic? Or close to it? If you have issues with a post report it, don't take matters into your own hands.

Last edited: