I'll have Another's Going For Triple Crown | Golden Skate

I'll have Another's Going For Triple Crown

Johar

Medalist
http://equibase.com/static/entry/BEL060912USA-EQB.html#RACE11

I just don't feel confident about him winning but wish them all a safe trip. I've seen too many horses primed to win the Belmont and seal a TC, but for whatever reason they fall short. It's going to be a fun race and I hope he can pull it off!

1. Street Life, Jose Lezcano, 12-1
2. Unstoppable U, Junior Alvarado, 30-1
3. Union Rags, John Velazquez, 6-1
4. Atigun, Julien Leparoux, 30-1
5. Dullahan, Javier Castellano, 5-1
6. Ravelo's Boy, Alex Solis, 50-1
7. Five Sixteen, Rosie Napravnik, 50-1
8. Guyana Star Dweej, Kent Desormeaux, 50-1
9. Paynter, Mike Smith, 50-1
10. Optimizer, Corey Nakatani, 20-1
11. I'll Have Another, Mario Gutierrez, 4-5
12. My Adonis, Ramon Dominguez, 20-1

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Friday, June 8

NBC Sports Network: 4 – 5 p.m. – Belmont Stakes Classics

NBC Sports Network: 5 – 6 p.m. – Live coverage from Belmont Park featuring the Grade 3 Jaipur on the Grade 2 Brooklyn Handicap

Saturday, June 9

NBC Sports Network: 3 – 4:30 p.m. – Live coverage from Belmont Park

NBC Sports: 4:30 – 7 p.m. – Live coverage from Belmont Park featuring the Belmont Stakes

NBC Sports Network: 7 – 7:30 p.m. – Post-race Belmont Stakes coverage

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I saw the segment on the Today Show and forgive my ignorance but I thought riding crops weren't allowed in races anymore? I'll Have Another's jockey was clearly using one in the earlier races and I was confused lol

Johar

Medalist
Often they just hit their boots. But it doesn't matter now. I'll have Another was injured this morning and scratched. And retired!

Often they just hit their boots. But it doesn't matter now. I'll have Another was injured this morning and scratched. And retired!

Alas, yes. I've sent condolence messages to all my horse-loving friends.

At least we know that these owners aren't the kinds who take chances with their horse. He apparently had swelling yesterday, and it went down today, and then it increased after his run. They could have risked it, but they didn't. A disappointment, but I'll Have Another will live to tell the tale.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
That horse only cost 11, 000. WOW! ANd now 20-30 million in stud fees. LOL, Olympia, he will live very well indeed!.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sadly the uneducated "Friends of Animals" and "PETA" groups are already celebrating the horse's injury I said. It just "helps their cause." The same people rejoice when a sled dog dies on a race. Ugly, stupid people.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alas, yes. I've sent condolence messages to all my horse-loving friends.

At least we know that these owners aren't the kinds who take chances with their horse. He apparently had swelling yesterday, and it went down today, and then it increased after his run. They could have risked it, but they didn't. A disappointment, but I'll Have Another will live to tell the tale.

Aw ... that's a shame. No chance of a Triple Crown, but we'll still watch the race. Hope I'll Have Another will recover well.

Sadly the uneducated "Friends of Animals" and "PETA" groups are already celebrating the horse's injury I said. It just "helps their cause." The same people rejoice when a sled dog dies on a race. Ugly, stupid people.

How pathetic!

Johar

Medalist
Oh, PETA gets mad when horses don't die in televised races because they can't use it to gain publicity for them!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh, PETA gets mad when horses don't die in televised races because they can't use it to gain publicity for them!

same with the Iditarod. It's pathetic... and sickening... who really hates these animals, now?!

As with many things, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. The original goal was laudable, to end needless animal cruelty in labs that tested cosmetics on animals, on factory farms where chickens and veal calves are raised, and so on. But in every movement there will be a group that is so pure that nothing is allowed and everything is forbidden. After all, absolutism is always easier than trying to evaluate on a case-by-case basis. I once read a piece that scolded people for eating honey, because taking it was cruel to bees. Enough already. These are people who will feed their pets (nay, companion animals; the word "pet" apparently implies a master-slave relationship) only vegetarian food. Surprise! Dogs can survive on plant proteins, but cats will die. They are delicate organisms and their bodies are calibrated only for beastly feasting. There's animal cruelty for you: you could kill your cat with high-minded negligence.

I have recently given up meat-eating (hope it lasts), but I'm happily rooting for a Triple Crown someday soon (wait till next year!), and I take Toni's word for it as a decent human being that sled dogs are well treated and like to run in cold weather. I assume that other people in the world are also capable of making mature and humane judgments in these matters.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think any group who would threaten bodily harm and death on folks who work in a sporting goods store (omg they promote hunting and fishing!) have only evil intentions. But that's a rant for the politics folder. lol

I think you're within your rights to gripe about such action, Toni, without having to take it to the political folder. I remember your mentioning that incident earlier.

My point was that there are animal rights supporters who are decent and honorable in their behavior, and that they've done some good work in the world. On the other hand, persons who threaten others (either strangers or people they know--it makes no difference) are acting like slime.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think you're within your rights to gripe about such action, Toni, without having to take it to the political folder. I remember your mentioning that incident earlier.

My point was that there are animal rights supporters who are decent and honorable in their behavior, and that they've done some good work in the world. On the other hand, persons who threaten others (either strangers or people they know--it makes no difference) are acting like slime.

I know there are those that do good and I support them. It's the groups - which, I'm sorry, don't join a group and pay dues and then be shocked to find out that the big wigs are pulling the crap they do, research is key! - themselves that I hold to such a low view.

One of the great problems I've become aware of in the world, and especially in this country, is that most of us don't know people who aren't like us. (We on GS have talked about this before in regard to other issues.) For this reason, an individual might be likely to support a group because that group cares about something that he or she also cares about, and any downside to the group doesn't seem important because he/she doesn't know anyone who gets hurt by it.

Your father and the sporting goods store are good examples of this. Many people who worry about animal rights are people who actually don't know about many animals, except for pets and livestock. They live in cities or suburbs. They know about livestock because they eat meat, and they want to make sure the livestock are treated humanely. (They may go so far as to give up meat, or they may just want to assure that their food has been humanely raised and slaughtered.) So they don't know anyone who hunts, or traps, or who races horses or dogsleds. It doesn't occur to them to inquire into the welfare of those faraway exotic people.

Suburbanite or city slicker or exurban dweller, the way we learn that "those people over there" are like us and are entitled to be considered in moral decisions is to encounter them in places like this site. We may have joined because we all like skating, or a particular musician, or a certain kind of movie, or fantasy gaming. But we also get to know one another. So maybe down the road apiece, we'll be able to work these things out a little better.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
beautifully put, Olympia. anonymity makes it harder to sometimes know a poster, and free thought, free speech is critical to problem solving. I have never hunted an animal but if deer are not hunted in my state, they take over and Lyme disease will skyrocket. I think it comes down to belief systems that are thousands of years old, or your culture. I was reading a very funny thread on FSU, which Doris was in, re squirrell hunting and stew recipe. I would never consider it but Dolly Parton's family probably survived on it. Diversity grows every day in America.

Johar

Medalist
Kudos to Union Rags! His trainer, Michael Matz, survived the Sioux City, Iowa plane crash 15+ years ago. What an amazing man.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kudos to Union Rags! His trainer, William Mott, survived the Sioux City, Iowa plane crash 15+ years ago. What an amazing man.

Congrats to Union Rags! Johar, I thought his trainer was Michael Matz (Did you mean to say him?). I was wondering why Bodiemeister wasn't in the race. I know that Bob Baffert's other horse, Paynter was, and finished very respectably.

Johar

Medalist
Yea, I meant to say Matz. Thanks for telling me. I'll fix it. My trifecta picks were Union Rags/Dullahan/Paynter.