Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan's timeless skates

Concerto de aranjuez US Nationalshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLa8HHhqc8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIMA...ure=plpp_video

1998 WORLD PROFESSIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS LP: Lamento D'Ariane

This was one of her best programs ever. Beautiful sophistication, artistry and technique! A true masterpiece!
    Last edited by christinaskater; 06-11-2012 at 03:42 AM.

From the ESPN article:

What is your most irrational fear?

Flying. I hate it, but obviously I have to do it. I’ve made a lot of really good friends on planes -- grabbing onto their hands.

What place in the world do you most want to visit?

I’m taking a trip to Scotland and Dublin soon. I’ll be running the Olympic torch there, and it’ll be for my birthday. So that’s very exciting.

So, is Mathman plotting to get the seat next to Michelle when she flies to Dublin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdnZ8NAE3_4

I loved her Scheherazade program during the Nationals and worlds! Beautiful programs!

Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIMA...ure=plpp_video

2008 WORLD PROFESSIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS LP: Lamento D'Ariane

This was one of her best programs ever. Beautiful sophistication, artistry and technique! A true masterpiece!
    agreed, MK when she was trying hard with every move to extend and accentuate. Such a dream skater. You have hit all the favorites of mine. Red Violin was not as special but for her comp. programs at senior level, Lyra was the young MK but skating with freedom, joy, abandon. While Salome was perfect and that ending pose etched in my memory, I think Chen Lu was just as deserving. The level of sophistication Chen Lu skated with as a very womanly woman was hard to forget. Oh, amazing how two ethnic Chinese champions made that 1996 so memorable. I am a huge Chen Lu fan. The difference for me was MK was acting and while they tried to make her grow up fast with makeup, a sultry theme and the outfit, it seemed a little premature. Did MK have a real grasp of the subject, the woman she was interpreting? I wanted Gold for both, much how I felt at SLC pairs event.

I loved her SP, Romanza and her supreme confidence in that piece. I loved the music, the attitude she displayed and the costume. Amazing how MK transformed from a child with incredible solid jumps in 1995 to an exquisite chinese beauty in Romanza. Wasn't fun to watch her go from jumping bean to Lyra to Tosca? I feel her most beautiful, complete program was Song of the Black Swan. Her burgundy practice dress showing her lovely little figure is a favorite. MK sure had the best dresses, and the big budget. I wish I could have seen more of her teenage cute outfits in her COI numbers. Someone around her had exquisite taste. I marvel at how timeless even her costume choices were. Like Princess Di's dresses, there was rarely a miss.

Just a note I think Lamento was 1998, not 2008. Just a typo ( I make many) but someone might be looking for more info. Thanks CS for listing them. I did this in my inspiration thread and my homage to MK after she was nominated to USFS Hall of Fame. I never get tired of her 'hit parade.'
    Last edited by skateluvr; 06-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Me too. She is really the best figure skater ever in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    Me too. She is really the best figure skater ever in my opinion.
    You won't get an argument from me. Thanks for posting all of the video links. I never get tired of watching the Kween!

Michelle's triumphant return to the ice "Winter Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGmlMmMs4B4
    Last edited by demarinis5; 06-11-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Custom Title
    I have always loved Michelle's East of Eden program. This isn't the best uTube version but the only one I could find tonite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcYTd...eature=related

The choreography was perfect, Michelle's interpretation of the music was right on, and her falling leaf into the spread eagle was one of the most beautifully timed movements with the music of any program I've ever seen. There is no one like Michelle in figure skating right now. With the point system they race from trick to jump to spin to trick to get as many points in as they can and the lyrical side of skating is lost. Every move she made, hands, arms, legs, and her facial expressions were designed to interpret the music.

The closest to MIchelle now in terms of connecting to the music and performing is Akiko Suzuki. She just needs more consistency and perfection She is my have now
    Miki Ando has some MK moments as well.
    In some skates of Yu-Na, I see a lot of the MK influence as well.

Custom Title
    I often go to "Song of the Black Swan" and "Lyra Angelica" when I need inspiration or sustenance, or just because. But I don't think I can choose a favorite, because I love them all. Thank goodness she stayed around for such a long time, so that she left us an artistic output that shows a complete arc of development from child prodigy to mature artist.

And she had the good luck, heslth and most importntly, she skated right with the whack era. We got to see her and irina a long time - I wish Tara, Sarah and a few others, Jenny, AP had been as luck or motivated. I wish Yuna was here tohave a MAo Rivalry-anyone think Mao might still be deflated by that loss and not having Yuna on the ice at the big competitions? This was a rivalry that brought out the best, even though it had a bad side for some uber fans from both countries. Yuna admitted it felt good to win over Mao as she was Japanese. I think Mao certainly deserves a body of work thread from her meteoric rise from incredible junior to struggling and beautiful senior.

Currently, I love Carolina and she can be breath taking, but Mao Asada, mistakes or not, 3 axel or not is a heart felt skater, a great compeitor with a bunch of awesome programs. Any Mao fan wishn to start a thread where we pick our very favorite program? I might pick an exhibition piece.

Mao ubers, are you out there? There isn't another CoP lady that deserves it and has been around. Shizuka was 2004 a satr and out by OGM 2006, tho she has some lovely exhib. and show skating, but I don't think it is all there on youtube.

As for men with body of work still skating or retired there is Yagudin, Plushenko. Then Comes Lambiel who skated a lot and has several good to great programs. Also, shorter career but still beautiful skating is Jeff Buttle. Evan has skated a long time as has Johnny Wier.

Mao fans? Start a best of thread. The 'iron butterfly' deserves it. That is a compliment of course!

TIMELESS, indeed. I really have no words to describe her better than any of you guys already had. She was just so damn gooooooooooooood.

Custom Title
    I don't see any of Michelle in Miki Ando. Not a fan! Michelle's costumes were classy, her choreography suited her style and she was very competent without looking overly athletic. I think Yu Na Kim has her own style, Mao Asada as well. Both are beautifully classic skaters with grace and confidence. When they do occasionally falter it's always a surprise to me because they are usually so steady.

Custom Title
    Oops - double post!
    Last edited by noskates; 06-13-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast