For Us "Oldsters" Only | Golden Skate

For Us "Oldsters" Only

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Age 35 to 55? You'd Better Do This Daily

Use it or lose it. We're talking about your mind. In a study with more than 5,300 people, researchers from University College London have determined that people ages 35 to 55--that is, those who are approaching and in the middle-age years--who participate in intellectually challenging leisure-time activities, such as reading or taking classes, have sharper minds than people who prefer solitary activities, such as gardening or household tasks. And doing this from ages 35 to 55 will help protect your mind as you age. Our intellectual ability is definitely influenced by what we do. "Participation in complex leisure activities keeps the brain active and engaged," lead researcher Dr. Archana Singh-Manoux told Reuters.

The study: In addition to testing short-term memory, mathematical reasoning skills, and vocabulary, the UK researchers asked 5,352 people between the ages of 35 and 55 what they did for fun.

The results: Those who spent more time on leisure activities had higher and better mental function than others, reports Reuters. Of particular value were activities that engaged the mind or brought the person into contact with people. These included cultural visits, playing cards or chess, reading, listening to music, or volunteering. To control for the fact that people who already have sharper minds are more likely to engage in such leisure time activities, the researchers used statistics to remove the influence of education and profession, two obvious factors that influence one's intellectual ability.

Previous research has shown that when older people engage in hobbies and socializing, it helps protect their minds against the ravages of aging. Now it seems that the earlier we begin the better. Exerting the mind in middle-age can protect it in old age. "Not all individuals decline at the same rate in old age, so some factors during the 'lifecourse,' both in early adulthood and middle age, must offer protection," Singh-Manoux explained to Reuters. The study findings were reported in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great article, Lad. I keep a stack of crossword puzzles handy....they're suppose to help against Alzhm. disease.......now if I only knew how to spell..................:p 42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I qualify for the "Oldsters" only topic, will be 45 this coming year!

"Use it or lose it" I was thinking of something else.........oh yes our minds.

Lad this information is very important for us "oldsters". I do a lot of reading and puzzles. Mentally try and challenge myself (I do this when talking with my older son:laugh: ), and exercise not just mind but body.

Last edited:

dizzydi

On the Ice
Ladskater,

Great topic. For the past ten years I have made an effort to learn news things. Mostly this is a quest to find something I enjoy and to which I can excel.

I read a lot, do crossword puzzles, sew and have recently been teaching myself to knit. What's next, crocheting and perhaps quilting? Since I may retire from my job soon, I'll have lots of time to pursue my interests. It sure keeps my life interesting and perhaps my brain functioning.

Dizzy

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Those who spent more time on leisure activities had higher and better mental function than others, reports Reuters.

Anything that advocates more leisure activities sounds good to me!:)

Piel

Suzy

On the Ice
Listen up, people. This is so true. My mother is 62 and practically illiterate. She seems "foggy" to me over the past few years. Kind of "fuzzy around the edges." She doesn't do anything mind stimulating because she can read only a little and doesn't enjoy doing so. She refuses to write her own checks if she doesn't have to, stuff like that.

I really do think that the mind must be stimulated as well as the body exercised to live an easier "old age.":sheesh:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
So, what about us over 70?
I do cryptoquips and crosswords. Love cryptoquips most.
I wish I had time to do more reading. Just busy, busy, busy.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
In a study with more than 5,300 people, researchers from University College London have determined that people ages 35 to 55--that is, those who are approaching and in the middle-age years--who participate in intellectually challenging leisure-time activities, such as reading or taking classes, have sharper minds than people who prefer solitary activities, such as gardening or household tasks.

Thanks for an excuse to put off my housework. I generally use whatever I can come up with, but this one is higher quality.

I'm not so certain that the report holds true in my case. There are times, I can almost hear my brain cells snap, crackle, and pop. Of course, that may be due to my having teenagers.