Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yu-Na Kim's achievements and favorite program

Yu-Na Kim's achievements and favorite program

At the top as a senior we had really just four years. I don't pay much attention to post Vancouver as it was not "Yuna" at her competitive best. The fire was gone and it showed.

What is your 1 favorite Yuna performance? For me, tho I loved her Oly programs- as sexy grown up Yu-Na, I will always see 'The Lark Ascending' as my favorite Yuna. Still a girl, still growing, so young and that beautiful purity that was Yuna. Technically but moreso artistically, Yu-Na's heart seemed in that program. I wish we had ten years of Yuna to look back on, but so it goes.

i think she could have achieved even more if she's motivated enough. her technique is a world class. but it seems to me she's satisfied already with her accomplishments. el tango de roxanne is still my favorite program.

skating philosopher
    I have to say that her Dance Macabre program is my favorite, particularly the version from 2009 Worlds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVasw...eature=related

I really enjoy the ending at the end where she flourishes her arms with one staccato beat.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    i think she could have achieved even more if she's motivated enough. her technique is a world class. but it seems to me she's satisfied already with her accomplishments. el tango de roxanne is still my favorite program.
    I wonder if it's related to her back problems. Also, winning an OGM is usually pinnacle of a skater's career. Nothing wrong with her stopping after winning one.

Please remember to not flame threads by attacking other posters - be it in name, or as a group. The posts will be unapproved.

Also, remember it's better to ignore the negative, not feed it, because then we mods actually have to work.

Custom Title
    I still really loved her short at the Olympics and just the lyrical quality to her but I think a lot of the Yuna hype has to do with the Asian community; I am not so sure she is an international sensation like some of the tennis players from Russia or past gymnasts or skaters. These websites are a bit stilted I think possibly. Skating is huge in Asian now especially Japan and Korea but not to be north america centric - not so big in Canada and US mainly or in part because the big skating event is women's skating and right now Canada is totally no where without Joannie. They aren't even on the map. US has hope but no lady has dominated and been on the world podium in a while. Ashley loooks close but remember Mirai was 4th in vancouver and was first after the free at worlds then she fell down the ladder with a crash. I do like Yuna but do think she is a bit more hype

Custom Title
    Danse Macabre
    Girshewin Piano Concerto.

Technical prowess combined with artistic skating is shown best in her many short programs, Miss Saigon, and Gershwin. But for me, Scheherezade at worlds. That performance was what got my attention to Yuna and that thrill I'd been conveyed from her is beyond words still. Records aside, pure artistry she brought on to that performance. Wow. And that ending pose was so heartwarming after I realized that this program was a tribute to her idol, Kwan.

I actually love her post-olympic performances -- I think had she performed Arirang clean, there is no doubt that it would be my all-time favorite program of Yuna (it still is along with Gershwin). In the same vein, I really like her Giselle.

But at the moment, my favorite Yuna program is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZ5b...layer_embedded

Custom Title
    Even though Yu-Na won all the hardware, I don't think she ever reached the peak of what she could have done. There was still room for improvement with things like her spirals (as an example). No doubt, burn out was a factor. That's a pity. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed her Olympic year programs and am sad there weren't more on those levels. And yes, I loved her Adele program.
    Last edited by Oreo; 06-12-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Yuna's lp at 2007 worlds, Lark Ascending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZVaD7RGADk

at 2009 worlds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f7s7SEDp40

at 2010 olympics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPvC1waCic

Someone Like You exhibition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsCkNFP-1c (I just want to ((Yuna)) at 3:35. Why did she cry? Really?)
    Last edited by l'etoile; 06-13-2012 at 02:50 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC2U_qmvUnU

This is her lp performance at GPF in 2007. She did 3f-3t with ease and then fell horribly at 3loop. But the rest of the program was so impressive since she was able to keep up the good energy, bloomed during performance, did all the tricks needed to win at the end.

Although Yuna received a deduction and -3 GOE on 3loop, her tech scores were 72.25 just a point shy after Mao's wizard, squeaky clean free skate which had two 3-3s. This was one of the most substantial wins of hers in Yuna's senior career.

Tripping on the Podium
    The Bond short was amazing! Loved it!!!

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Her iconic program for me is Danse. She will forever be tied to that music and any use of it immediately brings about thoughts of that program. Gorgeous costume, wonderful choreography, delivered perfectly multiple times...that is her iconic program.

As far as her FS go, none of them really stuck with me. I was a much bigger fan of her SPs (Tango, Danse, Bond) than her FS, though if I had to choose, I'd pick Lark Ascending. It was a challenge for her artistically she she delivered it nicely. If there was one program I'd love to see her skate now, it's that one. There was still a slight awkwardness to Yu-Na during that time; she wasn't as refined, smooth and secure as she was a year later. I think it'd be great to see a mature Yu-Na tackle that program now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Her iconic program for me is Danse. She will forever be tied to that music and any use of it immediately brings about thoughts of that program. Gorgeous costume, wonderful choreography, delivered perfectly multiple times...that is her iconic program.

As far as her FS go, none of them really stuck with me. I was a much bigger fan of her SPs (Tango, Danse, Bond) than her FS, though if I had to choose, I'd pick Lark Ascending. It was a challenge for her artistically she she delivered it nicely. If there was one program I'd love to see her skate now, it's that one. There was still a slight awkwardness to Yu-Na during that time; she wasn't as refined, smooth and secure as she was a year later. I think it'd be great to see a mature Yu-Na tackle that program now.
    That would be the dream of every YuNa fan. However, I also thought that mature YuNa wouldn't be a young lark any more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast