Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yu-Na Kim's achievements and favorite program

Custom Title
    I think her body of work will stand comparison with any post-Kwan lady, to be honest. She didn't have the longest career (only one quad), and her long programs never quite matched her short (though that seems to be a COP thing, so it's forgiveable). But between Danse Macabre, Roxanne, Bond, Gershwin, Lark and Arirang, I think she'll be in beautiful stead.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I think her body of work will stand comparison with any post-Kwan lady, to be honest. She didn't have the longest career (only one quad), and her long programs never quite matched her short (though that seems to be a COP thing, so it's forgiveable). But between Danse Macabre, Roxanne, Bond, Gershwin, Lark and Arirang, I think she'll be in beautiful stead.
    Yeah, but what she'd accomplished during that short period of career is more than any other female skaters have ever done. She won every title there to be won. I do agree with your opinion about her lp roaster. Lark Ascending and Arirang have really something ethereal, new, and magical.

Custom Title
    Oh, I think she'll be counted as one of the best ever. As far as the length of her competitive career, one quadrennial is actually about average for a lot of ladies' skaters, though recently we've had a few long-lasting ones (Michelle, Irina, Mao, Carolina K. et al) to skew the statistics. Really short and meteoric is someone like Tara Lipinski, who was in and out in just about two years. Like Midori Ito, YuNa was technically head and shoulders above the competition, with the exception of Mao Asada. In 2007 it was hard for me to watch her because I kept worrying about her back, but now looking back (I just watched "Roxanne"), I can really enjoy her work and her artistry.

Yuna's programs for her senior debut season were her best for me. The complex choreography is unmatched by any of her programs afterwards, imo. She wasn't as refined, as regal back in those days, but it's during that time that I most connect with her performances artistically. Yuna was truly ethereal performing to Lark Ascending (not a word I would usually use to describe her) and truly feisty and aggressive performing to Roxanne. There was also an honest quality to her expression that I would miss in later years.

Yuna herself stated more than often that Lark Ascending was the most challenging program for her career and it's her favorite program. When David Wilson choreographed this program, he asked for her to be a "light and young" bird literally, so she struggled to present that theme most suitably on ice. And me thinks this is where all of her artistic contemplating through performance started. Lark Ascending is that good.

ITA again, Lark was her best for many reasons. Her youthful purity/love of skating is what makes it so lovely. It is her Lyra angelica. Well, would it not be amazing if she announces she misses competition and decides to come back/ If she wants it 100%, I think we could see maybe one or two more very strong programs. I know, wishful thinking. I can see Korea going crazy en masse if she decides to take another run at gold. It might revitalize Mao.

With all the men coming back, I would welcome Yuna and of course Joannie, though I doubt it. It would be glorious, Mao, Yuna, Joannie, Caro, Akiko, Miki, Ashley, wow!

Custom Title
    Scheherazade was also beautiful. What if she had not made that mistake with 3S!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Very few ladies go past one quadrennium. Yu Na's career had average length. We tend to think of Kwan, Witt, Slutskaya, and Kostner, but those ladies are more of an exception, rather than the rule. Even the 80's Soviet skaters who had long careers were quite rare, when you had someone like Debi Thomas, who came onto the senior scene and left within four years. Same with Yamaguchi, Hughes, Lipinski, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2