News of Igor Shpilband's new school | Page 4 | Golden Skate

News of Igor Shpilband's new school

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well it was a huge departure from Pink Floyd or their classical Oly program -so yeah it is a pretty big departure.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
In regard to Ice Dance at Sochi, the "competition" has already been judged and determined. It is now up to the teams to show up, skate cleanly, and allow the order of finish to be presented as "competition results." With no huge errors or deductions, the podium will be in the exact same pattern as in 2010. Canada first/USA second/Russia third.

The music, the programs, the skating, the dresses, the lifts, etc. DO NOT MATTER ANYMORE in regard to judging placements for the 2014 Olympic Games. What may surprise people is when the Russians are placed second and Canada third after the SD, with USA placed first. After the FD, it will be CAN/USA/RUS or CAN/RUS/USA.

At this point, it seems like a POLITIKAL competition, not a skating one, just like SO MANY OG of the past. The only way D/W will win it for the USA is if V/M are injured, make a huge error or don't show up. I guess these predictions can go into a different thread, but to make it pertinent to this thread - it appears NOVI has NO Olympic medal contenders at present, and none should be expected either. Igor is OUT, Marina is IN. This time.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Zueva does not pick different music for any of the teams she choreographs for.

Both teams, actually, try to stretch themselves, performance wise, every year. But not, particularly, with their music.

No. Other than creating a couple of new lifts, which most dancers do every year, how exactly did V&M "stretch themselves" in this typical Foxtrot and Quickstep routine? The storyline was a romance, which they have done many times before, the music was from a 1928 musical and never really memorable. They are excellent technicians, but that's not news, so what was so innovative and noteworthy?

Well it was a huge departure from Pink Floyd or their classical Oly program -so yeah it is a pretty big departure.

The point that Skater Boy and I were discussing was limited to whether the couples of Team Canton ever stretch themselves with their choices of music.
In terms of that question alone, I don't think it matters when the music was composed -- or whether or not the music is "memorable" to every observer (a subjective assessment).

I was giving my opinion that Funny Face was a new type of music to Virtue/Moir's repertoire. Was not commenting on the choreography or storyline of FF. :)

jcoates

Medalist
That's a really interesting point. And you'd think that ice dancers had a slightly larger range of possibilities in one direction at least, because they can use vocal music. I might suggest one exception, Virtue and Moir's Mahler Adagietto. I know that it was used once before, but that was such an extraordinary circumstance, Katia Gordeyeva's elegy for her husband Sergei Grinkov, that I can hardly call this music choice conventional. (In fact, at first, I was doubtful about anyone else using the Mahler, because of the emotional weight of the music's history in skating. But it was beautifully performed by V/M, and it was a breakthrough for ice dancing. Lately I've realized that since it was Zoueva herself who first used it for Katia, she might have some wishes to pursue the music further, and I've come to respect that choice.)

What's your thought on the selection used by Annissina and Piezerat for their 2002 Olympic program? The fact that it was so programmatic, almost narrative, was not usual, I think. Are you thinking that the heavily theatrical drama of it is a general trend for ice dancing?

I guess I'm looking at this slightly differently than you are. I get the impression that the music itself and perhaps what is has to say are your focus here. When I think of an unusual music choice, I tend to envision something that does not immediately cause you to think of the skater in question performing to it. Like Kwan all of a sudden deciding to skate to a Janis Joplin instrumental arrangement for a competitive LP. It's just not her image, so that choice would be eyebrow-raising. If she pulled it off, it would expand her perceived repertoire. That's what T/D did by using Bolero. They were primarily known before that for skating very entertainingly to Big Band, Broadway, and early Rock and Roll (50s and 60s). Bolero was totally out of the box for them. Wonderful as Mahler was, I don't see it in the same out of the box way. Based on past programs, especially Valse Triste and Cherbourg, it was not a stretch to envision Mahler as a choice. Same for Davis and White with Phantom. Pink Floyd and Rigby were their respective out of the box selections in my opinion.

Having made that set up argument, I felt A/P were actually being consistent. Yes there was the controversial voiceover (overhyped by Hammond and Wilson), but It was still the same narrative, dramatic approach they always used.

For me it's a matter of not just music, but what you do with the music, both in terms of concept and actual skating. T/D totally changed their patterning, holds, pacing, etc for Bolero. It wasn't an organic progression from previous programs. It was more a creative 180. That's really rare, especially once you've reached the top. Am I making any sense here? :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
jcoates, I agree with your choices.

For D&W, their out of the box programs were Bollywood & Rigby. Their most difficult/ biggest technical improvement program was Postino/tango.
For V&M, their out of the box program was definitely Pink Floyd,. Valse Triste signalled their biggest technical improvement program to me; secondarily Farrucas.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.artonice.it/?q=en/node/12256

Art on Ice has an interview with Igor about working with Capellini & Lanotte, and acting as their coach at Finlandia.

One interesting thing, for those of us who like to know how programs go together:

One last question. I would like to know who did the choreographies for the Short Dance and the Free Dance, as Paola Mezzadri usually takes care of this aspect, while you have been hired in the first place as a technical coach.

Igor Shpilband: I did the entire choreography for the Free Dance, while Paola choreographed the Short Dance.

I guess I'm looking at this slightly differently than you are. I get the impression that the music itself and perhaps what is has to say are your focus here. When I think of an unusual music choice, I tend to envision something that does not immediately cause you to think of the skater in question performing to it. Like Kwan all of a sudden deciding to skate to a Janis Joplin instrumental arrangement for a competitive LP. It's just not her image, so that choice would be eyebrow-raising. If she pulled it off, it would expand her perceived repertoire. That's what T/D did by using Bolero. They were primarily known before that for skating very entertainingly to Big Band, Broadway, and early Rock and Roll (50s and 60s). Bolero was totally out of the box for them. Wonderful as Mahler was, I don't see it in the same out of the box way. Based on past programs, especially Valse Triste and Cherbourg, it was not a stretch to envision Mahler as a choice. Same for Davis and White with Phantom. Pink Floyd and Rigby were their respective out of the box selections in my opinion.

Having made that set up argument, I felt A/P were actually being consistent. Yes there was the controversial voiceover (overhyped by Hammond and Wilson), but It was still the same narrative, dramatic approach they always used.

For me it's a matter of not just music, but what you do with the music, both in terms of concept and actual skating. T/D totally changed their patterning, holds, pacing, etc for Bolero. It wasn't an organic progression from previous programs. It was more a creative 180. That's really rare, especially once you've reached the top. Am I making any sense here? :)

Now I get what you mean! Thanks for clarifying. A really interesting way of looking at the issue.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:scowl: I'm not at all happy with the news that Igor set C/L's Carmen.. especially knowing they had another FD program first.. Seems petty to me.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
To play devil's advocate, I don't think any skater, dance team or pair can be too surprised (let alone miffed) if they pick Carmen & somebody else shows up skating to Carmen. There is a reason manleywoman skatecast has that signoff line about skating to Carmen.

And C/L have the bad luck or good luck or deliberate choice to pick music that other teams have picked too, in the past, long before Igor was in their team.

The sudden fashion for a piece of music always baffles me, but the way baby names fall in and out of fashion baffles me too. Who told all these families suddenly that Madison was a great name for a baby and Jennifer no longer was? :laugh:

If a team comes to you and says, "I want to skate to Carmen, and I want you to choregraph it," do you say no way will I take that job? Especially do you say no if you are starting over, and just working up a clientele?

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wasn't it reported that C/L had another FD in mind when they went to Igor?

Maybe it was just his way of taking the shine off of V/M's FD and giving D/W a little boost (aka, his sign that he wants them to jump ship). Every little thing....

CAS

On the Ice
Wasn't it reported that C/L had another FD in mind when they went to Igor?

Maybe it was just his way of taking the shine off of V/M's FD and giving D/W a little boost (aka, his sign that he wants them to jump ship). Every little thing....

Whatever happened all I know is I recall watching a video during Worlds in Nice where V&M stated they have their plan for the next few seasons and indicated they had their music for next (this) season ready and this was done with in consultation with their coaches. Igor knew they were skating Carmen for the SD. He may not have realized they decided to develop it into a FD (or does his wife still work at Canton?). Yes Carmen is overused but much more in singles skating. Notre Dame de Paris has been used more then Carmen in recent years. So I do find it an odd "coincidence" that suddenly two ice dance teams are skating a FD to Carmen and their connection is Igor. But that is the situation and they all will have to skate the best of it but I do think V&M should consider what Igor knows about their plans for Sochi programs and give that a rethink if necessary. I also don't know that C&L were served well here either, it's a decent traditional program with the predictable interpretation but not a masterpiece. Their SD left a stronger impression on me and at this stage last season I LOVED their La Strada program. I think their other choreographer gets them better.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If it'd be anything like the newer Disney classics, they won't be very *classic*. ;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I look forward to yet another Battle of the Carmens. One can never her this music too often.:laugh:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
quiqie at FSU has posted an English translation of a long interview with Shpilband.
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-what-had-happened-between-Marina-and-me-quot

Thanks for sharing the interview, it's very interesting. I have a lot of respect for Igor. He was definitely the coach who brought American ice dancing to world level, and I'm glad he's decided to stay in the States. After seeing my favorites D/W at Skate America, I'm concerned about the loss of Igor on their team. I'm not a fan of their new FD and wonder if they would have had gotten a better program if Igor were still there. I do worry about those longstanding rumors that Zoueva favors V/M. Interesting that Meryl keeps touch with Igor via email. First of all, that shows what a nice person she is, as someone else pointed out. Second of all, I wonder if she & Charlie are keeping their options open for a possible switch to Igor in the future. When you think about it, it could solve some problems--they wouldn't have to train with V/M anymore (there's got to be tension there), and they wouldn't have to change location.

I wonder if Meryl & Charlie would switch to Igor if he attracted a new top-level choreographer to his school.